Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets sign Rodrique Wright (DL)

Donít sell this move short. I remember this guy very well and wanted him for the Jets This guy was one of the top DE/DTís in the draft. He was expected to go in the first round for sure, and then mysteriously fell to the 7th.

He had been playing with a torn rotator cuff, for two years, and didnít know it. It was discovered at the Combine, and the Fish took him in the 7th.

He had surgery, and seemingly never recovered.

This kid could be a major find, or maybe he is done. Should be a very interesting player to watch in camp, if he makes it that far.

Rodrique Wright

Position: Defensive Tackle
    School: Texas
    Height: 6-5
    Weight: 330
    40-Yard Dash: 5.00 (est)
    Positives:

When you watch Rodrique play, you'll notice he is often the first player off the ball. Combine that with his good speed for a 330 pound lineman, and you have many sacks and tackles for loss. He's also a very strong player, which allows him to push linemen into the backfield. Wright can also drop back and cover a small zone once in awhile, and his good jumping ability allows him to knock down some passes. He also takes up a lot of space, and draws double teams due to this fact.
    Negatives:

Once in awhile, he'll take a play off. While it rarely occurs, if he continues to do this at the pro level, he won't be the player he's capable of being. He will also occasionally be over aggressive, and overrun a play, or get a costly penalty at a crucial point in the game.
    Overview:

Just like when he was entering college, Wright will be the top DT prospect available. He should definitely be a top-10 pick. His size, speed, and strength make him a constant threat to get into the backfield. And he has proven he can play very well against top offensive linemen.
    It will more then likely take him a couple of years to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. But he will quickly learn that he can't over-pursue plays and still have positive results like he did on occasion in college. With the right coaching and a better work ethic, he could be one of the better DTs in the game.

Dolphins' draft 'steal' Wright has torn rotator cuff

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com
    Archive
    The Miami Dolphins may have landed the biggest steal in the draft when they selected University of Texas defensive tackle Rodrique Wright, considered a first-round candidate at the outset of the 2005 season and certainly a first-day pick in most analyses leading up to the lottery, in the seventh round on Sunday evening.
    Unfortunately, Miami might have to wait until 2007 to reap the benefits of its heist.
    Tests before the draft revealed that Wright, the 226th player chosen over the weekend and the last of the 23 defensive tackles selected to go off the board, has a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder. The Dolphins will conduct a follow-up MRI exam later this week and may opt to have Wright undergo surgery to repair the condition.
    If Wright does have surgery, there is a chance he could miss the entire 2006 season and, at best, wouldn't be available until the second half of his rookie campaign.
    "If there's anything good in this, I guess it's that my stock dropped because of a medical condition, not because of my football talent," said Wright. "It's still disappointing, no doubt about that, but now the mystery is taken out of it. That helps a little bit."
    Wright played much of his junior season and all of his senior year with the shoulder problem, but it wasn't until Dolphins coach Nick Saban phoned him Sunday morning that the former Longhorns star understood the seriousness of the injury and the possibility that surgery might be indicated. At least three other franchises had "red flagged" Wright as a medical risk and the Carolina Panthers removed him from their draft board entirely.
    The injury never sidelined Wright for even a single game and he appeared in 50 contests in four college seasons. Notable is that, over his last two seasons, Wright's statistics were not nearly as prolific as in his first two years. As a freshman and sophomore, he totaled 145 tackles and 12 sacks. His numbers dropped to 82 tackles and 5Ĺ sacks in 2004-2005.
    There is a chance Wright could continue to play with the torn rotator cuff, but Saban said the condition could cut short his career. Because the Dolphins value Wright for the long-term, they may suggest he have the surgery sometime in the next few weeks, to get him quickly into a rehabilitation program. Such surgeries can require six months of rehabilitation for non-quarterbacks.
    "If he continues to play with it," Saban said, "it's going to have a degenerative effect on his ability to play long-term."
    Despite checking in at 6-feet-5 1/8 and 300 pounds, Wright actually has a lean frame and plays with good lateral range. He was clocked at 5.08 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine, had a 32-inch vertical jump and performed 31 repetitions on the standard 225-pound bench press.
    There is a chance he can continue to play tackle and perhaps even bulk up more if he stays at the position. Miami coaches also think he can play end, especially on the early downs in a 3-4 front. The Dolphins continued to incorporate more 3-4 looks, the scheme that Saban ultimately prefers as his base defense, during the offseason.
    Whether they are able to incorporate Wright into the defense in general for 2006, or fix the shoulder now and risk losing him for his entire rookie campaign, probably will be determined later this week.
    Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3528633]Yeah the only difference is one guy was taken #6 overall and the other guy was just signed off the street. Not exactly comparing apples to apples here.[/quote]

Really?

Thats so funny, I though both were currently employed as "Football Players". Seems that makes them the same.

After all, it's not like players take their "how they were aquired" status on the field with them in any physical way.

So yea, #6 or UDFA, if they play the same general position, they are comparable. Only fan expectation changes with aquisition level.

And in this case, they seemingly reportedly supposedly suffer the same malady of lack of drive.

Hopefully for us, they both fix that lack.

[quote]Oh yeah, and they play different positions. Sort of. Neither one actually "plays" much, but one is 6'5" 300 and is a 3-4 DE while Ghost is a 6'3" 265 3-4 OLB.[/QUOTE]

Semantics.

Gholston was a DE who converted to 'Pass-Rush-like-a-DE OLB' at the pro-level. The compariosn was more one of the drawbacks than the specificity of thei rskillsets playing DE/OLB.

Hmmmmm, so he's had a year off and maybe he's fully recovered from the surgery to repair that rotator cuff? :eek:

6'5 300 lbs... Thats what were looking for in a 34DE. Rodrique WRIGHT welcome aboard! THIS IS NY NOT MIAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I wonder if Douglas is a goner????:D I HOPE SO!!!!!!!!:D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3528674]Really?

Thats so funny, I though both were currently employed as "Football Players". Seems that makes them the same.

After all, it's not like players take their "how they were aquired" status on the field with them in any physical way.

So yea, #6 or UDFA, if they play the same general position, they are comparable. Only fan expectation changes with aquisition level.

And in this case, they seemingly reportedly supposedly suffer the same malady of lack of drive.

Hopefully for us, they both fix that lack.

Semantics.

Gholston was a DE who converted to 'Pass-Rush-like-a-DE OLB' at the pro-level. The compariosn was more one of the drawbacks than the specificity of thei rskillsets playing DE/OLB.[/QUOTE]

Both guys are "football players" who make tackles and try to sack the QB, so they must play the same position, right?

Both guys were acquired by the Jets. The how has no bearing on their salary, expectations or status on the roster?

With arguments like this, why don't we all just quit comparing players and skill sets. If everyone in the NFL is a "football player" why do we even bother with the positions?

Maybe the players don't think about how they were acquired, but the coaching staff and FO certainly do.

If this guy comes in and isn't playing/practicing hard, isn't motivated... he'll be gone in the blink of an eye. Gholston can't be cut without paying his very substantial sum of guaranteed money, so that alone makes the comparison invalid.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3528287]Probably just a camp body... and because it was my first thought so i had to look it up, no, he's not the guy Nick Saban made cry in his first practice, that was Manuel Wright.[/QUOTE]

Too early for a "camp body."

I think the Jets might see something in him to sign him now. We can't overlook the timing of the signing.

They signed him before any of the OTA and offseason workouts. So unless he's a total a-hole, that means he'll be with the team at least until minicamp in June.

That's at least 3 months in the system, physical training in the Jets facility, working with the coaches, getting along with prospective teammates, etc. This gives Wright the opportunity to get into "Jets shape" before camp.

A "camp body" would be a signing around minicamp in the beginning of summer or even training camp in late July.

I'm not suping this guy up or anything. It's just obvious to me that with Rex's success with UDFAs and the like, the team has taken the approach of, "Let's get this guy in here early and working with us and let's see what happens."

Sounds like a poor man's Gholston.

this dude stinks. at least gholston has upside. rod wright never proved to anyone he's even interested.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3528896]this dude stinks. at least gholston has upside. rod wright never proved to anyone he's even interested.[/QUOTE]

Besides you Bit, who has Gholston convinced heís interested. :)

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3528772]With arguments like this, why don't we all just quit comparing players and skill sets.[/QUOTE]

Christ sake, I wasn't making an "argument". Did you see a wall of text in my OP in this thread? No, neither did I.

I made a passing comment that this players reportcard says he is Gholston-esque in his lack of motivation and drive. Period, end of comment, end of intention.

TLDR Version: :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=flgreen;3528911]Besides you Bit, who has Gholston convinced heís interested. :)[/QUOTE]

Calvin Pace. The Jets.

[url]http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/16/pace-says-jets-believe-in-gholston[/url]

Rookie

Good,now cut Gholston!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O494WSyP3Oc[/url]

Motivation may be a major part of his problem, but ya have to give the kid some slack, he also suffered a severe injury that required surgery before he took his first NFL snap.

His lack of motivation may have played a part of why he didnít rehabilitate. He has been out of football totally for over a year. He at one time had enough talent that he was considered a 1st rounder, perhaps a year out of football has made him hungry, Literally.

It seems like the Jets want to get him in their off season conditioning program to see if he has had a fire lit under him. If not he will probably be gone around the time camp opens.

If it has lit the fire, the Jets may have found a very good player, very cheap. It is sure worth a shot.

Gholston doesnít have the alibi of an injury. He just hasnít shown that he is a football player.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3528921]Calvin Pace. The Jets.

[url]http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/16/pace-says-jets-believe-in-gholston[/url][/QUOTE]

Doesn't seem as if all the players are convinved

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the release of New York Jets RB Thomas Jones is a decision that stung several veterans on the team. "I can tell you, it's not going to be a popular move in the locker room," said one player, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "We loved T.J. The man loved the game and put it all on the line only to get dumped after his best season. [B]I think you should reward players for performance. You dump him but give LB Vernon Gholston another shot?[/B] Doesn't make sense." OG Alan Faneca said it would be difficult to replace Jones' intangibles and production. "It just goes to show the business side of the game, when such a productive guy like T.J. is released," Faneca said in an e-mail. "To be so close last year, and then for T.J. not to be there with us going after the ring again is what hurts."

Read more: [url]http://www.kffl.com/player/18203/NFL#ixzz0iNepz5Qx[/url]

[QUOTE=flgreen;3529014]Doesn't seem as if all the players are convinved [/QUOTE]

this isn't a gholston thread

try to find an article that says "X player/coach/personnel guy believes in Rod Wright"

can't be done.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3529024]this isn't a gholston thread

try to find an article that says "X player/coach/personnel guy believes in Rod Wright"

can't be done.[/QUOTE]

So why did the Jets sign him...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=flgreen;3529014][B]You dump him but give LB Vernon Gholston another shot?[/B][/QUOTE]

Is it just me or does this quote not sound like something another player on the team would say? Would they honestly refer to him as [B]LB Vernon Gholston[/B]??? Surely "Vernon" would be enough, there's only one of them.

Just thought this was odd.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SMC;3528807]Too early for a "camp body."

I think the Jets might see something in him to sign him now. We can't overlook the timing of the signing.

They signed him before any of the OTA and offseason workouts. So unless he's a total a-hole, that means he'll be with the team at least until minicamp in June.

That's at least 3 months in the system, physical training in the Jets facility, working with the coaches, getting along with prospective teammates, etc. This gives Wright the opportunity to get into "Jets shape" before camp.

A "camp body" would be a signing around minicamp in the beginning of summer or even training camp in late July.

I'm not suping this guy up or anything. It's just obvious to me that with Rex's success with UDFAs and the like, the team has taken the approach of, "Let's get this guy in here early and working with us and let's see what happens."[/QUOTE]

very nice post and I agree with you. Too many guys are so quick to use the term" Camp fodder". They should read your post.

Jets Insider VIP
    :yes:[QUOTE=flgreen;3528961]Motivation may be a major part of his problem, but ya have to give the kid some slack, he also suffered a severe injury that required surgery before he took his first NFL snap.

His lack of motivation may have played a part of why he didnít rehabilitate. He has been out of football totally for over a year. He at one time had enough talent that he was considered a 1st rounder, perhaps a year out of football has made him hungry, Literally.

It seems like the Jets want to get him in their off season conditioning program to see if he has had a fire lit under him. If not he will probably be gone around the time camp opens.

If it has lit the fire, the Jets may have found a very good player, very cheap. It is sure worth a shot.

Gholston doesnít have the alibi of an injury. He just hasnít shown that he is a football player.[/QUOTE]

Very sound reasoning. I hope this kid comes through for us and quiets all his detractors. If Rex and Mr.T signed him, they did it for the reason you stated. That means they have hope that he can be what he once was in college. If he even gets close to that, we have found a diamond! Rex and T deserve credit for looking under evry rock to find talent. Too bad so many on this board are so quick to dismiss their efforts to improve the team. Lets give the kid time in our system and with this headcoach before we label him as a failure or "just camp fodder". Lets keep in mind the kid must have kept himself in shape for a reason. He is hungry to play football.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3529024]this isn't a gholston thread

can't be done.[/QUOTE]

Look at the bottom of the contract that was offered to him by Rex and Mr.T. That says they believe in him and want to take him through our OTA's and possibly camp. Then who knows? It not right to be cynical when guys like REX and Mr.T are trying to improve the team by looking under every rock. Lets give them credit for trying and hope the kid makes them look great. GO JETS! I never saw an article stating that anyone believed in Chrebet either. The contract said it all.