Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: we need a slot WR, so... Jordan Shipley??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Shipley.....in Round 3.

I consider him a reach at 61, but I'm not convinced he'll be around in Round 4 either. I could see a scenario where we package the 4/5 and move up as far as we can to get him, depending on what happens in the first 2 rounds.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;3528573]i agree. even a guy like santana moss was more than merely a slot wr.[/QUOTE]

We took Santana Moss in the 1st round (16th overall), so he was expected to be more than a slot receiver.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3528636]I like Shipley.....in Round 3.

I consider him a reach at 61, but I'm not convinced he'll be around in Round 4 either. I could see a scenario where we package the 4/5 and move up as far as we can to get him, depending on what happens in the first 2 rounds.[/QUOTE]

^Interesting thought, I'm cool with that scenario too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3528088]I like shipley but he probably ends up a 4th round pick like Collie.[/QUOTE]

Although not specifically for Shipley, I think that's why Tanny was willing to get a 4th for Rhodes. If they're looking for a slot WR, there should be good talent available in the 4th.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3528769]Although not specifically for Shipley, I think that's why Tanny was willing to get a 4th for Rhodes. If they're looking for a slot WR, there should be good talent available in the 4th.[/QUOTE]

i'm thinking that's where they'd take a wr this draft. unless something strange happens, i still think rounds 1 and 2 are devoted to defense, with 1 pick going to either s or cb, and the other devoted to the pass rush. i believe this to be the most likely scenario.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Shipley, but some people here who saw him live said he looked slow and ran terrible routes at the combine...

Still, he produced big time in college and I don't care what system he played in, the guy has a knack for getting open and has among the best hands in this draft.

Maybe not a 2nd rounder, but a great fit for the Jets imo...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Monsterxman;3528823]I like Shipley, but some people here who [B]saw him live said he looked slow and ran terrible routes at the combine...[/B]

Still, he produced big time in college and I don't care what system he played in, the guy has a knack for getting open and has among the best hands in this draft.

Maybe not a 2nd rounder, but a great fit for the Jets imo...[/QUOTE]

he did....

want a good slot receiver?? Emmanuel Sanders/SMU....should be able to double as a PR...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He would be a good pick up for the Jets in the later rounds (3 onwards)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3529297]he did....

want a good slot receiver?? Emmanuel Sanders/SMU....should be able to double as a PR...[/QUOTE]

How were his routes? The knock on him in scouting reports is sloppy route running, which is not acceptable in the slot. His speed, quickness, and hands all look good. Great 3-cone.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vinluvr;3529558]How were his routes? The knock on him in scouting reports is sloppy route running, which is not acceptable in the slot. His speed, quickness, and hands all look good. Great 3-cone.[/QUOTE]

they were terrific in drills at the combine and explosive on film....where's the scouting report from???

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3529621]they were terrific in drills at the combine and explosive on film....where's the scouting report from???[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68105&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR"]NFL Draft Scout[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vinluvr;3529664][URL="http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68105&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR"]NFL Draft Scout[/URL][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Sanders' routes weren't always crisp, as he squared off a comeback route which allowed UCLA cornerback Alterraun Verner to jump the play and make the interception.[/QUOTE]

i was at E/W practices...the field was a fuqin cow pasture....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3529297]he did....

want a good slot receiver?? Emmanuel Sanders/SMU....should be able to double as a PR...[/QUOTE]

What do you think of NFP scouting reports?

Emmanuel Sanders WR, Southern Methodist [URL="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/front_office_player_stats.html&player=551"][/URL]NFP Grade: [B]5.9[/B]
    [B]Scouting Report:[/B][FONT=&quot]
    Emmanuel Sanders: No. 17, WR, 5-11, 182

A thin, undersized wideout who works almost exclusively from the slot, Sanders displays a good initial burst off the line and gets on top of opposing defenders quickly. He possesses impressive body control over the middle of the field and adjusts well to the ball. He reaches top-end speed quickly and has the ability to consistently get downfield, stretch defenses vertically and track the ball. He's a flexible athlete who drops his hips well out of his breaks and can run away from man coverage. Sanders showcases good balance and short-area quickness as a route runner underneath, is sudden and sells his routes well when not at full speed. But he isn't a clean route runner downfield and has a tendency to get sloppy with his footwork when changing directions. He consistently rounds off his routes once he reaches full speed and doesn't display much sharpness in and out of his breaks. He simply looks to outpace defenders.

He lacks physicality off the line and can be rerouted easily and/or knocked off routes downfield. Sanders possesses a good feel for the pass game underneath and does a nice job working back toward the ball and finding soft spots in the defense. He showcases good quickness and wiggle in the open field and has the ability to create yards after the catch. But he isn't a natural plucker and lets the ball get into his body. Overall, he's a thin but explosive slot guy who has the ability to make a roster and contribute on a team as a sub-package receiver.

Grade: 5.9 [/FONT]

[B]Backup/Depth Caliber[/B]
    [B]5.9 [/B]Has a deficient area of his playing or physical skills that he should overcome and contribute as a backup and spot player only.

[url]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/front-office-total-access-stats.html&position=wr&startrow=20[/url]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3529679]i was at E/W practices...the field was a fuqin cow pasture....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that bit of background. What round do you see Sanders going in?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3529679]i was at E/W practices...the field was a fuqin cow pasture....[/QUOTE]

Any thoughts on Blair White?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vinluvr;3529693]Thanks for that bit of background. What round do you see Sanders going in?[/QUOTE]

I would take him in the 3rd....he's likely more of a 4th/5th....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    solid but...

[QUOTE=C Mart;3529686]What do you think of NFP scouting reports?

Emmanuel Sanders WR, Southern Methodist [URL="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/front_office_player_stats.html&player=551"][/URL]NFP Grade: [B]5.9[/B]

A thin, undersized wideout who works almost exclusively from the slot, Sanders displays a good initial burst off the line and gets on top of opposing defenders quickly. He possesses impressive body control over the middle of [B]the field and adjusts well to the ball. He reaches top-end speed quickly and has the ability to consistently get downfield, stretch defenses vertically and track the ball. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sanders is fast yet not a true downfield threat....

[QUOTE]]He's a flexible athlete who drops his hips well out of his breaks and can run away from man coverage. Sanders showcases good balance and short-area quickness as a route runner underneath, is sudden and sells his routes well when not at full speed. [B]But he isn't a clean route runner downfield and has a tendency to get sloppy with his footwork when changing directions.[/B] H[B]e consistently rounds off his routes once he reaches full speed and doesn't display much sharpness in and out of his breaks. He simply looks to outpace defenders. [/B][/QUOTE]

what does downfield mean??? you want a guy to run crisp routes under 15-20 yards to seperate from defenders- not over concerned about a guy floating out of breaks 30+yds downfield...

[QUOTE]He lacks physicality off the line and can be rerouted easily and/or knocked off routes downfield. [/QUOTE]

hence why you got to line him up in the slot....

[QUOTE]Sanders possesses a good feel for the pass game underneath and does a nice job working back toward the ball and finding soft spots in the defense. He showcases good quickness and wiggle in the open field and has the ability to create yards after the catch. But he isn't a natural plucker and lets the ball get into his body. Overall, he's a thin but explosive slot guy who has the ability to make a roster and contribute on a team as a sub-package receiver.

[B]5.9 [/B]Has a deficient area of his playing or physical skills that he should overcome and contribute as a backup and spot player only.

[url]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/front-office-total-access-stats.html&position=wr&startrow=20[/url][/QUOTE]

if the 5.9 is based on the national scale that's a 3rd round grade....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3529686]What do you think of NFP scouting reports?

A thin, undersized wideout who works almost exclusively from the slot, Sanders displays a good initial burst off the line and gets on top of opposing defenders quickly. He possesses impressive body control over the middle of the field and adjusts well to the ball. He reaches top-end speed quickly and has the ability to consistently get downfield, stretch defenses vertically and track the ball. He's a flexible athlete who drops his hips well out of his breaks and can run away from man coverage. Sanders showcases good balance and short-area quickness as a route runner underneath, is sudden and sells his routes well when not at full speed. But he isn't a clean route runner downfield and has a tendency to get sloppy with his footwork when changing directions. He consistently rounds off his routes once he reaches full speed and doesn't display much sharpness in and out of his breaks. He simply looks to outpace defenders.

He lacks physicality off the line and can be rerouted easily and/or knocked off routes downfield. Sanders possesses a good feel for the pass game underneath and does a nice job working back toward the ball and finding soft spots in the defense. He showcases good quickness and wiggle in the open field and has the ability to create yards after the catch. But he isn't a natural plucker and lets the ball get into his body. Overall, he's a thin but explosive slot guy who has the ability to make a roster and contribute on a team as a sub-package receiver.

[url]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/front-office-total-access-stats.html&position=wr&startrow=20[/url][/QUOTE]

This sort of sums it up. PS material. Plus he doesn't sound tough enough for ST. On a couple boards I've seen him rated in the mid 40s of all WRs in the draft. Rd 7 to UDFA.
    You can get a top 15 guy in round 3-4. You get what you pay for as a general rule. If you look for a diamond in the rough in round 6-7 what you usually (exceptions are there) get is the rough.