Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Stadium Opener/Sham Coin Toss thread (merged)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets failed to get their own stadium, and then crawled back to partner with the Giants. Why shouldn't the Giants open it? And who really cares anyway. They're stilling playing 8 home games in it...the dates mean nothing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey- look at that...the Giants were actually able to win something!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SINYJets;3526743]How many times did they have to flip the coin?[/QUOTE]

Source says.

Jets were heads.

1st toss - heads.

NFL rep decides best out of 3 is needed.

2nd toss - heads.

NFL rep decides best out of 5 is needed.

3rd toss - heads.

NFL rep decides Giants were heads.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lorwood;3526742]It makes sense to me that the Giants would open up the new Giants Stadium[/QUOTE]

It does....if there was such a place :rolleyes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure it was fixed that way

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheFranchise;3526749]Hey- look at that...the Giants were actually able to win something![/QUOTE]

:D

That was good.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly don't care. The world will plainly see who is the better team over the next 5-10 years and like sheep everyone will jump on the bandwagon. Whatever

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3526751]Source says.

Jets were heads.

1st toss - heads.

NFL rep decides best out of 3 is needed.

2nd toss - heads.

NFL rep decides best out of 5 is needed.

3rd toss - heads.

NFL rep decides Giants were heads.[/QUOTE]

LMAO if only it wasn't true

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How true is this story because this article came out yesterday and nothing had been even set to happen then. I find the bold statement interesting however and if this coin toss has already happened then this really is the NFL screwing the Jets and this is a conspiracy.

[quote]The Jets want to use a coin to determine which New York football team gets to play in the new Meadowlands stadium first.

Maybe boxing gloves would be a better choice.

The Giants and Jets might need them to settle their latest dispute, because the equal partners in the new $1.7 billion stadium are at odds over who will play host to first regular-season game there in September. The NFL is aware that both teams want the game badly, according to a league source, and have been unable to settle the dispute on their own.

On Saturday night, the Jets announced on their Web site that the NFL had approved their plan to settle the issue with a coin flip.

But there was one problem: The NFL refused to confirm that plan.

In fact, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Daily News yesterday that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is the one who "determines the schedule," and the spokesman added, "other than that, we have no announcements on the schedule now." Asked if that meant the announcement of a coin flip that was posted on the Jets' Web site was false, Aiello reiterated his statement.

Jets spokesman Bruce Speight said yesterday that the team stands by the story. He insisted that the NFL has officially informed the Jets that there will be a coin toss to determine who plays host for the opener and he added, "We look forward to the coin toss."

[B]A Giants spokesman said the team had no comment on either the Jets' announcement or whether the coin-flip story is accurate. However, according to one team source, the Giants weren't pleased with the Jets' surprise announcement. The source said that the Jets have been aggressively pushing the coin-flip idea because they're worried that the NFL had already decided to give the opening game to the Giants.[/B]

The schedule is slated to be released in early April.

The Jets, to the dismay of many in the Giants organization, were given the honor of hosting the final game at the old Giants Stadium - a 37-0 regular-season-ending win over the Cincinnati Bengals. Some speculated that when the Jets were given that game, the Giants were promised the first game in the new building in 2010.

The Giants and Jets are not scheduled to play each other during the 2010 regular season, so they can't share the spotlight in the stadium's first game. They are expected to play each other in their annual preseason game in August, which usually takes place during the third weekend of preseason games. It's possible that the game, which would be a Jets home contest this year, could be moved to the opening preseason weekend. The Jets, however, have their sights set on the bigger prize of the regular-season opener at the still-to-be-named stadium. According to the story on their Web site, "The Jets are willing to let the verdict be determined the same way that the league's teams have settled some scores for decades."

That story was clear that "the NFL has said" the flip will take place, although details of the plan were still being worked out. The Jets' story added it was possible that the flip would take place "in the week ahead" inside the stadium in front of members of the media and possibly fans.[/quote]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Coin Toss is a Lie.

There is no Jets Stadium, only the New Giants Stadium.

Changing lights and neutral seat colors will never change that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3526769]The Coin Toss is a Lie.

There is no Jets Stadium, only the New Giants Stadium.

Changing lights and neutral seat colors will never change that.[/QUOTE]

Then our team is in a lot of trouble. :steamin:

$875 million ought to buy you some home field advantage. I do agree that the best possible situation would be for the Jets to have their own stadium-by themselves! But at least they can pull up to the stadium and not see 'giants stadium' on the front. They won't have to see the red and blue seats either. its something......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    predictable

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;3526780]Then our team is in a lot of trouble. :steamin:

$875 million ought to buy you some home field advantage. I do agree that the best possible situation would be for the Jets to have their own stadium-by themselves! But at least they can pull up to the stadium and not see 'giants stadium' on the front. They won't have to see the red and blue seats either. its something......[/QUOTE]

2 stadiums are not needed in the area. One is more cost effective. Jet fans just need to stop sniveling and feeling like the red-headed step child of the league. The new stadium is just as much Jets as it is Giants. The crying is embarrassing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    NFL should just schedule both NY teams home games the 1st week. One plays Sunday the other Monday night.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody is a naive tool. Nobody should be shocked by this.

With the meetings coming this weekend...the opening games will be announced, and my bet is the Giants get a late game Sunday.

It's not as simple as the Giants over the Jets. This also has to do with the challenge of opening being a FOX doubleheader weekend thanks to CBS tennis, and Monday Night having an early start due to the doubleheader on ESPN.

My guess is the NFL will not want the first regular season game at this stadium to be in Prime Time. I'm thinking they want to have the first game be a day game to make sure everything runs smooth. No multitude of drunks on Sunday Night or alcohol ban. No rush hour craziness with a 7PM start on Monday.

The perfect time for the first game at the new stadium is Sunday at 4:15. The only way that could happen for the Jets is to play an NFC team at home on Fox. Don't think CBS would like that too much. They want a Jets lead in to tennis here in NY.

Best guess. Jets open in Cleveland with Mangini hype.

Giants home against Dallas or Philly at 4:15

Jet first home game the second week will be Prime Time on Sunday or Monday and that gives them first night time National Exposure.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3526795]NFL should just schedule both NY teams home games the 1st week. One plays Sunday the other Monday night.[/QUOTE]

Pretty good idea

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;3526792]2 stadiums are not needed in the area. One is more cost effective. Jet fans just need to stop sniveling and feeling like the red-headed step child of the league. The new stadium is just as much Jets as it is Giants. The crying is embarrassing.[/QUOTE]

Woody is "outraged".

It's not just the fans Orange.

This is an equal partnership. It should be treated as such with all particular nuances. Including the coin toss that took place without a Jet offical present.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend who works for NBC sports and does the Sunday night games for the NFL. He told me that no matter who has the game they are doing the Sunday night game at the new stadium for week 1 and the "rumor" around NBC is that the other team will have the Monday night game the same week (creating a nightmare for NBC & ESPN getting set up and striking down).

Assuming this rumor turns out to be true, don't we already know who our MNF opponent is? Was it the Pats?

Does this make anyone feel better if we have the first MNF game at the stadium?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This stadium is practically built on top of the old Giants Stadium. The Giants are opening the stadium based on rumor. Yeah, fans have no right to feel slighted about this. Considering the fact that we've opened on the road a ****-ton of times recently. Are they gonna have a coin flip to decide home openers every season that no body from the Jets gets to see actually happen?

Sorry, but count me in as one of the many disappointed Jets fans who wanted the Jets to play in their own stadium. It's only been 20 years or so why change now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3526799]Woody is "outraged".

It's not just the fans Orange.

This is an equal partnership. It should be treated as such with all particular nuances. Including the coin toss that took place without a Jet offical present.[/QUOTE]

I can understand Woody's outrage over not having a Rep...I would be too. I'm merely commenting on the stadium situation itself...it is not Giants stadium. Anyone who is a younger sibling took a beating from their older brother and his friends...eventually though, the younger kid grows up and moves on. Jet fans just won't grow up, though.