Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: idle thoughts - be careful what you wish for....

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3528797]You aren't being realistic if you believe all of Cromartie's problems came about because he wasn't playing press coverage. First of all EVERY team plays a certain amount of press coverage. Do the Jets play more of it than other teams? I wouldn't be too sure. Its not just about zones vs man to man. Most team have many coverages that are hybrids of both, as well as rotation schemes. You cannot be a good DB in this league being a one dimensional CB....and if Rex JUST plays Cromartie in press coverage, then he'll be on the field only 30% of the plays, AND he will announce the coverage when he steps on the field. We both know that THAT isn't going to happen.[/QUOTE]

The Jets play man coverage a lot more than 30% of the time. And yes, they probably do play it much more than any other team in the league. It's what allows them to be so aggressive with blitzing DBs. You don't blitz DBs as much as the Jets do while playing zone, you'll get picked apart. In fact, the Jets tried playing more zone against the Chargers in the playoffs to compensate for the plethora of weapons that they have and the players begged Rex during halftime to scrap it and go back to the man coverage schemes they played all year.

Maybe Cromartie's problems aren't as black and white as zone vs man, but he has shown to be a much more effective player in man coverage schemes. And man coverage was the staple of our pass defense last year.
    Last edited by fullblast; 03-17-2010 at 09:38 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;3530356]2000+ views, almost 100 responses. Nice trolling Ken! I can only hope to some
    day ascend to that level! You and PFT are DaMen! :D

[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/FishChum-1.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

The pot. Ken stirs it.

You, not so much.

Banned
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3530283]First I realized I screwed up. The term I was going for was Bell Cow, not Bell weather. Bell cow meaning lead cow....or lead back. Bell weather meaning....I don't know what I was thinking ;)

First if you think about LT playing behind a bad OL, you then have to consider the fact that he couldn't put up yardage against some of the worst D's in the league, in the worst division.

Moroney's fumble issues aren't about the amount of time he fumbles (he actually fumbles quite rarely (only 4 times last season and 5 times in his entire career (545 attempts). UNFORTUNATELY, at least 2 of those fumbles occurred while he was going into the endzone. VERY BAD timing

As to Crash's last post - I would disagree strongly but with a caveat with his last opinion. Greene, LT and LW is NOT as good as group as Green TJ and LW. THrowing Danny Woodhead in there was not a realistic or fair option.

BTW- my main point about Greene is that Jet fans are just naturally ASSUMING that Greene can be counted on to be a 1400+yd runner, based on his fine efforts at the end of the year. And he might very well be one, EXCEPT for the fact he hasn't shown that he can hold up under the stress of 16 games.

I don't make this a concern blindly. Ask any Pats fans if they thought that Moroney WOULDN'T be a "Bell Cow" running back after watching him run HIS first year averaging 4.5ypc....and then the injuries starting to happen. And just when we all thought he turned the corner with a great playoff run in 2007, he's been injured for the better part of the last 3 years again.

That may NEVER happen to Green, but it DOES happen quite often to RBs in this league, even the best of them. So to give up on a guy who has just rushed 1400+ yds to pick up another guy for the same price who offers less, just makes no sense ESPECIALLY since your other 2 RBs is a 3rd down back coming off a serious injury, and a Rookie who was hurt 3 times, never carrying the ball more than 20 times before the playoffs....and when he did....he got...hurt. :eek:[/QUOTE]

It is always a bad sign when somebody becomes defensive of things they haven't been criticized for. You're entire premise (regarding the Jets) is based upon potential happenings which you decide to skew towards a Murphy's law interpretation of free agency, one most of us are already aware of - if there is a fan base aware of worst case scenario's it would Jets fans. It seems to me you must feel somehow slighted if you are to go to such lengths to prove a point, because it clearly isn't a dialogue your attempting to engage in, you haven't conceded at all, if anything you've become further polarized. I don't portend to be a football Nostradamus, it is really one of the most unpredictable of sports, every year there are a ton of surprise teams both losing and winning, and the causes for these surprise teams are more often than not completely unrelated to free agency.

These moves are not immune to criticism and personally I've second guessed each one about as much as I've enjoyed each one, but at the end of the day you should realize the circumstances by which moves are praised or criticized are the end results, engaging in an attack of moves before any resultant is equally as misguided and becoming enamored of them.

Your contribution to this thread is no better than a Mike Francesa rant in which contrary views of perceived succeses are aimed at inciting a fan base, though his motivation is profit, yours is confused or pathetic (don't give me that civil conversation crap).
    Last edited by operaguy; 03-18-2010 at 12:46 AM.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3529801]Why is what I write spin, while what you write is objective????????

[b]First you are counting on Greene to be your bellweather RB, when, althoiugh he's shown he's a talented RB (there are a lot in the league), he has also shown the propensity to get hurt (THREE times just last season). You ASSUME that LW is coming back 100%, while at the same time assuming that Welker ISN'T. Finally you ASSUME that while everyone else in the league understands that LT is done. Somehow because he suddenly dons a green jersey he will miraculously become an effective performer...or even a decent back up.[/b]

And Moroney is a "total" bust, even though he's averaged over 4ypc throughout his career, and what has made him a disappoint to some Pats fans is the fact he CAN'T stay healthy.....Kind of like Greene's problem eh? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Green got hurt 3 times?

Really?

He didn't play last year until Leon got hurt, he didn't miss a game, the only time he was taken out was when he hurt his ribs in the Championship game.

No, there is no guarantee on Greene, but how can you sit there with a straight face, and spin that we shouldn't be high on Greene, and then try to spin us that Maroney hasn't been a bust?

Comparing Greene and Welker's injury is pure ignorance, Welker may not even start the year next year, and even when he does come back, he will need at least a 1/2 year to get his legs back, he is a WR, he needs his leg, he had multiple ligament injuries, that is a skill position's worst nightmare. Greene had a rib injury.

You are a damn clown.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3530283]

As to Crash's last post - I would disagree strongly but with a caveat with his last opinion. Greene, LT and LW is NOT as good as group as Green TJ and LW. THrowing Danny Woodhead in there was not a realistic or fair option.
    [/QUOTE]

But that's the point....from week 7 on, it was Green, TJ and Woodhead and the Jets running game was absolutely great. You don't need 3 RBs to be successful in this league. Woodhead was a throwaway in a sense. If Leon didn't get hurt, Greene would never have seen the light of day.

This year, we will have 3 RBs, not 2, who will get meaningful carries. That doesn't mean you can't feed the hot hand. Tanny made a very cogent point in an interview post-LDT acquisition....some days he'll get 8 carries, some he'll get 28. None of the 3 RBs is a bellcow back (I know what you meant :D ) that deserves/ has earned all the carries. If LDT is the hot hand, he'll get. If Greene is bowling over the defense that day, keep feeding the monster.

If your point is that LDT is completely done, I guess we simply have to agree to disagree, but it is simply not the case that the rest of the league thinks he's done. The Vikings, despite having AD, were desperate for him. Others teams, like the Saints and Iggles, were also interested. Ex-teammates, like Lorenzo Neal, were saying how great he still is and how he was misused in SD. I'd say that's pretty indicative that the guy still has what it takes to be effective in this league, albeit not necessarily ready to get 300+ carries. That's fine for our needs.

I'll be the first one to admit a deficiency on the Jets. Our RB situation is better than it was last year. And its not all that close.

[QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;3530356]2000+ views, almost 100 responses. Nice trolling Ken! I can only hope to some
    day ascend to that level! You and PFT are DaMen! :D

[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/FishChum-1.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

... ken's trolling is one of thought out, well supported, and detailed posts ... albeit, they are 100% centric with a terrible anti-jets tone and agenda ...

... tx & the majority of your fellow pats "live under the bridge" ilk have long since been locked away in the ignore closet ... to my JI posting delight and joie de vivre ... you, so far, are much closer to the latter than the former ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3528222]I post this to offer an alternative....and not so rosy.... picture of the acquisitions that that Jets have made thus far in this off season. Much has been said, and by and large the Jets FO has been praised for their aggressive actions to improve a team that was one game away from the superbowl.

Let me state up front that I agree that Jet fans have every right to be thrilled with last year's team. They have every right to be optimistic, or even wildly optimistic about the upcoming year. The Jets SHOULD BE considered the frontrunner in the AFCE coming into the 2010 season.

That being said, lets look at the 3 most significant acquisitions and losses that the Jets have made this off season....SO FAR (because I believe that what rosters look like today, and what they will look like in late Aug, can change dramatically)

1. Antonio Cromartie - On the surface this looks like a huge upgrade.

2. Brodney Pool - I don't know much about Poole, but it can hardly be called an upgrade

3. LT - Congrats, you just picked up a future HOFer, and you will have the opportunity to see (though very rarely) why he will be inducted in Canton Ohio. Consider your experience similar to that of Cardinal fans who saw the rare examples of brilliance that Emmit Smith flashed in his 2 years of relative unproductive play with the Birds before he finally gave it up.
    [/QUOTE]

[B]Antonio Cromartie[/B] - will be an upgrade over Lito Sheppard, he is younger and has superior physical tools and does not have Sheppard's long documented injury history. I am not saying Cromartie will have a 10 INT season but I think he will have a productive year and will stabilize the revolving door RCB position for us.

[B]Brodney Pool[/B] - You admitted yourself you don't know much about him and quite honestly, neither do I but from what I have read about him he has had some injury issues - what safety hasn't? Pool does play alot more physical then Hollywood Rhodes does and he is not distracted by constantly wanting his face plastered all over the T.V. screen. I am willing to roll the dice that Pool will stay healthy - at least football is his top priority and he will hit somebody like a safety should and not worry about looking pretty or not getting his uniform too dirty, like Hollywood Rhodes always was.

[B]Ladanian Tomlinson[/B] - this in my opinion is where you are the furthest off the mark Ken.

Emmitt Smith was 34 years old when he signed with the Cardinals. LT will only turn 31 this coming June. The Jets only signed him to a 2 year deal. [B]LT will still be a year younger then Emitt was when he signed with the Cardinals AT THE END of his Jets contract.[/B] I think LT will be productive - he most likely won't put up the kind of numbers he did in SD, only because he won't be getting as many touches because the Jets, at the moment, have 3 very capable backs in Green, Washington & Tomlinson. LT will also have the benefit of a better O-line to run behind with the Jets then he had with San Diego. Needless to say I think you are quite a bit off the mark comparing LT's potential production with the Jets to what Emmitt Smith did with the Cardinals, you're definitely reaching on that one Ken. ;)

Will LT be a workhorse like Thomas Jones was? Probably not, but, with Leon back & healthy and Shonne Green, he doesn't need to be. The truth is after the way Thomas Jones slowed down in the playoffs, with that knee injury he had, there were no guarantees that Jones would return this year as the workhorse he was previously. That is why I think the Jets were willing to let him walk in the first place.

I think if you compare both LT and TJ at this point in their careers, LT is the more explosive runner right now.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-18-2010 at 09:38 AM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ljr@work;3530590]... ken's trolling is one of thought out, well supported, and detailed posts ... albeit, they are 100% centric with a terrible anti-jets tone and agenda ...

... tx & the majority of your fellow pats "live under the bridge" ilk have long since been locked away in the ignore closet ... to my JI posting delight and joie de vivre ... you, so far, are much closer to the latter than the former ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

I am honored and appreciative of your tolerance for my humble contributions... :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3530606][B]Antonio Cromartie[/B] - will be an upgrade over Lito Sheppard, he is younger and has superior physical tools and does not have Sheppard's long documented injury history. I am not saying Cromartie will have a 10 INT season but I think he will have a productive year and will stabilize the revolving door RCB position for us.

[B]Brodney Pool[/B] - You admitted yourself you don't know much about him and quite honestly, neither do I but from what I have read about him he has had some injury issues - what safety hasn't? Pool does play alot more physical then Hollywood Rhodes does and he is not distracted by constantly wanting his face plastered all over the T.V. screen. I am willing to roll the dice that Pool will stay healthy - at least football is his top priority and he will hit somebody like a safety should and not worry about looking pretty or not getting his uniform too dirty, like Hollywood Rhodes always was.

[B]Ladanian Tomlinson[/B] - this in my opinion is where you are the furthest off the mark Ken.

Emmitt Smith was 34 years old when he signed with the Cardinals. LT will only turn 31 this coming June. The Jets only signed him to a 2 year deal. [B]LT will still be a year younger then Emitt was when he signed with the Cardinals AT THE END of his Jets contract.[/B] I think LT will be productive - he most likely won't put up the kind of numbers he did in SD, only because he won't be getting as many touches because the Jets, at the moment, have 3 very capable backs in Green, Washington & Tomlinson. LT will also have the benefit of a better O-line to run behind with the Jets then he had with San Diego. Needless to say I think you are quite a bit off the mark comparing LT's potential production with the Jets to what Emmitt Smith did with the Cardinals, you're definitely reaching on that one Ken. ;)

Will LT be a workhorse like Thomas Jones was? Probably not, but, with Leon back & healthy and Shonne Green, he doesn't need to be. The truth is after the way Thomas Jones slowed down in the playoffs, with that knee injury he had, there were no guarantees that Jones would return this year as the workhorse he was previously. That is why I think the Jets were willing to let him walk in the first place.

I think if you compare both LT and TJ at this point in their careers, LT is the more explosive runner right now.[/QUOTE]

Well thought out responses ARod, let me rebut....sort of.

I'm almost convinced that Cromartie should be an upgrade on what you got from Shepard. I think my initial reaction was to the posts that elevated Cromartie way above what his production actually was over the last 3 seasons. He certainly is a tease, talent-wise. But my thought he is just a one year wonder, much like Vasher, Shepard, and the former all pro CB (for one year) that the Pats picked up and who bombed a couple of years ago.

On Poole, I also agree. One could look at him as damaged goods and left overs from a bad team, or as a talented guy who just needs to get healthy to play a top level. The reality is that time will tell. (as with a lot of moves that are going to play out between now and September). AGAIN, my reaction was more against the unreasonable high expectations the signing seemed to evoke. Like the guy who pointed out that he was the 5th ranked S according to this site, all the while ignoring that KRhodes was the second ranked. ;)

As to LT, I have to disagree more. I don't think age is the issue. Its the number of carries. IIRC LT is younger than TJ, but Jones has had over a THOUSAND few carries in his career thus far. When a running back goes, its usually very fast, ie Shaun Alexander, who went from a record breaker (TD's in a season) to out of the league in a matter of 2 and a half years.

BOTTOM LINE, I can't help thinking that your running game isn't as strong THIS year as it was last. And that is compounded by the fact that I DON'T think your OL will be as strong, just considering the age factor with Faneca and Woody...and the fact the lack of injuries to your OL is really stretching the law of averages (I'm really jealous).

Maybe that will be a good thing if more of the load is put on Sanchez's shoulders. We shall see.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3530544]Green got hurt 3 times?

Really?

He didn't play last year until Leon got hurt, he didn't miss a game, the only time he was taken out was when he hurt his ribs in the Championship game.[/QUOTE]

Greene was playing through an ankle injury in preseason, he re-injured it during the Saints game, and then hurt his ribs in the playoffs.