Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Stadium Opener/Sham Coin Toss thread (merged)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The new rumor is the Jets getting a Thanksgiving home game (night game)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somewhere somehow somebody is lying here. There are several parts of this story that just doesn't add up.
    1. The coin toss took place on Friday and both teams were informed then of the outcome.
    2. Why then on Saturday would the Jets post on their website that the toss will be in the next week or so when they already knew it happened?
    3. Why would the Giants say they are against a toin coss if they already knew that it happened and they won?

I think this whole coin toss smoke screen is just a way for Goodell to save face for having to make a decision that he knew would piss off one or the other. For some reason (you can insert any reason you wish) Goodell wanted the Giants to open.

Whether you care personally if the Jets play on Sunday or Monday is not the point. What happened is a fast one was pulled on the Jets. Woody has a right to be pissed and he should be out on the highest rafters screaming. Time to stand up Woody.

The scenario explained in the Times. The whole story doesn't make sense.

[QUOTE]The issue became interesting Saturday night, when an article appeared on the Jets’ Web site saying that a coin flip “will” determine who hosted the game and that the Jets had proposed a plan to have the coin flip conducted in public, in front of news media and perhaps fans. The article indicated that the coin flip would take place “in the week ahead.” But, according to the N.F.L.’s announcement, the coin flip had already happened.

On Sunday, the teams and the N.F.L. refused to acknowledge a coin flip, even though it had already happened. By Monday afternoon, the league had issued its statement, which very pointedly noted that both teams knew the outcome Friday. [/QUOTE]
    [URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/sports/football/16coin.html?ref=sports"]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/sports/football/16coin.html?ref=sports[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    why dont they just let the jets and giants play each other in week one. and paint one endzone for the giants and the other for the jets. that way both teams can say they were the firsts to play in the new stadium:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody should act like it doesn't bother him. Crying is exactly what the Giants and the NFL wanted to happen. They hazed him and he cried. He's only gonna get hazed worse next time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3528468]SAR seriously I feel your pain. I feel for you more then the others complaining here. Since I have been on this website you have been talking of how you can't wait for opening day in the new Jets Stadium - a place that will finally be our own that we won't have to answer to anyone else - not the Mets and not the Giants.

You deserve to be an honored guest at this event. This is not sarcasm. It's how I really feel.

Hope your being there on the 2nd game with your kids will be close to the feeling you were waiting for all these years and that you enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

I know what you are doing and I don't like it. Along with you, I am also one of the charter members of the "Take Advantage of the PSL Holders Who Will Have to Sell Their Tickets" Club and I already called dibs on SARs tickets.

Find your own source. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3528892]Woody should act like it doesn't bother him. Crying is exactly what the Giants and the NFL wanted to happen. They hazed him and he cried. He's only gonna get hazed worse next time.[/QUOTE]
    Please explain why the Giants and the NFL want Woody to cry?

Seems to me like the only way to end bullying is to stand up to it. If you just acquiesce it will continue and continue.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3528907]Please explain why the Giants and the NFL want Woody to cry?
    [/QUOTE]

it's the same reason why the NFL did the sham coin toss in the first place.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3528919]it's the same reason why the NFL did the sham coin toss in the first place.[/QUOTE]
    Which is what? Seniority? That's it? Gotta be more to it.
    Last edited by Queens Jet Fan; 03-16-2010 at 05:07 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3528906]I know what you are doing and I don't like it. Along with you, I am also one of the charter members of the "Take Advantage of the PSL Holders Who Will Have to Sell Their Tickets" Club and I already called dibs on SARs tickets.

Find your own source. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Sorry Crash. You're wrong this time. I have a source of tickets anytime I want. :) 7 PM Monday night games just do not work for me.

Believe it or not I do feel for SAR. He's been talking up the opening of this stadium as long as I have been reading his posts. Now he can't go. It is a shame.
    Last edited by Queens Jet Fan; 03-16-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3528922]Which is what?[/QUOTE]

to haze a younger fraternity member. To screw with someone less powerful.

this is not a schoolyard bully situation. this is a 'be careful what you wish for' situation. Woody Johnson wanted to own the Jets and this is what owning the Jets entails: taking crap from original NFL teams, who have just as much money and 50 year old grudges to settle. If he wanted to have the respect and favoritism of the NFL he could have waited around and bought the Giants... or the Cowboys... or the Redskins.

there's two ways to go with this... either be like Woody and cry to the media... and get thrown bones like MNF or be like Al Davis and wage unending legal warfare against the league... and get nothing.

The league will never "respect" any of the AFL teams like it "respects" the NFL teams. The difference is that Woody appears to want for that respect, Al Davis recognizes the reality of the situation.

I dont care if the NFL lives to be a 1000 years old, the Jets will still be a younger, less respected franchise than the Giants. it's like an older brother/younger brother situation. the Jets will never be older than the Giants. it's like mets/yankees. the Mets will never be more respected than the Yankees.

i dont think Goodell even has a role in this situation other than "pawn" - he's an arbiter between billionaires, and he works for the owners. remember goodell worked most of his career with the Jets. This isn't about Goodell. It's about the league acting in an old school way.
    Last edited by bitonti; 03-16-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure why everyone is upset. We finally have our own stadium. For the first time ever, we are the home team!

So what if the Giants get to play in our new stadium first. It's not like people are going to think this is the new Giants Stadium!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3528927]to haze a younger fraternity member. To screw with someone less powerful.

this is not a schoolyard bully situation. this is a 'be careful what you wish for' situation. Woody Johnson wanted to own the Jets and this is what owning the Jets entails: taking crap from original NFL teams, who have just as much money and 50 year old grudges to settle. If he wanted to have the respect and favoritism of the NFL he could have waited around and bought the Giants... or the Cowboys... or the Redskins.

there's two ways to go with this... either be like Woody and cry to the media... and get thrown bones like MNF or be like Al Davis and wage unending legal warfare against the league... and get nothing.

The league will never "respect" any of the AFL teams like it "respects" the NFL teams. The difference is that Woody appears to want for that respect, Al Davis recognizes the reality of the situation.

I dont care if the NFL lives to be a 1000 years old, the Jets will still be a younger, less respected franchise than the Giants. it's like an older brother/younger brother situation. the Jets will never be older than the Giants. it's like mets/yankees. the Mets will never be more respected than the Yankees.

i dont think Goodell even has a role in this situation other than "pawn" - he's an arbiter between billionaires, and he works for the owners. remember goodell worked most of his career with the Jets. This isn't about Goodell. It's about the league acting in an old school way.[/QUOTE]
    If you were talking the NFL of Pete Rozelle I would agree with you. Goodell is not from that generation and he actually got his start with the Jets. The Cowboys are not one of the original NFL teams yet they seem to have a pretty big influence with the league.

I think what works now is force of personality. Woody does not come accross as a strong force or a mover and shaker. Jerry Jones obviously does. Mara and Tisch are strong men and forces to be reckoned with.

The history with Woody is he caves. Easier for the league to give the Giants what they want.

I agree with you how the Jets will always be looked at as the younger brother to the Giants. Woody had his chance to change that but he chose not to.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3528892]Woody should act like it doesn't bother him. Crying is exactly what the Giants and the NFL wanted to happen. They hazed him and he cried. He's only gonna get hazed worse next time.[/QUOTE]

Hazing? WTF? That's a complete BS claim.

Woody has been an NFL owner for over 10 years now. In fact, he's been involved longer than the current members of the Tisch and Mara families (their fathers were involved when Woody bought the Jets). Woody has more seniority than other owners in the league. It's not like he's the new kid on the block.

Your position is ridiculous. This was a PR mess because the NFL failed to properly communicate to the parties. That's why there was conflicting information.

Don't give us this hazing crap. Especially not when the NFL is facing Laborocalypse.

Yeah, Goodell can afford to piss off owners in these times.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody had to cry to make it look good to his whiney, crybaby, I don't want to pay portion of the fanbase. Just another reason the Giants deserve the first game.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3528924]Sorry Crash. You're wrong this time. I have a source of tickets anytime I want. :) 7 PM Monday night games just do not work for me.

Believe it or not I do feel for SAR. He's been talking up the opening of this stadium as long as I have been reading his posts. Now he can't go. It is a shame.[/QUOTE]

Oh good, I was worried....for you :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3528969]Oh good, I was worried....for you :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Your concern is duly noted and appreciated. :)

Lots of luck on your new son. Enjoy him!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3528930]I'm not sure why everyone is upset.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I could care less, and never had any doubt in my mind that the Giants would open our new stadium, so i'm not at all bothered by it. Woody should stop with the crocodile tears act , and move the opening of our new stadium to the following Sunday so all Jet season ticket owners can enjoy the official Jet opening . This will avoid the humiliation of having empty seats seen on a national stage, and a nit picking media who will unfairly compare the number of Giants fans to the number of Jet fan in attendance the following night. A monday night game in september will cause problems for many of the season ticket holders.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 03-17-2010 at 01:23 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the Herd (ESPN Radio), I think the Jets got the better deal. We open in prime time under the lights on opening weekend in a Nationally televised game. The whole pregame show will be discussing the new stadium, with the Jets home field.

The Giants open on a Sunday afternoon in a regional telecast.

Also the 1st football event belongs the the Jets, which also will probably be nationally telecast. Granted it's pre-season, but one like no other.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 03-16-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares when we will have 2 more home games then them anyway. :):)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;3529076]

The Giants open on a Sunday afternoon in a regional telecast.

Also the 1st football event belongs the the Jets, which also will probably be nationally telecast. Granted it's pre-season, but one like no other.
    [/QUOTE]

Exactly, and the Jets will be the home team when we play the Giants in the 3rd pre-season game, where most of the starters play into the 3rd quarter.