Thread: Mike Lombardi was guest speaker in my class

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike Lombardi was guest speaker in my class

Hey guys, Im a sports management major at the University of Delaware and today we had Michael Lombardi, writer for National Football Post, NFL Network Analyst, etc as a guest speaker. It was very interesting how he got his start in the business(driving around Bill Walsh for a year) etc. We got to ask some questions, so I jumped at the opportunity:

I asked: What are the chances Brandon Marshall will end up with the Jets?

His response: I think they are pretty good. They have definately had dialougue about making a trade but it is all gonna come down to if Jets managment thinks they can handle his offseason problems etc.

-He didnt really want to commit to a full yes or no but it was cool to be able to ask him.

Another question I asked:
    If you were still a GM, which player would you be targeting the most in this draft?

His Response:
    He believes in the idea that it all starts with the offensive and defensive line and that you need 6/10 lineman to be very good (5 offensive/4 dline and 1 rusher) to succeed in the league. He would target Suh, McCoy or Russel Okung

Some other questions asked were:

What is his opinion on the Eagles QB Situation?

-He said that McNabb will be the guy this year and that he thinks that after this year, depending on success(Superbowl), the Eagles will make a decision to move on with McNabb and let him go and move to Kolb. much like with what happened with Aaron Rodgers.

-He took some shots at Mangini for trying to be too like Belicheck and not having his own course of action or plan.:D
    - he seemed to be a big Parcells guy because he got to work with him for a while.
    -He also gave us some good insight about Al Davis and how he calls the Raiders organization the "Hotel California". You can check out any time but you just can't leave. He said when you walk in that building its 1960 but when you walk out its 2010, which is why they suck. He said he had every intentions of changing the Raiders but couldnt do it with Davis. He recounted multiple times where Davis would yell at him if he didnt know the hand size, arm length or size of a guy on the spot.

All in all, it was very educational and I thought I would share the info here since some of it is Jets related.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJETS3233;3528321] He recounted multiple times where Davis would yell at him if he didnt know the hand size, arm length or size of a guy on the spot.
    [/QUOTE]

not that outrageous of a demand for an owner to expect that level of recall from a personnel director. if Mike Lombardi were a good GM he'd have that job somewhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    RT @[URL="https://twitter.com/lobacz87"]lobacz87[/URL]: Any truth to rumors Jets want marshall? ... None.

[url]https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing[/url]

Back to school for me today. Speaking at the University of Delaware Sports Management Program.

[url]https://twitter.com/michaelombardi[/url]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3528326]not that outrageous of a demand for an owner to expect that level of recall from a personnel director. if Mike Lombardi were a good GM he'd have that job somewhere.[/QUOTE]

yeah but it also goes to show you how much Al Davis and the Raiders put into measurables and as we know that hasnt worked out for them too much the past few years (Jamarcus Russell, Heyward-Bey, etc).