Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J&J Park

Jets Insider VIP

J&J Park

Do it Woody, you have the $$$ and J&J gets the exposure for $.50 on the dollar....

Rookie
    This was my idea, except he should name it "Jets Stadium" so the wine and cheese big blow fans can walk into our park for the next 30 years.

I proposed this to Boomer and Carton this morning on the FAN and they liked the idea.

And Woody doesn't have anything to do with J&J anymore.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3528494]And Woody doesn't have anything to do with J&J anymore.[/QUOTE]

Then how about, "Woody's World"?

All League
    Woody had a summer internship with J&J when he was a kid. Other than that, he has no connection other than the familial name. His father and grandfather apparently shut him out and he made his money in cable television stations.

[QUOTE=SMC;3528505]Then how about, "Woody's World"?[/QUOTE]

Can we have Chevy Chase at the opening?

[SIZE="1"](I know it was Wally's)[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=ozu;3528514]Woody had a summer internship with J&J when he was a kid. Other than that, he has no connection other than the familial name. His father and grandfather apparently shut him out and he made his money in cable television stations.[/QUOTE]

I thought he made his investments in real estate, stock holdings and cheating the IRS? :i_dont_kn

By the way, if Woody would have never outbid Dolan, we'd have the West Side Stadium and a name on the building.

I like Woody but just sayin' :cool:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3528530]I thought he made his investments in real estate, stock holdings and cheating the IRS? :i_dont_kn

By the way, if Woody would have never outbid Dolan, we'd have the West Side Stadium and a name on the building.

I like Woody but just sayin' :cool:[/QUOTE]

I don't think Woody outbid Dolan. I think the other NFL owners selected Woody because he was a safer choice and would not rock the boat like an Al Davis or Jerry Jones. Of course not only would we have the WSS but NFL Network would be available on Cablevision.

"No more tears" stadium

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=ozu;3528514]Woody had a summer internship with J&J when he was a kid. Other than that, he has no connection other than the familial name. [B]His father and grandfather apparently shut him out and he made his money in cable television stations[/B].[/QUOTE]

First time seeing that. I would love to see a link. I think Woody was pretty much set from birth. I think he "made his money" from his last name. As far as I knew, Woody founded an investment firm to essentially manage his own money.

All League
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3528530]I thought he made his investments in real estate, stock holdings and cheating the IRS?[/QUOTE]I got this from Business Week...
    [QUOTE]Determined to chart his own course, Johnson never pursued a career at J&J. He worked just one summer there as a teen. Johnson instead made a series of investments in the cable-television business and real estate in Florida, where he grew up, before moving to New York in 1984. There he began managing investments for several family members. In the 1990s, after one of his three daughters was diagnosed with diabetes, he began raising money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. And he founded the Alliance for Lupus Research in 1999 when another family member was struck with the disease.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=petejet;3528546]I don't think Woody outbid Dolan. I think the other NFL owners selected Woody because he was a safer choice and would not rock the boat like an Al Davis or Jerry Jones. Of course not only would we have the WSS but NFL Network would be available on Cablevision.[/QUOTE]

Dolan bid a little over $600 million.

Woody went $100 million over what the team was said to be worth. ($635 I believe)

Dolan wasn't going to outpay stupidity. In retrospect, it was a brilliant move to overpay for what is now one of the most profitable sports teams in the world.

All League
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3528555]First time seeing that. I would love to see a link. I think Woody was pretty much set from birth. I think he "made his money" from his last name. As far as I knew, Woody founded an investment firm to essentially manage his own money.[/QUOTE]Yeah, to be fair, he was probably already a billionaire from family money by the time he started financing cable stations, but that and real estate were his primary business interests before the Jets. Actually it looks like his father was fired and the family was shut out.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/11/sports/football/11woody.ready.html?_r=1[/url]

[QUOTE]But thunder struck in 1965, when Woody Johnson was 18: His father was fired by his grandfather.

"The General stopped at nothing to take control of the company, and, like many famous men, he thought his own son was worthless," an in-law named Nicholas Rutgers is quoted as saying in the book "Johnson v. Johnson" by Barbara Goldsmith (Knopf 1987). "He used to tell my mother: 'Bobby is nothing. Bobby will amount to nothing.' ''[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3528517]Can we have Chevy Chase at the opening?

[SIZE="1"](I know it was Wally's)[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Cool!

Heck, I was thinking: "Woody Wonka & the Chocolate Factory"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SMC;3528505]Then how about, "Woody's World"?[/QUOTE]
    [IMG]http://www.thegoosesroost.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/wallyworld.jpg[/IMG]

Woody/Wally World...that works :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=ozu;3528569]Yeah, to be fair, he was probably already a billionaire from family money by the time he started financing cable stations, but that and real estate were his primary business interests before the Jets. Actually it looks like his father was fired and the family was shut out.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/11/sports/football/11woody.ready.html?_r=1[/url][/QUOTE]

Woody did a yeoman's effort of not squandering his family fortune. He deserves some credit for that considering how poorly most fortunes are handled.

At least he invested a big chunk into a football team instead of race horses. Theres the old joke "How do you make a small fortune in horse racing? Start with a large fortune."

Woody buying his own naming rights is not a good business plan. It would be like him buying the unsold PSLs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Then why was Casey the J&J heiress???????

Veteran
    I work for J&J. The reason Casey is the J&J heiress is because even though Woody has no official ties to the company, he still holds significant stock in the company as well as the controlling interest in the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Boomer7;3528649]I work for J&J. The reason Casey is the J&J heiress is because even though Woody has no official ties to the company, he still holds significant stock in the company as well as the controlling interest in the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.[/QUOTE]

clears that up.... now what company will step up and Pay $25MM per year?