Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Stadium Opener/Sham Coin Toss thread (merged)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3526706]Per Gay Myers.

[/QUOTE]

Not that there's anything [I][B]wrong[/B][/I] with that.

Btw, who cares who plays the first game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not all that pissed about the stadium being shared as I am about the Giants and the NFL still pushing the Jets around like, "It's still our house." Come on, that's what's really the issue here. We might have fronted a huge bill, but that doesn't change how certain people are treating the Jets in this situation. And to me this still screams 2nd class citizen. The Jets should have opened up this stadium.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3526832]this is IMO the dumbest NON ISSUE ever discussed here at JI at least since I have posted here.

Who gives a F

Let the Giants have week one

I'd rather have Week TWENTY any day[/QUOTE]

How many seasons have the Jets opened the season at home the past 30 years?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]I feel very strongly about this. I sent this to the NFL and the Jets and am posting this on any board I am a member of.[/B]

I had intended to send this email a few weeks ago. Although I did not expect to actually be taken seriously, I was hoping that as a fan I could pleed my case just so you could hear both another side of the argument (in case the message had not gotten across before).

Although I will admit that I am far from unbiased in my sentiments, I have to say I think the Jets should be the ones to host the first regular season game at the new meadowlands stadium. Here are my reasons:

1) The last time the Jets opened at home was 2007. This was three years ago, meaning that if the Jets open up on the road again, it will be a minimum of four years between home openers (minimum of five if there is a lockout). A home opener is overdue.

2) Within the last ten years, the Jets have only opened at home four times. This means they've only opened at home 40% of the time. Consider that before the year 2000, the Jets only opened up at home four times previously since the move to the Meadowlands in 1984 (1989, 1991, 1993, 1999). When taking that account, the Jets have only opened up at home 30.7% of the time. Again, a home opener (and a true balance of home openers) is overdue.

3) I remember reading in the 90s a person who made the following comment about the old stadium(I'm paraphrasing): "Giants fans call the stadium Giants Stadium, whereas Jets fans call the stadium the Meadowlands. The name on the stadium says Giants Stadium so that is what it should be called." However the official name on the new stadium is "New Meadowlands Stadium" (temporary I know), but this has not stopped many people from calling the stadium the "New Giants Stadium" even though the Jets (and the fans like myself who are paying PSLs btw) the bill. Some do it with malice (such as Mike Francessca) whereas others do it out of carelessness (such as Howard David on Sirius NFL radio). If the Jets do not open the season at home, it will re-emphasize this even further. Put it this way, do you really think anybody will call it "Jets Stadium" if the Jets opened at home?

Again I know I'm looking at this from a biased stand point but to me there is only one argument the Giants have on their side in terms of why they should open and that is "The Jets closed out the old stadium". However, it is my contention that when the schedule was made it was assumed that the Giants would host a home playoff game (as they were super bowl contenders this time last year) and therefore the intention was they would host the last game anyway (a playoff game). The Jets should not be penalized because of this assumption.

I have to say that when I look at these arguments, I really can't see one solid reason the Jets should not open the year at home to christen the new stadium. I've always tried not to think about this, but it almost seems like the NFL holds the Giants organization and their fans in much higher regard than the Jets and their fans. The debacle that happened with last year's schedule (with the week 2 and 3 Giant games both being scheduled around the Jewish holidays, and the Jets not being extended that same courtesy) further adds to this perception.

I've now gotten word (I'm hoping is not true) that the NFL conducted the coin toss already without team officials present and the Jets lost. I have to say that considering the rumors the Giants were going to get the home opener anyway, I'm skeptical that there actually was a coin toss. If the Jets are to open 2010 on the road without at least a fair process to determine who opens at home (such as a coin toss that is witnessed by officials from both teams), than to me this will cement my opinion (and frankly the opinions of many others) that the NFL holds the Giants and their fans in higher regard. If this is the case, as a Jet fan:

-Why am I investing thousands of dollars in Personal Seat Licenses?
    -Why am I investing thousands of dollars in season tickets?
    -Why do I invest hundreds of dollars per year to watch the NFL and listen about the news (NFL Sunday Ticket, Sirius NFL Radio, etc)?
    -Why do I invest hundreds of dollars per year on NFL gear (jerseys, shirts, etc)?
    -Why do I invest time and effort in other activities involving the NFL (such as fantasy football)?
    -Why do I invest time and effort to watch games that don't involve the Jets or their rivals (such as watching a Bears-Packers game for instance) when there are other programs that I could be watching (or other activities not involving television I could be doing)?

Why am I doing all of this if you're making it clear that you don't think as highly of me as you do a Giants fan in a similar position? And given this, why should I continue to support a league that takes any of its fans for granted (and not simply cash out the PSLs and move on to another league or sport)?

BTW, I'm posting a copy of this on all Jets message boards and sending out an email to as many people as I can. If you really want to make it clear that the Jets and their fans are held in the same regard that you hold Giants fans, I strongly urge you to reconsider.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3526844]How many seasons have the Jets opened the season at home the past 30 years?[/QUOTE]

That right there is the truth. We're always opening up on the road.

Better yet, would the Giants even have a new stadium if the Jets weren't aggressively looking to build their own? No, they'd still be playing in Giants Stadium across the parking lot. The Jets are the reason they even built a new stadium. This really is BS.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;3526833]I'm not going to argue the lack of necessity to the new stadium.

Weren't the Jets treated like crap at Shea? Other than the name on the concrete, it seemed the meadowlands was a better move. I could be wrong on that...but the point is, the Jets are equal partners in this stadium right now. If this coin flip thing is true...I agree, it's BS, and woody has a right to be pissed.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Jets were treated like crap by the mets at Shea. Moving to the meadowlands was a better business decision for the bottom line but it was not a good football move for the team. The travel alone from their team headquarters to Jersey was a disadvantage for the team not to mention how rough it was on the fans from Long Island to make that trip. There are many other issues as well but that is another topic for another time.

The reason this bothers me so much is because it seems shady. It reeks of playing favorites and of back door deals. And because of our history and relationship with the giants, it puts salt in the wound. On a positive note, Rex should be able to play up the disrespect card with this stunt.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3526842]I'm not all that pissed about the stadium being shared as I am about the Giants and the NFL still pushing the Jets around like, "It's still our house." Come on, that's what's really the issue here. We might have fronted a huge bill, but that doesn't change how certain people are treating the Jets in this situation. And to me this still screams 2nd class citizen. The Jets should have opened up this stadium.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the only issue is the fact that the Jets did not get an equal chance at opening the stadium. Everyone knows w/o a rep. present that the coin toss is a sham. That's the only thing to be pissed at.

We'll always be able to relish the fact that the Giants got trounced in their last game in their stadium and the Jets closed it out in style.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They did the toss, we lost, time to move on. There was a 50/50 chance this could happen.

There's no anti-Jets conspiracy. The league didn't fix anything.

Should we have had a rep there? Probably.

Does it matter? Not at all.

You're all just sounding like a bunch of crybabies.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;3526846][B]I feel very strongly about this. I sent this to the NFL and the Jets and am posting this on any board I am a member of.[/B]

I had intended to send this email a few weeks ago. Although I did not expect to actually be taken seriously, I was hoping that as a fan I could pleed my case just so you could hear both another side of the argument (in case the message had not gotten across before).

Although I will admit that I am far from unbiased in my sentiments, I have to say I think the Jets should be the ones to host the first regular season game at the new meadowlands stadium. Here are my reasons:

1) The last time the Jets opened at home was 2007. This was three years ago, meaning that if the Jets open up on the road again, it will be a minimum of four years between home openers (minimum of five if there is a lockout). A home opener is overdue.

2) Within the last ten years, the Jets have only opened at home four times. This means they've only opened at home 40% of the time. Consider that before the year 2000, the Jets only opened up at home four times previously since the move to the Meadowlands in 1984 (1989, 1991, 1993, 1999). When taking that account, the Jets have only opened up at home 30.7% of the time. Again, a home opener (and a true balance of home openers) is overdue.

3) I remember reading in the 90s a person who made the following comment about the old stadium(I'm paraphrasing): "Giants fans call the stadium Giants Stadium, whereas Jets fans call the stadium the Meadowlands. The name on the stadium says Giants Stadium so that is what it should be called." However the official name on the new stadium is "New Meadowlands Stadium" (temporary I know), but this has not stopped many people from calling the stadium the "New Giants Stadium" even though the Jets (and the fans like myself who are paying PSLs btw) the bill. Some do it with malice (such as Mike Francessca) whereas others do it out of carelessness (such as Howard David on Sirius NFL radio). If the Jets do not open the season at home, it will re-emphasize this even further. Put it this way, do you really think anybody will call it "Jets Stadium" if the Jets opened at home?

Again I know I'm looking at this from a biased stand point but to me there is only one argument the Giants have on their side in terms of why they should open and that is "The Jets closed out the old stadium". However, it is my contention that when the schedule was made it was assumed that the Giants would host a home playoff game (as they were super bowl contenders this time last year) and therefore the intention was they would host the last game anyway (a playoff game). The Jets should not be penalized because of this assumption.

I have to say that when I look at these arguments, I really can't see one solid reason the Jets should not open the year at home to christen the new stadium. I've always tried not to think about this, but it almost seems like the NFL holds the Giants organization and their fans in much higher regard than the Jets and their fans. The debacle that happened with last year's schedule (with the week 2 and 3 Giant games both being scheduled around the Jewish holidays, and the Jets not being extended that same courtesy) further adds to this perception.

I've now gotten word (I'm hoping is not true) that the NFL conducted the coin toss already without team officials present and the Jets lost. I have to say that considering the rumors the Giants were going to get the home opener anyway, I'm skeptical that there actually was a coin toss. If the Jets are to open 2010 on the road without at least a fair process to determine who opens at home (such as a coin toss that is witnessed by officials from both teams), than to me this will cement my opinion (and frankly the opinions of many others) that the NFL holds the Giants and their fans in higher regard. If this is the case, as a Jet fan:

-Why do I invest hundreds of dollars per year to watch the NFL and listen about the news (NFL Sunday Ticket, Sirius NFL Radio, etc)?
    -Why do I invest hundreds of dollars per year on NFL gear (jerseys, shirts, etc)?
    -Why do I invest time and effort in other activities involving the NFL (such as fantasy football)?
    -Why do I invest time and effort to watch games that don't involve the Jets or their rivals (such as watching a Bears-Packers game for instance) when there are other programs that I could be watching (or other activities not involving television I could be doing)?

Why am I doing all of this if you're making it clear that you don't think as highly of me as you do a Giants fan in a similar position? And given this, why should I continue to support a league that takes any of its fans for granted (and not simply cash out the PSLs and move on to another league or sport)?

BTW, I'm posting a copy of this on all Jets message boards and sending out an email to as many people as I can. If you really want to make it clear that the Jets and their fans are held in the same regard that you hold Giants fans, I strongly urge you to reconsider.[/QUOTE]

+10000000000000000

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This really sucks. Once again we are the 2nd class citizens.. Really wanted this game. Oh well.

We will get the 1st win in the new house anyways!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;3526846][B]I feel very strongly about this. I sent this to the NFL and the Jets and am posting this on any board I am a member of.[/B]

BTW, I'm posting a copy of this on all Jets message boards and sending out an email to as many people as I can. If you really want to make it clear that the Jets and their fans are held in the same regard that you hold Giants fans, I strongly urge you to reconsider.[/QUOTE]

Solid post

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done!!!

Send it to all the NY papers, NY TV stations, NY Jets, ESPN, NFL Network too.

Get alittle ground swell of outrage going especially since you have black and white facts to back up the inequity.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like conspiracy theories as much as the next guy, but what if there really was a coin toss and the Giants just won it? 50% chance and all that.

Of course, if the report is accurate, then I think the NFL was just stupid in not having team reps present. Just gives the conspiracy theorists ammunition, and turns it into a bigger story.

By the way, I'm in the camp of those who don't care. I have no problems with starting the year with a road win.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3526855]They did the toss, we lost, time to move on. There was a 50/50 chance this could happen.

You're all just sounding like a bunch of crybabies.[/QUOTE]

by your standard, none of this should matter-its only sports.

we will move on, but fans that understand their team's history [B]care[/B]. Good fans are passionate. And thus, they [B]care[/B].

Please don't pretend like your above it all when you spend considerable time posting on a jets forum.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-15-2010 at 01:14 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    why do it in secret? if it's done in secret that means there is something to hide.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3526842]I'm not all that pissed about the stadium being shared as I am about the Giants and the NFL still pushing the Jets around like, "It's still our house." Come on, that's what's really the issue here. We might have fronted a huge bill, but that doesn't change how certain people are treating the Jets in this situation. And to me this still screams 2nd class citizen. The Jets should have opened up this stadium.[/QUOTE]

ports Stories NY Jets lose 'secret' coin flip to open new stadium
    By Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger
    March 15, 2010, 12:44PM

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerJets owner Woody Johnson, left, and Giants co-owner John Mara overlook new stadium.
    The Gaints won a "secret" coin toss at the league office on Monday morning to determine who would host the first regular-season game ever at the new Meadowlands stadium and Jets owner Woody Johnson is said to be livid because the team didn't have any representation there.

The Jets badly wanted to host the game and have taken note of the fact that the Giants have played in the season-opener at the old Giants Stadium in 12 of the past 16 seasons

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IMO we are still second class citizens!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3526855]They did the toss, we lost, time to move on. There was a 50/50 chance this could happen.

You're all just sounding like a bunch of crybabies.[/QUOTE]

... there is a bridge i have to sell you ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;3526871]by your standard, none of this should matter-its only sports.

we will move on, but fans that understand their team's history care. Good fans are passionate. And thus, they care.

Please don't pretend like your above it all when you spend considerable time posting on a jets forum.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely great post.

BTW, anyone saying this shouldn't be an outrage, realize what Woody wanted. He wanted the two teams standing on the 50 yard line doing a televised coin flip. That's absolutely not what happened here. If it was really in the best interest of the league, why would they not televise this? It would most certainly get ratings.
    Last edited by southside; 03-15-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3526844]How many seasons have the Jets opened the season at home the past 30 years?[/QUOTE]

another "Who gives an F" issue IMO

when the schedule is released, I bet that the Giants and the Jets will both have eight regular season games in the new stadium.

This is not quite like the old days when the Jets had to play home games on the road in October in Pittsburgh because the Mets were in the postseason and the Jets were not allowed, by contract, to play football on the sacred turf of the Dunghole in Queens until the stupid Boreball season was completed.

So once again, week TWO is fine with me if that is how it works out.

More importantly, the last time the Giants and Jets played a regular season game, it was a Giant home game so in the normal rotation, the first time the two teams meet again in a real game (in 2011, I believe, if there is football) the game should be a Jet home game.

I personally invite ALL fine JI posters who have purchased tickets in the beautiful new stadium (543 per the latest count on the JI seating spreadsheet....

[url]http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Amg-KdnzjZW7dGQ1LXdqM2wyenNFT3NRZHN4RXVGcUE&hl=en[/url]

to that contest at which time we will shout our lungs out and help the Jets to another victory on the road to their Superbowl Repeat season

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    schedule was probably created long before the request for a coin toss and the league pretended to accomodate woody.