Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Stadium Opener/Sham Coin Toss thread (merged)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    because Woody Johnson is a terrible owner

are you happy now, "bigshot"

enjoy the football season on your couch

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you might be more appreciated at AngryBitterOldMenWhoHateEverybodyAndEverything.com

Seems like you'd fit in there. Maybe find some peace you clearly lack in life.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    GKY

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3531754]because Woody Johnson is a terrible owner

enjoy the football season on your couch[/QUOTE]
    Game Set Match. You prove yourself for what you're worth as a poster. Zilch! You can't answer a simple question. You are useless of adding anything of substance to this board except for helping people with seat assignments.

YES THE JETS ARE VERY CONCERNED WITH PERCEPTIONS. Not me. Doesn't affact my life but it does their business. You are incapable of grabbing that concept. All you're good for is lashing out at long time and respected posters on this site .

I will say to you what you love to say to everybody you don't agree with.

GET LOST!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    what was your question again, bigshot?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3531790]what was your question again, bigshot?[/QUOTE]

You can't go back and find it? You have to ask in another post and name call, again?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    his question as I recall it was "why did the Jets want or demand the Giants to move their training facility to a location not on the Meadowlands stadium property. Since I answered THAT question specifically, I now have no idea as to which question I failed to answer.

Maybe it wasn't a question, only a "perception". Who knows?

and if you read back, I only used the name that he called me

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    :zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

With some people (and you know who you are) its like arguing with my
    wife (and perhaps your better 1/2) - you're not just fighting the issue at hand (coin flip for home opener) but revisiting many other arguments that were resolved long ago even if not to your satisfaction.

I'll net it out for all

Jets/AFL wouldnt even be around w/o Giants 50s success

Giants and a few other teams in NFL matters are like UN Security Council members - they carry an unequal, immutable weight for many reasons that have nothing to do with NYJ or our fandom

Jets move to NJ is on Hess and not Woody but it made all the sense in the world - NJ businessman moving to a newer, better, local stadium, no Mets skewing the schedule for weeks on end, more seats to fill + better tailgating for fans. GS was built expressly for the Giants and everything about it to the location from the name to the Giants success to the Jets failure to win was what it was and that is just something all Jets fans must accept and move on. The truth shall set you free!

Jets are in NJ to stay unless there is an exit clause of some kind - VIPers may know where it is in NM paperwork :rolleyes:

Most people in NY were/are Giants fans and the only way this can even begin to be challenged is if NYJ can go on a championship streak and even then the change of allegiance may [B]never [/B]occur - did the Islanders and Devils success turn local hockey fandom en masse in their favor?
    "We" can and will never stop people from liking the Giants or calling the new digs "New GS" they will do it , and do it just to anger the most sensitive among us.

Now I don't now how much of this outrage was orchestrated or not. Not playing devils advocate and assuming the coin flip result was pre-arranged and Woody's outrage is sincere what the heck more does anyone want?
    A home opener week 1 in what usually is pleasant weather day or night
    I can imagine how much more negatively Johnson'd be perceived if he didn't speak up. Who gives a FF about a SB in mid-winter that only a fraction of Jets ST holders would possibly attend!

Every "issue" over identity, location, TC sites, etc besides winning is just a neurosis with misplaced blame and misguided self-hating shame a constant. NJites mere miles from midtown are closer to and more NY than most of the LIers looking for 10 minute train rides to the stadium gate that may never happen again in this or the next century. Instead of jousting at windmills (the Jets, woody, other more centered fans) with your middle finger I'd suggest some strolling with it in the Yellow Pages for a shrink.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]sg3 you know I love ya, SAR but....[/B]

You know I love you too, sg3, but....

[B]Jets fans and the Jets franchise got the best of the deal because of the brouhaha that our owner stirred up. The Jets got the more prestigious game of the opening weekend games --- the nationally televised MNF slot watched by ALL NFL fans vs an ordinary 4 PM Sunday slot watched by Giant fans and their opponents fans and nobody else, [/B]

There is nothing 'prestigious' about MNF anymore, especially Week 1 when there's a Thursday game, no bye's, a full complement of Sunday games, a Sunday night game, and [U]two[/U] Monday night games. Don't know about you, but by Monday night Week 1 I am done with football, would rather watch the Yankees. I watched last year, but only because of the Patriots. Went to sleep before the Charger game entered the second quarter.

[B]In addition Woody was awarded a Thanksgiving night game at home which is not only another prime time exposure for the team but a competitive advantage for a team playing a a short week (vs the three teams that have to travel in a four day week to play on that day at least) and the even more significant 10 day break until the next game which is for all intents and purposes a second bye week.[/B]

At some point, the NFL has to take the fans into consideration, dontcha think? Home opener to roll out a new stadium on a Monday night? Key home game on Thanksgiving? What about the 50% of the season ticket holders who have families that can't make those games easily? Wouldn't just 1 of these 2 painful games have been enough? The Patriots and Vikings games are easily the two best games on the entire home schedule. Both those games are now a massive PITA to attend.

[B]So in summary, Woody stood up for the franchise and for the vast majority of Jet fans. [/B]

This part, you got right. However:

1. I would rather Woody have said "no way" to the Thanksgiving game in light of the inconvenience of the opening Monday nighter.

...and/or...

2. I would rather Woody had said that we'd take our stadium opener on Week 2 on a glorious 1pm Sunday. Losing the flip to the Giants is one issue, being shoved into the Monday night slot is an entirely different issue.

[B]I am empathetic to your situation being a passionate Jet fan who lives 3 states away (as I am for Boynton Beach Jets) who is obviously inconvenienced by these night prime time games in terms of taking your family to NJ for them but I think that it is obvious that Woody, by standing up for the Jets won this particular battle.[/B]

It's not just me.....plenty of New Yorkers coming off of summer vacation won't feel comfortable sneaking out of work at 2pm to get a little tailgating in and beat the traffic. Especially those executive types who, you know, could afford the PSL's.

[B]I won't comment on QJF and his "perception" argument other to say that he is starting to sound like Mangini and his "process" argument[/B]

Until QJF takes TJTW to the mat for the things he disagrees with, they're the same person.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3531739]I'm sure the posts at patsdicks.com would be far more enjoyable to you, Vinny

why not go there and enjoy them

and then

GKY[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sg3;3531754]because Woody Johnson is a terrible owner

enjoy the football season on your couch[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sg3;3531758]GKY[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sg3;3531790]what was your question again, bigshot?[/QUOTE]

I'm getting sick of finding this crap in every thread you post in...

It's a beautiful day go play outside for a while.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=newjetfan;3531672]
    Us common folk after thanksgivng dinner could have jumped on NJ transit, metro north or LIRR 45 minutes before game time with a tall boy in hand and go to Manhattan game quick and still had family time. Woody you suck.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to disagree with this point real quick.

The WSS would have been about a ten minute walk/cab ride w. traffic from Penn, much further from GC for all the Metro North folk.

On average, you would be talking about 45 minutes for the common folk suburban fan to get to Penn or GC, then 10 or 15 to the WSS. We'll say an hour total.

With the current new meadowlands, there is an easy train connection from herald square (PATH) to Hoboken (~20 minutes), then on a shuttle train which takes ~20 minutes direct to the stadium (which you CAN and are [B]encouraged[/B] to drink on, whereas I can't say the same about Metro North, NJ Transit, or LIRR).

So all we're talking about is about 40 minutes from manhattan to the front gates, versus, if going to the WSS, we'll say an average of 15 minutes from your station in manhattan to the front gates.

Sure it's a little more time, but even both ways it's not going to ruin your day.

Don't get me wrong I would have loved the WSS as much as anybody. But I think the direct rail line to the Meadowlands deserves some credit, because it's pretty reasonably quick from Manhattan, and like I said they encourage you to drink and have a good time onboard.

EDIT- Forgot the WSS was supposed to be around 34th st on 11th. I'm wrong about the time from penn to it, you're right it would be very quick. Still though, doesn't account for Metro North people.
    Last edited by Astoria; 03-19-2010 at 12:04 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3531816][B].[/B]

It's not just me.....plenty of New Yorkers coming off of summer vacation won't feel comfortable sneaking out of work at 2pm to get a little tailgating in and beat the traffic. Especially those executive types who, you know, could afford the PSL's.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I'm not advocating anyone from out of state taking their kids out of school in order to attend MNF but surely you or others in your group have some vacation days?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Astoria;3531826]Just wanted to disagree with this point real quick.

The WSS would have been about a ten minute walk/cab ride w. traffic from Penn, much further from GC for all the Metro North folk.

On average, you would be talking about 45 minutes for the common folk suburban fan to get to Penn or GC, then 10 or 15 to the WSS. We'll say an hour total.

With the current new meadowlands, there is an easy train connection from herald square (PATH) to Hoboken (~20 minutes), then on a shuttle train which takes ~20 minutes direct to the stadium (which you CAN and are [B]encouraged[/B] to drink on, whereas I can't say the same about Metro North, NJ Transit, or LIRR).

So all we're talking about is about 40 minutes from manhattan to the front gates, versus, if going to the WSS, we'll say an average of 15 minutes from your station in manhattan to the front gates.

Sure it's a little more time, but even both ways it's not going to ruin your day.

Don't get me wrong I would have loved the WSS as much as anybody. But I think the direct rail line to the Meadowlands deserves some credit, because it's pretty reasonably quick from Manhattan, and like I said they encourage you to drink and have a good time onboard.

EDIT- Forgot the WSS was supposed to be around 34th st on 11th. I'm wrong about the time from penn to it, you're right it would be very quick. Still though, doesn't account for Metro North people.[/QUOTE]

the real question is where are all those schools that were promised to the children who couldn't get a quality American education* with the a world-class stadium in the way? **** you Dolan, I hope cablevision burns

*=we're ****ed.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3531824]I'm getting sick of finding this crap in every thread you post in...

It's a beautiful day go play outside for a while.[/QUOTE]

Some posters make your job easy.:coocoo::bigcry::steamin::eek:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3531824]I'm getting sick of finding this crap in every thread you post in...

[B]It's a beautiful day to be banned[/B].[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

:applause::applause::applause:

And you are correct, It's freakin' beautiful outside. I think I'll follow your sage advice!

My weekend starts NOW.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;3531814]:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

With some people (and you know who you are) its like arguing with my
    wife (and perhaps your better 1/2) - you're not just fighting the issue at hand (coin flip for home opener) but revisiting many other arguments that were resolved long ago even if not to your satisfaction.

I'll net it out for all

Jets/AFL wouldnt even be around w/o Giants 50s success

Giants and a few other teams in NFL matters are like UN Security Council members - they carry an unequal, immutable weight for many reasons that have nothing to do with NYJ or our fandom

Jets move to NJ is on Hess and not Woody but it made all the sense in the world - NJ businessman moving to a newer, better, local stadium, no Mets skewing the schedule for weeks on end, more seats to fill + better tailgating for fans. GS was built expressly for the Giants and everything about it to the location from the name to the Giants success to the Jets failure to win was what it was and that is just something all Jets fans must accept and move on. The truth shall set you free!

Jets are in NJ to stay unless there is an exit clause of some kind - VIPers may know where it is in NM paperwork :rolleyes:

Most people in NY were/are Giants fans and the only way this can even begin to be challenged is if NYJ can go on a championship streak and even then the change of allegiance may [B]never [/B]occur - did the Islanders and Devils success turn local hockey fandom en masse in their favor?
    "We" can and will never stop people from liking the Giants or calling the new digs "New GS" they will do it , and do it just to anger the most sensitive among us.

Now I don't now how much of this outrage was orchestrated or not. Not playing devils advocate and assuming the coin flip result was pre-arranged and Woody's outrage is sincere what the heck more does anyone want?
    A home opener week 1 in what usually is pleasant weather day or night
    I can imagine how much more negatively Johnson'd be perceived if he didn't speak up. Who gives a FF about a SB in mid-winter that only a fraction of Jets ST holders would possibly attend!

Every "issue" over identity, location, TC sites, etc besides winning is just a neurosis with misplaced blame and misguided self-hating shame a constant. NJites mere miles from midtown are closer to and more NY than most of the LIers looking for 10 minute train rides to the stadium gate that may never happen again in this or the next century. Instead of jousting at windmills (the Jets, woody, other more centered fans) with your middle finger I'd suggest some strolling with it in the Yellow Pages for a shrink.[/QUOTE]

who exactly are you chastising here exactly? and for someone so bored with the conversation, you seem to only add fuel to the fire.

it seems those "upset" with ancient, ancient history (like myself) are the only ones not crying about the silly coin flip. no windmill fighting here. just pointing out what should have been expected given historical trackrecord. people getting emotional are the ones who don't like the message, so they flame the messenger.

but seriously, if you're above an argument, be above the argument. the holier than thou shctick is boring too.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Astoria;3531826]

EDIT- Forgot the WSS was supposed to be around 34th st on 11th. I'm wrong about the time from penn to it, you're right it would be very quick. Still though, doesn't account for Metro North people.[/QUOTE]

FYI - Metro North is suppose to have access to Penn Station by 2017. Not that it matters... ;)
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 03-19-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3531892]who exactly are you chastising here exactly? and for someone so bored with the conversation, you seem to only add fuel to the fire.

it seems those "upset" with ancient, ancient history (like myself) are the only ones not crying about the silly coin flip. no windmill fighting here. just pointing out what should have been expected given historical trackrecord. people getting emotional are the ones who don't like the message, so they flame the messenger.

but seriously, if you're above an argument, be above the argument. the holier than thou shctick is boring too.[/QUOTE]

TJ - as an ex-LIer, I have always tended to lean towards the "Bring'em Home" crowd, although its certainly not the highest of priorities of my Jets concerns.

Quick question for you though....in many of your posts, you have referenced the concept of "What did Jet fans expect?" or "Was there any doubt that the Giants wouldn't get the first home game".

Are you insinuating that the coin toss was a sham, or are you saying fate has struck again? (or just arguing for the sake of arguing - like SAR does)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a beautiful day go play outside for a while.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

sg3 banned?

But his posts are so informative and well thought out? :zzz:

I hope he doesn't GKH.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3531899]TJ - as an ex-LIer, I have always tended to lean towards the "Bring'em Home" crowd, although its certainly not the highest of priorities of my Jets concerns.

Quick question for you though....in many of your posts, you have referenced the concept of "What did Jet fans expect?" or "Was there any doubt that the Giants wouldn't get the first home game".

Are you insinuating that the coin toss was a sham, or are you saying fate has struck again? (or just arguing for the sake of arguing - like SAR does)[/QUOTE]

Fate had *nothing* to do with the Giants hosting the first game.

If a coin was actually involved, it was flipped only until it produced a Mara-Tish favored result.

The Giants were always going to get this game. If a pure coin-flip were to decide who got the first game, they could have made it into a made-for-TV event in the middle of Times Square. Both teams need to sell more PSLs and any awareness around the new stadium would have been welcome publicity.

Think about the opportunity/publicity lost in not playing up "The Flip".