Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Stadium Opener/Sham Coin Toss thread (merged)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fredmertz;3528348]Exactly what they did when the Jets were scheduled for the last game of Giants Stadium -- nothing.[/QUOTE]

because they thought they would in the end, the playoffs

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3528475]SARsy, keep me in mind, will ya. I'd rather buy them from a reputed source like yourself then meet some guy under a BQE overpass in the dead of night to make a ticket exchange. :D[/QUOTE]

Does that exchange include a bag of heroin or crack? Haha. That sounds pretty shady.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3528391]I don't cater to people's kids. That's their problem, quit expecting the rest of us to make it our problem too. Get a baby sitter. If it's not an environment for your kids, then they shouldn't be there. End of story. The NFL isn't for kids entertainment. It's for adults.

I'm really tired of people trying to make everyone think about their kids.[/QUOTE]

For the remaining 399 regular season games over the next 50 years, I couldn't agree with you more.

For the 1 regular season game that inaugurates our brand new stadium, the last such event for the next 50 years, I disagree completely.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3528428]Can you please say that a little louder for those obtuse individuals who insist if Goodell said he flipped a coin its incumbant upon us to just accept that at face value, despite the fact that he chose to conduct the first secret coin toss in league history (to the best of my knowledge), there have been rumors all along he wanted to give this game to the Giants anyway, and he even seemed reluctant to use a coin flip until the Jets went public with that request

But pay that no mind because Goodell says he flipped a coin as his flunkies can attest

Were the Jets invited?

Nope, but his secretary saw him flip that coin :thumbup:[/QUOTE]
    Lol.. You know what though, we win. We -technically- open the stadium (preseason, but that game will be a sellout, and while obviously not meaningful, just opening the stadium for the first time will be a huge celebration, etc, etc).. & we get the Monday night game opening the stadium to the nation! -I'll take it :yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3528365]Keep that political jargon off the Strip.[/QUOTE]

You object to bit comparing the NFL to China, but not to the dig at Paterson? Weird.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing missing from this article...blue poms poms!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3528498]You know what I think happened, opera, and this is just my opinion?

If you recall when Goodell decided to destory the evidence in SpyGate, the Jets pretty much played ball and backed the league (i.e. Goodell), because I suspect Goodell told Woody the league's integrity is at stake here and we really need you to just swallow this one despite being the victim so we can make this go away ASAP ... and Woody was a good soldier and complied, pretty much taking the public position the commish did nothing wrong and we're fully satisfied with the way this was handled.

Well I suspect Goodell, like most human beings, took that as a sign of weakness, that somehow if push comes to shove Woody can be rolled, all he needs to do is drop that "best interest of the league" speil on the Woodman ... and he incorrectly assumed he could give the opener to the Giants, say he conducted a secret coin toss, and Woody would just swallow it rather than call the integrity of the league (i.e. commish) into question.

But this time Woody DID NOT play ball[/QUOTE]

I agree with every word you wrote: I just read this online.

Has New York tossed Super Bowl chances away?

By IRA KAUFMAN | The Tampa Tribune

Published: March 16, 2010

TAMPA That joint bid by the Jets and Giants to land the 2014 Super Bowl for the New York area may have suddenly sprung a leak.

Tampa Bay and South Florida also submitted proposals to host the NFL's showcase game in 2014 and owners are expected to select a site during the May meetings in Dallas.

The Giants and Jets have shared a stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., for the past 26 seasons and the clubs have both contributed to the construction costs for a $1.6 billion open-air facility that will open later this year. The league waived its Super Bowl weather requirements to accept the New York bid and the new stadium in the Meadowlands is considered the front-runner to land the 2014 game, with the backing of Commissioner Roger Goodell.

But Goodell may reconsider his role as an advocate following the stinging rebuke he just received from Jets owner Woody Johnson.

Knowing the Giants and Jets each wanted to play host to the inaugural regular-season game at the new stadium, Goodell said he ordered a coin flip at league headquarters in New York Friday to resolve the issue.

The NFL announced the Giants won the coin flip and will be the home club for the first game Sept. 12, with the Jets serving as the home team the following evening on "Monday Night Football."

Johnson is livid about the way the league office conducted the coin flip, with no representative invited from either the Jets or Giants.

"An NFL coin toss has a few fundamental elements that are missing here," Johnson said, "most notably the presence of the teams involved. The league departed from our time-honored tradition and declined the opportunity to set the matter straight with a transparent process."

Goodell has rarely been called out by any NFL owner during his tenure and it's unclear how Johnson's criticism will affect his support for the region's efforts to secure the first Super Bowl to be played in a cold-weather, open-air stadium.

Goodell's recommendation to owners is considered critical to the New York bid.

When Arizona withdrew its 2014 Super Bowl bid last month, it left the Bay area and South Florida as the only warm-weather alternatives to the New York proposal. Miami has played host to two of the last four Super Bowls and the May vote is likely to come down to a competition between Tampa Bay and the Meadowlands, where the average high in early February is 39 degrees.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3528498]You know what I think happened, opera, and this is just my opinion?

If you recall when Goodell decided to destory the evidence in SpyGate, the Jets pretty much played ball and backed the league (i.e. Goodell), because I suspect Goodell told Woody the league's integrity is at stake here and we really need you to just swallow this one despite being the victim so we can make this go away ASAP ... and Woody was a good soldier and complied, pretty much taking the public position the commish did nothing wrong and we're fully satisfied with the way this was handled.

Well I suspect Goodell, like most human beings, took that as a sign of weakness, that somehow if push comes to shove Woody can be rolled, all he needs to do is drop that "best interest of the league" speil on the Woodman ... and he incorrectly assumed he could give the opener to the Giants, say he conducted a secret coin toss, and Woody would just swallow it rather than call the integrity of the league (i.e. commish) into question.

Ham I don't know if this conspiracy theory is true or not but you are forgetting in your analysis Woody's biggest sign of weakness to the NFL.

Woody was real close to a deal for a stadium in Queens. The Giants were furious. They were in litigation with the State of NJ about their lease with GS and the State was refusing to entertain any ideas of a new stadium without the Jets.

The Giants could not bear to be the steptchild with the Jets the marquis team in NYC and them playing in a run down (in their mind) or rennovated GS.

They pressured the NFL and Tagliabue came running to the JETS pleading with them the give Jersey a shot and team up with the Giants. Tagliabue and the acting Governor of NJ strongarmed Woody and he caved.

This is the payback that Woody gets from the NFL for his cave. Weak just plain weak.

I'm thrilled that Woody is finally showing some spine. Too bad it's too late.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    As of this moment, the Jets are the better show in town.

If winning is their criteria, the Jets did a lot more winning last season. The Giants just gave up like p_ssies at the very end. I remember watching the Giants game at 1 pm this past season waiting for the Jets/Colts game to start and thinking, "why am I wasting my buffalo wings by eating them while watching this game?" In the third quarter of the Giants game I switched over to the Music Channels and got ready for the Jets game.

As of this moment, how are the VaGiants the better show in town? They certainly didn't play like it.

Good for them that they won a recent superbowl. Right now they play like dogshhh. If by winning he means "the superbowl" the Jets are a lot closer in talent than the VaGiants. Recent doesn't cut it in the NFL. Pennington had a good season with the Jets recently (2002). LaMont Jordan had promise recently. Chad Morton was a nasty returner, recently. Shockey was a great TE for a year recently. Plaxico was uncoverable, recently. Tyree had a job, recently. Oh thats right, they're all irrelevant now. Right now, the Jets are far better.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I like having an owner that shows some guts and stands up for his franchise. Its about time.

I am so sick and tired of the perception of the giants as this holier than thou class act of an organization. Their fans throw snowballs, leave games early, kill others driving home drunk from games, and boo their own team just like you, me, and any other gate-D classless Jets fan.

Mike Fatcesa cant shutup about how great the families of the giants ownership are. Pope Wellington was a whining baby back in the late 60's, when Namath stole his little spotlight and his team was terrible. His animosity towards the Jets and the AFL was a large contribution to the eventual merger. It was the classy vagiants who broke the unwritten rule that each league would refrain from signing the other's players. But, if you ask any delusional fat afternoon drive radio host in this city, Pope Wellington and the rest of their organization are saints.

Woody - I said it this morning and I will say it again: Buy the naming rights to the stadium for $25Mil a year, call it "Jets Stadium", and put the 12.5Mil share that you get right back in your pocket.

Suck it big blow.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think about this. If you spend $850 million dollars of your own money and then get slighted and too by someone who actually works for you...how would you feel ?

I think Woody's reaction is justified under the circumstances.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Toooon;3528476]Totally agree. Woody didn't create the situation, but he continued it for the next 99 years. Live with your failures, Woody. Only yourself to blame.[/QUOTE]

I've heard, from someone in the know, that there is a buyout clause after 15 years or so. But still, point taken.

I agree with the thrust of the argument in the article, but I also feel that Woody and the Jets (and the Giants for that matter) have a right to be present at the coin toss, if for no other reason than to see the results with their own eyes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the giants are more important to the nfl than the jets. the ratings are higher, they have a bigger fan base and the nfc has many of the top markets in the nfl (ny, phily, sf, washington) which were borne out of the old nfl.

the emerging issue for the nfl is that the jets are suddenly very relevant, not just a mangini/chad relevant, but a nationally-recognized rex/sanchez/LT/tannenbaum/woody relevant, and it doesn't look like they're going away anytime soon. so even if the nfl placates the giants here, the jets are no longer background fodder.

this is a new jets regime that the nfl hasn't seen in a long time. they have a savvy GM, a willing and active owner, and now they added a legit qb and head coach. the nfl will give the jets plenty of prime time exposure as long as this is the case. in the end, winning will dictate things and i think that if the jets had at least made the super bowl last year they'd have 'won' this coin toss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan;3528549]I've heard, from someone in the know, that there is a buyout clause after 15 years or so. But still, point taken.

I agree with the thrust of the argument in the article, but I also feel that Woody and the Jets (and the Giants for that matter) have a right to be present at the coin toss, if for no other reason than to see the results with their own eyes.[/QUOTE]

So the Jets can buy themselves out after 15 years, build their own stadium and charge new PSLs?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3528560]So the Jets can buy themselves out after 15 years, build their own stadium and charge new PSLs?[/QUOTE]

Basically haha

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look, we all knew that our only shot to get the opening game was to win the super bowl last season, which would have earned us the Thursday Night Opener.

Who are we kidding? The giants invented football.

Do they play Carolina? I'd love to see Matt Moore put up 40pts in consecutive games against them, followed by a Jets win over Miami on MNF.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    How come they did not video tape it & put it out on YT for all the world to see? :mad:

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3528536]Sadly you are correct, and as the old saying goes, if you lie down with pigs you are bound to get dirty

Thinking he could partner with the Giants on a stadium and be treated like an actual partner was a colossal mistake

Did you see that statement the Giants released after this sham of a coin toss?

It reads like one Giant "FU" to Woody and the Jets[/QUOTE]

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing that matters: which team wins the first super bowl in the new stadium. If the Jets go out and win the first in the new stadium then this becomes Jets Stadium. Plain and simple!:)

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Whether we play on Sunday or Monday night is way down the list of things I care about right now - the draft, Sanchez's development, Leon's rehab, all more important. I think the Monday night game is a better deal anyways :dunno:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I said earlier...this is about ratings and the NFL wants to get as much as they can out of this opening weekend. With the Super Bowl winner getting Thursday, this is the best they can do.

The only place the Jets could play on Sunday was at 1PM. The NFL wants to keep CBS happy and they would go crazy if they were on Fox at 4:15 against an NFC team against tennis. This would also have likely put the Giants at home at 1PM on Fox against the CBS NFL opener whomping them in NY. There's no way either team could play at home Sunday night and get NBC out and ESPN in for MNF football fast enough, along with getting the stadium ready. Plus that would have meant the Giants would be up against regional coverage with Fox and CBS limiting the viewership of a new stadium the NFL is trying to promote.

Now I'm guessing the Giants will be on at 4:15 to most of the nation against Philly, Dallas or the Da Bears. CBS can air an AFC game in NY at 1PM that gets them some ratings. Probably Pats. They also probably aren't crushed by the fact that the Jets go Prime time on a day when there is football, tennis and pennant races flooding the airwaves. The Mets will be on at 1PM against Philly and the Yanks at 3PM against Texas.

Jets go Monday at 7PM to the whole nation. My guess...The Fins. They are always great games.