Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Need to Address the Defensive Line

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

We Need to Address the Defensive Line

[url]http://www.pressboxonline.com/blog.cfm?ID=2096[/url]

I read this article this morning and I'm not a huge fan of Odrick but I would really like Corey Wootton as an alternative in the second round. We definitely need a young defensive end. Also, I don't know a lot about Emmanuel Sanders but like what I read and think he could be a good slot receiver.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should we address them as sir?

:i_dont_kn

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3526775]Should we address them as sir?

:i_dont_kn[/QUOTE]
    Unless it is Vernon Gholston in which case the proper term of address would be "miss"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think all this DL talk is over blown. there are other worse needs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would like to see the Jets draft a DL but not in the 1st round.

Much rather see them go after a pass rushing OLB or FS in round 1 then address the need for DL and OL depth later in the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets still need to upgrade the secondary to shut down, Brady, Manning, Flacco & Rivers.
    Can't have enough good nickel & Dime guys that know their role on the team.

McCourty will be a Jet.
    Personally, I'm hoping Jay Feely gets signed & the Jets can sign Sharper to a two year contract.
    A guy like Sharper with Revis & Cro shutting down the corners would be really fun to watch. Rhodes had no anticipation, Sharper is all anticipation.

Friend of mine, an avid Pats fan said, "I hope you don't end up getting Sharper and adding him to that cast of characters you already have on defense".
    Our defense would be SICK!
    Tanny could go all out looking for pass rushers in the this draft!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3526850]Personally I would like to see the Jets draft a DL but not in the 1st round.

Much rather see them go after a pass rushing OLB or FS in round 1 then address the need for DL and OL depth later in the draft.[/QUOTE]

There is no way the jets draft a Safety early. They replaced Rhodes already with Pool. imo!!!! I can see the jets taking a CB bf a S. Nickleback is a MUST right now. I would like a DL pick though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    A wise man once said:

"Ellis not here after 2010, Marques Douglas is gone. Need interior pass rush."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3526850]Personally I would like to see the Jets draft a DL but not in the 1st round.

Much rather see them go after a pass rushing OLB or FS in round 1 then address the need for DL and OL depth later in the draft.[/QUOTE]

I still think DE in the first is the way to go based on the ages of the current starters. I would not kill myself with an OLB though. Point: the Jets were #18 in sacks last year - average. In the playoffs, they were #1. It was a new group last year - 4 new starters. It may have taken awhile to put it all together.
    Forget S until later. Same with CB. Pick up a slot later (rd 4?)
    As far as OL - hate to say it, but the Jets have a terrible track record of drafting lower round OL. They NEVER pan out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jmoss10686;3526770][url]http://www.pressboxonline.com/blog.cfm?ID=2096[/url]

I read this article this morning and I'm not a huge fan of Odrick but I would really like Corey Wootton as an alternative in the second round. We definitely need a young defensive end. Also, I don't know a lot about Emmanuel Sanders but like what I read and think he could be a good slot receiver.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, forgot to comment on Sanders.
    The guys numbers are ok, but looks like he's an UDFA maybe. Very low on boards. Like in the 40s for a rank.
    Look more at Andre Roberts, Jacoby Ford, Jordan Shipley.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I want Devito to become that starter in Douglas's place.....

Either welcome Douglas back as a backup, or maybe Rex really likes someone like Pitoitua as a backup, or a mid round draft pick. But I don't really foresee spending a high pick there this year. There are just bigger needs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jenkins will be back, so we have more options him with Pouha...

Also Ellis is still around and coming off an excellent year and Pito/Devito stepped up big time and are young, talented and ready for more reps.

The Jets have done a nice job developing late/undraftted guys at DE and probably will be able to find similiar gems this year...

so with that said, I really still think CB is the way they will go... McCourty will be the pick imo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think you draft the corners higher than the safeties because the corner can always be turned into a safety but the other way doesn't work so well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still hoping for Cody...We need someone to build our post-Jenkins DL around, and a massive mofo like that would probably work.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3527328]Still hoping for Cody...We need someone to build our post-Jenkins DL around, and a massive mofo like that would probably work.[/QUOTE]

True, but Pouha was more than decent filling in for Jenkins last year, although he's over 30 too

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Much rather see them go after a [B]pass rushing OLB or FS in round 1[/B] then address the need for DL and OL depth later in the draft.[/QUOTE]

Yep, would love it if we picked up Kindle (not sure if he lasts till 29 though)or Hughes/Graham/Ricky Sapp and kick VGhol to DE. We need a demon rusher to kill qb's consistently

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jmoss10686;3529333]True, but Pouha was more than decent filling in for Jenkins last year, although he's over 30 too[/QUOTE]

Pouha's a solid backup NT with a long injury history.

Also, I think our pass rush is on the roster in the form of Pace and the young guys Gholston and Westerman. Pass rush isn't an individual in these Ds, and that's why they work.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Safety is more of a need then DE in the first round. We dont have that ball hawk that Ryan wants. I would personally love to have Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays. We could use a slot WR and to fill that hole i would pick Jordan Shipley in the 4th if hes there still. I'm a real believer in Devito and Pit. I feel that Devito will become the starter opposite of Ellis with pit mext inm line to take over for ellis when he leaves. I also think Westerman will be our key pass rusher when this Gholston experiment officially ends.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The team needs to generate a better pass rush out of the base defense. The only pressure we get on the QB now is from the blitz. With Jenks back that will improve, but we need to improve pressure from the DE spot as well as from the OLB position. I could see Rex taking the best edge-rushing 3-4 DE available in the 1st (Griffen if he falls, or possibly Dunlap) or the best OLB (Kindle or maybe Hughes). Then in the 2nd look at whichever position they didn't draft in the 1st. They could still find their slot WR in the 4th, and a dime CB in the 5th. Having cut both Lito and Strick, they will need to find a CB somewhere.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ThePenguin;3529375]I think Safety is more of a need then DE in the first round. We dont have that ball hawk that Ryan wants. I would personally love to have Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays.[/QUOTE]

I actually like the Brodney Pool pickup and I'm not a fan of Taylor Mays at all. I think he's bound for outside linebacker in the NFL. He's horrible in coverage.