Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: idle thoughts - be careful what you wish for....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3528852]Just find a way NOT to face Baltimore in the playoffs again, and you may not need any signings.

I think there may be a requirement to have at least 1 TE on your roster though.[/QUOTE]

I hope they DO face Baltimore again actually. TE hasn't been a skill position for the Pats since Ben Coates so I have no worries there. Clean out some of the rubbish in the lockerroom, pick up a viable 3rd WR, hit on just one or two out of their 100 draft picks, and just having Brady back another year removed from serious injury should suffice.

Jets, on the other hand, have to to hope they catch lightening in a bottle two years in a row and hope that the last two games of the season are lay-downs yet again.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3528838]The Pats had 12 UFAs going into free agency and they signed their top 5. Not exactly standing still. The Pat's FO are rarely ones to make a splash early in FA anyway.[/QUOTE]

Well they certainly tried, they just failed epically. Offered Boldin a 1 year contract and thought he'd decide that that would be OK, cuz he'd be playing for the Pats lol. Missed on Peppers too.

And in the past the Pats didn't need to bring in many quality free agents because they were usually coming off seasons where they at least contended for the SB. That's over now. They'll need a ton of help to even make the playoffs in 2010, especially with Welker out.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3528875]Well they certainly tried, they just failed epically. Offered Boldin a 1 year contract and thought he'd decide that that would be OK, cuz he'd be playing for the Pats lol. Missed on Peppers too.

And in the past the Pats didn't need to bring in many quality free agents because they were usually coming off seasons where they at least contended for the SB. That's over now. They'll need a ton of help to even make the playoffs in 2010, especially with Welker out.[/QUOTE]

Missing on Peppers was the best news this preseason if you ask me.

Buzz, I don't disagree with your point about past years, and having holes to fill, but they know that they have to deal with Brady this season so they can't spend money like water, cap or no cap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3528865]I hope they DO face Baltimore again actually. TE hasn't been a skill position for the Pats since Ben Coates so I have no worries there. Clean out some of the rubbish in the lockerroom, pick up a viable 3rd WR, hit on just one or two out of their 100 draft picks, and just having Brady back another year removed from serious injury should suffice.

Jets, on the other hand, have to to hope they catch lightening in a bottle two years in a row and hope that the last two games of the season are lay-downs yet again.[/QUOTE]

Well, im sure Baltimore is hoping to see the Pats again also. Ray Rice has that Playoff rushing record on his mind.

No worries @ your TE's?.....well, if you say so, but dont you actually have to have 1?

Pick up a viable 3rd reciever?.....Well how about getting a 2nd viable option first? Maybe Moss is effective against some teams, but we sure as hell know hes not effective on Revis island. He's been sending up rescue flares all offseason and is still abandoned there.:eek:

Holes.....the Patriots have them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post -
    Some moves might work - some might not.
    I have faith in Tanny - With him in the drivers seat - more will work than not.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3528865]I hope they DO face Baltimore again actually. TE hasn't been a skill position for the Pats since Ben Coates so I have no worries there. Clean out some of the rubbish in the lockerroom, pick up a viable 3rd WR, [B]hit on just one or two out of their 100 draft picks,[/B] and just having Brady back another year removed from serious injury should suffice.

Jets, on the other hand, have to to hope they catch lightening in a bottle two years in a row and hope that the last two games of the season are lay-downs yet again.[/QUOTE]

That's good b/c that's about the percentage they've been hitting on over the past several years. :D

And the Brady that is back for another year will be w/o Welker (or at least the same Welker) and with a Randy Moss is who is looking more and more ordinary. I've held the Pats in the highest esteem as anyone over the past 10 years, but this upcoming team is truly the least scary one that I can remember. Not saying the Jets will run away (or even win for that matter) with anything, but the Pats simply are not what they once were. It seems like they've downgraded in most areas over the past few years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah Ken, GFY ........................

Ah, just kidding ....................

.........can't resist, sorry........

.....Fred Taylor, Joey Galloway, and Chris Baker? :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3528865]I hope they DO face Baltimore again actually. TE hasn't been a skill position for the Pats since Ben Coates so I have no worries there. Clean out some of the rubbish in the lockerroom, pick up a viable 3rd WR, hit on just one or two out of their 100 draft picks, and just having Brady back another year removed from serious injury should suffice.

[B]Jets, on the other hand, have to to hope they catch lightening in a bottle two years in a row and hope that the last two games of the season are lay-downs yet again.[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I don't think they'll be a 'tuck rule' or a 'Brady beggin' for a flag' away from advancing out of the first round :rolleyes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course the moves may or may not work, but Mike T. and Rex have proven to be good judges of talent and they clearly have a plan on how to build their team. I'm repeating what has been said many times on this board over the past couple of years, but what's best about all this is that the Jets have ownership and management that both has a plan and is not afraid to be aggressive in trying to achieve that plan. The Pats had more than their share of dry years, so Pats fans know how frustrating it is to watch your team sit back while all the available talent goes elsewhere, with your team not even trying. This is much better. Seems to be working, too.
    Last edited by bullitt929; 03-16-2010 at 05:57 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cro's play making will go to the next level if Rex can convince him to stop :hump: everything that moves. Sad to say as a Pats fan but he will be a major factor...his picks will go through the roof with Revis as the other CB. Teams will probably employ a dink/dunk gameplan in response which will only shorten the field.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3528801]How were the Jets going to sign Bodden genius?[/QUOTE]

He was free to sign for the first full week of FA....and thanks for the compliment.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ....ooops you are right. He was free to sign with 26 teams....but not the JETS.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Actually Leigh Boddin would have been a much better choice....IF the Jet were really aggressive. In that move they would have weakened their main rival and REALLY improved their secondary,[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3529065]He was free to sign for the first full week of FA....and thanks for the compliment.[/QUOTE]

No he wasn't, you're completely wrong and there is zero possibility the Jets could have signed him. The Final 8 rules apply to the Jets and Bodden was an UFA which meant the Jets would have had to have one of their own UFA's sign a big deal with another team if they were to have any shot at all at signing him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3529075]....ooops you are right. He was free to sign with 26 teams....but not the JETS.[/QUOTE]

lame rule! how many stud FA did the pats sign during their run? Colvin? Thomas? None really, Harrison was "washed up" when he went to the pats, they traded for (Moss, Welker, Washington, Traylor) or drafted their cogs (Brady, Wilfork, Seymour)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3528875]Well they certainly tried, they just failed epically. Offered Boldin a 1 year contract and thought he'd decide that that would be OK, cuz he'd be playing for the Pats lol. Missed on Peppers too.

And in the past the Pats didn't need to bring in many quality free agents because they were usually coming off seasons where they at least contended for the SB. That's over now. They'll need a ton of help to even make the playoffs in 2010, especially with Welker out.[/QUOTE]

"Failed epically", that's a bit overly dramatic, Buzz. I'm not sure what they offered Peppers, but if they paid what Chicago did, it would have been a Pyhrric victory IMHO. I would have loved Peppers the athlete, but his contract would have destroyed the Pats salary structure.

Boldin was another story. I thought his price was reasonable, but I heard the Pats only made a cursory run at him. I'm guessing that they didn't want ANOTHER 30+ year old WR and will try to get younger there.

At this point, I'm inferring that that their lack of a move in FA for a WR comes from their confidence in Brandon Tate's rehab. Don't forget that Tate was a considered a first round talent who was a better pro prospect than Hakeem Nicks....before he got hurt. However I DO think that they will go for a WR with one of their first 4 picks....maybe even one in the first round. They DO need to get deeper at WR.

BTW- It was pretty much agreed that this year's UFA crop was pretty thin. NEXT year (if there is a next year :mad:), there will be a huge crop of UFA's available, though a lot will depend on what kind of a salary cap there will be.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note - I am pleasantly surprised that it is possible to still have a civil football discussion on this board. I've enjoyed this one, and look forward to more in the future.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3528852]
    I think there may be a requirement to have at least 1 TE on your roster though.[/QUOTE]

In March? :confused:

(What, not a Robbie Agnone fan?)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    *** YAWN ***

what a waste of time this was.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3528707]I agree with part of this comment. LT's YPC has dropped precipitously over the last few years. His YPC in 2009 was only 3.3 and I saw a post that cited a foutballoutsiders who charted his carries against 8 in the box situations, and he was a LEAGUE LOW at 1.9 ypc. A full half yard lower than the next worst runner. (btw, if you want I'll try and find it)

But I do agree that older RBs CAN thrive in limited situations. Kevin Faulk is a perfect example, who in his mid 30's still averages over 5 ypc and is very effective in the passing game. But I think you already have a BETTER option for THAT role in LWashington (if healthy). In fact, IMHO he'd be Faulk's perfect replacement for the Pats in 2011[/QUOTE]

It's funny watching you try to come off objective and intelligent, your bias is pathetic.

Anwyay, you and others keep harping on LT's ypc, do you even know what Sproles' ypc was last year? Go look it up, it wasn't that much better, is it because Sproles is also losing a step?

Here is your answer why:

- Chargers offensive philosophy has changed dramatically in the two years since Marty ran the team with Schotty Jr and Cameron, LT flourished under Marty and his offensive staff, and they had the OL to execute that philosophy. That has unquestionably NOT been the case the alst two years.

- LT was as healthy as he'd ever been in training camp before the season LAST year, coming off of two years in a row where he had knee and foot injuries. In his first game, he sustained a high-ankle sprain, and as we all know, that kind of injury is devastating for a RB. It took him half the season to get over it. Add the fact the Chargers lost their Center and their LOT to season ending injuries, they were playing behind a swiss-cheese OL.

LT is not the LT of 2004, we get that, but we truly don't know where he is, if he's healthy. Considering his return to the coach and the system he flourished in, I'd say the prospects are pretty good he bounces back and surprises a lot of people, especially with the OL he will be playing behind, and the running schemes Callahan will put together for him. Add the upside of our passing attack with Sanchez developing, and the weapons he has at WR now and at TE, that will open things up even further for the running game.

Oh BTW, the Jets have a young stud in Shonn Greene, and the return of Leon Washington.

LT isn't going to be asked to carry the load, he is going to be a part of a very talented trio of RB's. LT is also younger than Jones, and MUCH more dynamic, it is really a no brainer why the Jets made this move.

I'm still SHOCKED there are many who oppose it, even after Jones fell off a cliff last year at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

Jones was a GREAT Jet, and he a GREAT 3 years, but he's 32 years old, and he's a one-dimensional back, I'm sure it was a tough decision by the Jets to let him go, but it made sense from a schematic standpoint, and from an economic standpoint, as well as from a physical ability perspective.

Pool was a former 2nd round pick, an extremely talented player coming out of Oklahoma. His issue has been his own health with head injuries. When healthy, he's a very good player, something most Cleveland fans will tell you. There are conflicting reports on how many head injuries he's sustained, if it was a big risk, I don't think the Jets bring this guy in, I believe they did their homework, and this guy will surprise. Even so, he will undoubtedly become part of a rotation at safety.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 03-16-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3529089]"Failed epically", that's a bit overly dramatic, Buzz. I'm not sure what they offered Peppers, but if they paid what Chicago did, it would have been a Pyhrric victory IMHO. I would have loved Peppers the athlete, but his contract would have destroyed the Pats salary structure.

Boldin was another story. I thought his price was reasonable, but I heard the Pats only made a cursory run at him. I'm guessing that they didn't want ANOTHER 30+ year old WR and will try to get younger there.

[b]At this point, I'm inferring that that their lack of a move in FA for a WR comes from their confidence in Brandon Tate's rehab. Don't forget that Tate was a considered a first round talent who was a better pro prospect than Hakeem Nicks....before he got hurt. However I DO think that they will go for a WR with one of their first 4 picks....maybe even one in the first round. They DO need to get deeper at WR.

BTW- It was pretty much agreed that this year's UFA crop was pretty thin. NEXT year (if there is a next year :mad:), there will be a huge crop of UFA's available, though a lot will depend on what kind of a salary cap there will be.[/b][/QUOTE]

LOL, it's so funny watching you spin!