Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: Official Stadium Opener/Sham Coin Toss thread (merged)

Did I miss something or is the Giants practice facility in the Meadowlands still? If so I'm actually going to be a little bit pissed at this. Woody should have pulled the plug right then and there and screw the NFL for siding with the Gints on that... if that's what's actually happening.

All Pro
    Who gives a F*ck?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southside;3532108]Did I miss something or is the Giants practice facility in the Meadowlands still? If so I'm actually going to be a little bit pissed at this. Woody should have pulled the plug right then and there and screw the NFL for siding with the Gints on that... if that's what's actually happening.[/QUOTE]

+1 with a big fat NYG logo as well. **** the Giants and their front-runner loser fans. Lemme guess, yankees fans as well :rolleyes: ahh new york, new york..

All League
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;3532061]:deadhorse:[/QUOTE]

+1 LOL!

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3531733]This thread is pure gold. I'll say it again, you can't BUY this kind of entertainment. 800 posts arguing about a coin flip and a night opener. Priceless.[/QUOTE]

For the 1st time, I actually agree with you. :yes:

All Pro
    [B]Originally Posted by Vinny Patrollie
    This thread is pure gold. I'll say it again, you can't BUY this kind of entertainment. 800 posts arguing about a coin flip and a night opener. Priceless.[/B]

I guess you never visited the old politics forum.:D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3531892]who exactly are you chastising here exactly? and for someone so bored with the conversation, you seem to only add fuel to the fire.

it seems those "upset" with ancient, ancient history (like myself) are the only ones not crying about the silly coin flip. no windmill fighting here. just pointing out what should have been expected given historical trackrecord. people getting emotional are the ones who don't like the message, so they flame the messenger.

but seriously, if you're above an argument, be above the argument. the holier than thou shctick is boring too.[/QUOTE]

Well, stadium conversations start off interesting and on point until they degenerate into the same old arguments that have long been settled from the same old group of people (that's what SOJ means to me - those nattering nabobs of negativity) Unfortunately it will continue to be so unless some fortuitous combination of miraculous events exists - namely, an NM exit clause and a political / social / economic climate where the Jets can implement their visionary WSS complex with only token opposition from the usual unholy but tiny alliance of sociopaths and football-haters instead of the axis of evil that blocked the Jets this go-round. Even then we all had something to whine about from the roof, parking, loss of tailgating and other issues. (Waah, the stadium is not in the Jets "real" home of Queens/LI/NJ etc)

Being above a particularly argument doesn't mean I have to let other egregiously erroneous statements/arguments stand unopposed like they are facts set in stone. Some SOJ-ites are very content to repeat disproven "facts" ad nauseaum. Personally, I hate the revisionist history of Shea as Jets nirvana when it was obsolete and substandard from day 1, the novelty of football shoehorned into a baseball stadium wore off as time quickly took its toll and outside the single greatest football season ever, one lousy Jets season starting with weeks on the road and playing through the Mets sloppy, ripped up diamond usually blurred into another. Other than the drive home which I have long ago successfully optimized and now can happily forego w/ a train ride, GS IMO has been a football paradise, comparatively speaking. And I could walk a mile or so to Shea if I desired to back then.

We collectively spend far too much time arguing about the past and superficial issues like where a training facility is located when the present and near term future on the field, where it counts most, is as bright as it's ever been. In that context the coin flip, or lack thereof, for which team plays a in-season game 1st is trivial, especially when the Jets play a home MNF game the next day in week 1 - a "bragging right" that ultimately is as inconsequential as the Jets closing out GS being an honor-somehow that was a grave insult to the memory of Wellington Mara as some Giants fans and/or commentators contended. Its all context-MNF games "suck" and are unwatchable unless the Jets play in one with a contending team, then they are hot tickets. I for one will be excited...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3532039]I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was talking about disputes with the Giants.[/QUOTE]

Well, regarding NM in particular.... didn't the Giants want certain things
    (brick exterior, etc) a certain way according to their original plan/design and then had to accomodate the Jets on a few things (steel/aluminum exterior, neutral seat colors etc) per the NFL....If I recall correctly, and I may be incorrect here, the sharing and/or the loan from the NFL may have been conditional on the Giants accepting some of those details the Jets insisted upon.

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3531928]But he'll be his same charming, sunny self tomorrow, too!?:eek:[/QUOTE]

GKY!

[QUOTE=FF2;3532291]GKY![/QUOTE]

Ahhhh...reminds me of the gool ole' days.....like this afternoon, for instance.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This runaway train was set in motion last spring when the NFL gave the Jets the honor of closing Giants Stadium. The Giants were miffed. To quell the Giants' discontent, the NFL gave them off-the-record indications that this situation could be redressed in the form of a Giants home opener in 2010. This becomes the NFL's driving motivation as events unfold.

As the scheduling grew closer, the idea of an NFL ordained Giants home opener scenario increasingly gained traction. The rumor mill flames were further fanned by talk radio and the Jets took notice. Woody provided the fly in the NFL's Giants-soothing ointment when he hatched the coin toss scenario.

Not surprisingly, the NFL initially rejected this solution because it could cause them to backtrack vis-a-vis the Giants. But then two things happened. First, according to Woody, he is told on FRIDAY that a secret flip took place and he lost. Then, ton SATURDAY, the Jets website leaks Woody's coin flip solution, omits the fact that the team already supposedly lost, and even claims that a public spectacle may be made of the event.

In conducting a no-flip flip, Goodell gravely miscalculated whether Woody would dare call into question his integrity. But Woody not only did that, he also used the Jets website to gain support for a public coin toss AND garner sympathy for his outcry to come days later. Sneaky but shrewd.

On the one hand, it's commendable that Woody stood toe to toe with the Goodell, making it clear that he's no pushover. Not now, not in the future. On the other, Woody committed a double foul in the NFL's eyes by questioning its integrity and posting a manipulative press release. Woody ultimately did right by speaking up despite ruffling feathers in the process. Looks like Rex's attitude is not only rubbing off on his players, but perhaps his owner as well.

[QUOTE=Flowtrain;3532359]This runaway train was set in motion last spring when the NFL gave the Jets the honor of closing Giants Stadium. The Giants were miffed. To quell the Giants' discontent, the NFL gave them off-the-record indications that this situation could be redressed in the form of a Giants home opener in 2010. This becomes the NFL's driving motivation as events unfold.

As the scheduling grew closer, the idea of an NFL ordained Giants home opener scenario increasingly gained traction. The rumor mill flames were further fanned by talk radio and the Jets took notice. Woody provided the fly in the NFL's Giants-soothing ointment when he hatched the coin toss scenario.

Not surprisingly, the NFL initially rejected this solution because it could cause them to backtrack vis-a-vis the Giants. But then two things happened. First, according to Woody, he is told on FRIDAY that a secret flip took place and he lost. Then, ton SATURDAY, the Jets website leaks Woody's coin flip solution, omits the fact that the team already supposedly lost, and even claims that a public spectacle may be made of the event.

In conducting a no-flip flip, Goodell gravely miscalculated whether Woody would dare call into question his integrity. But Woody not only did that, he also used the Jets website to gain support for a public coin toss AND garner sympathy for his outcry to come days later. Sneaky but shrewd.

On the one hand, it's commendable that Woody stood toe to toe with the Goodell, making it clear that he's no pushover. Not now, not in the future. On the other, Woody committed a double foul in the NFL's eyes by questioning its integrity and posting a manipulative press release. Woody ultimately did right by speaking up despite ruffling feathers in the process. Looks like Rex's attitude is not only rubbing off on his players, but perhaps his owner as well.[/QUOTE]

Nice story, but you left out the part where the league's office gets pissed at Woody for making a stink and Woody immediately back-tracks in the press, stating he never meant to question the commissioner's integrity. Wuss.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/woody-johnson-backtracks-on-his-coin-flip-comments/[/url]

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3532414]Nice story, but you left out the part where the league's office gets pissed at Woody for making a stink and Woody immediately back-tracks in the press, stating he never meant to question the commissioner's integrity. Wuss.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/woody-johnson-backtracks-on-his-coin-flip-comments/[/url][/QUOTE]

WOW. Woody retreats with tail between legs. ***** SLAPPED! Goodel rules with the iron hand of a JI Mod! :eek:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3532414]Nice story, but you left out the part where the league's office gets pissed at Woody for making a stink and Woody immediately back-tracks in the press, stating he never meant to question the commissioner's integrity. Wuss.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/woody-johnson-backtracks-on-his-coin-flip-comments/[/url][/QUOTE]

Woody's postmortem apology was issued with the same exact sincerity as the NFL's sham coin toss precipitating these events. What you misinterpret as a "wuss" move was actually Woody administering the commissioner a taste of his own medicine.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Flowtrain;3532359]

On the one hand, it's commendable that Woody stood toe to toe with the Goodell, making it clear that he's no pushover. Not now, not in the future. On the other, Woody committed a double foul in the NFL's eyes by questioning its integrity and posting a manipulative press release. Woody ultimately did right by speaking up despite ruffling feathers in the process. Looks like Rex's attitude is not only rubbing off on his players, but perhaps his owner as well.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

I don't care about the toss-non-toss, and I am happy with the MNF opening night, but I think it's interesting that everyone was reporting that Goodell was going to take Woody privately aside and read him the riot act.

I hope when Goodell started to chastise him, Woody held up his hand and told him to go f*ck himself--"hey Roger--you're pissed at ME--well I'm pissed at YOU".

Flow- where's the avatar?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;3532258]
    (brick exterior, etc steel/aluminum exterior, neutral seat colors[/QUOTE]

Woody don't take no *hit off nobody:yes:

[IMG]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtIGwNEpZdE[/IMG]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=2009fatman;3532676]Woody don't take no *hit off nobody:yes:
    [/QUOTE]

I'm sure you wouldn't object to red and blue seats :rolleyes:

[COLOR=black][I][COLOR=red]...Avere il menstruo[/COLOR],[/I] the red seats came in handy for SOJers[/COLOR]

More flip fun :)
    Article says coin flip happened a while back, and Woody used Jet website to try and get a new flip lol

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/03/20/2010-03-20_jet_site_is_scene_of_the_slime.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=chazman;3532971]More flip fun :)
    Article says coin flip happened a while back, and Woody used Jet website to try and get a new flip lol

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/03/20/2010-03-20_jet_site_is_scene_of_the_slime.html[/url][/QUOTE]

There is absolutely zero new information in that article.

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;3532977]There is absolutely zero new information in that article.[/QUOTE]

I've been out of the flip loop ;)