Thread: RB Toby Gerhart to have private workout with Jets

Jets Insider VIP

RB Toby Gerhart to have private workout with Jets

Stanford running back Toby Gerhart has been scheduled for private workouts with the Denver Broncos and the New York Jets, according to a league source.

Gerhart is set to work out for the Broncos on March 24 and the Jets on March 30.

Winning the Doak Walker award as the nation's top running back last season, Gerhart rushed for 1,871 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Gerhart ran the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds at the NFL scouting combine and also registered a 38-inch vertical leap.

The Heisman Trophy finalist also scored the highest Wonderlic score among the running backs with a 30 and bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times.

"Ive been compared with the other white guys that have played my position," Gerhart said at the NFL scouting combine. "I get compared to (John) Riggers, (Mike) Alstott and stuff like that. But Im color blind. Im a running back. I compare my running styles to the likes of Eddie George or Corey Dillon, those type of guys.

Gerhart has been mentioned as a fullback candidate, but he envisions himself playing running back in the NFL.

I see myself as a running back at the next level," Gerhart said ."If (fullback) is asked of me Ill do it. The teams above all else. But I firmly believe that I have the skill set to play running back at the next level.

Good to hear that the Jets are looking at this kid. His production is similar to that of Shonn Greene and I'd love to have him of Lagarette Blount in our backfield pounding the rock. However, 1- if this were to happen the Jets would likely trade Leon and 2 - The players that the Jets covet usually meet with the Jets in secret. There was absolutely no media mention of the Jets working out Sanchez, Greene, Keller, Revis, Harris, Mangold, Gholston etc before the draft - usually its a bunch of smokescreens like Darren McFadden coming in for visits

with the addition of LT, I am all in favor of trading Leon and drafting a back like Toby

[QUOTE=sect313;3528931]with the addition of LT, I am all in favor of trading Leon and drafting a back like Toby[/QUOTE]

+1

If Leon is moved then I want another running back acquired via the draft. Gerhart is a pounder. Rex would love him.

I've thought Leon would be let to go ever since we gave him the 2nd round tender. I figured an eventual trade for a 3rd rounder or so. After we picked up LT even moreso and it makes sense to me that if we want a 3rd back to go with Greene and LT it will be a bigger, pounding back.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3528873]Stanford running back Toby Gerhart has been scheduled for private workouts with the Denver Broncos and the New York Jets, according to a league source.

Gerhart is set to work out for the Broncos on March 24 and the Jets on March 30.

Winning the Doak Walker award as the nation's top running back last season, Gerhart rushed for 1,871 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Gerhart ran the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds at the NFL scouting combine and also registered a 38-inch vertical leap.

The Heisman Trophy finalist also scored the highest Wonderlic score among the running backs with a 30 and bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times.

"Ive been compared with the other white guys that have played my position," Gerhart said at the NFL scouting combine. "I get compared to (John) Riggers, (Mike) Alstott and stuff like that. But Im color blind. Im a running back. I compare my running styles to the likes of Eddie George or Corey Dillon, those type of guys.

Gerhart has been mentioned as a fullback candidate, but he envisions himself playing running back in the NFL.

I see myself as a running back at the next level," Gerhart said ."If (fullback) is asked of me Ill do it. The teams above all else. But I firmly believe that I have the skill set to play running back at the next level.[/QUOTE]

On wich round is he projected to go?

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3529044]I've thought Leon would be let to go ever since we gave him the 2nd round tender. I figured an eventual trade for a 3rd rounder or so. After we picked up LT even moreso and it makes sense to me that if we want a 3rd back to go with Greene and LT it will be a bigger, pounding back.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. LT just became our 3rd downback and possible injury replacement if Greene were to go down again. However, I dont think the Jets are getting more than a 4th for Washington. Teams will start to hold out on trading for him because they know the closer the draft gets the more the Jets are going to try and dump him. Of course the Jets could always bite the bullet and keep him and try to somehow fit him into the mix to try and increase trade value mid season.

Would love for the Jets to draft Gerhart. The RB comittee with War Machine, LT etc would run wild all day

Hall Of Fame
    T Rich's successor?

[QUOTE=Colemonster;3529296]T Rich's successor?[/QUOTE]

If we draft Gerhart it aint to play full back.

[QUOTE=jetsfaneh;3529007]+1

If Leon is moved then I want another running back acquired via the draft. Gerhart is a pounder. Rex would love him.[/QUOTE]

If we move Leon we need to replace him as a KR....I know its not a huge priority position, but necessary.

I know he was hurt etc, but I think we are forgetting a lot of what Leon has been able to do for this team, even in his 6-12 touches a game....its not easy to find break away ability and we have that with Leon.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3529483]If we move Leon we need to replace him as a KR....I know its not a huge priority position, but necessary.

I know he was hurt etc, but I think we are forgetting a lot of what Leon has been able to do for this team, even in his 6-12 touches a game....its not easy to find break away ability and we have that with Leon.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. The Jets do have a decent KR prospect in Larry Taylor who came from the CFL, he might surprise a few people. I can still see the Jets drafting a KR/WR type somewhere in the draft.

i see this workout as a red herring. the jets took their bruiser last year in greene and they have other positions of need in a draft where their needs mesh with the talent. there's no harm in doing this, however.

I applaud this move. I only like the LT signing if we draft another young RB to add to the stable. Give me another big body back there and I think our top notch running game does not miss a beat.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=woodside;3528885]Good to hear that the Jets are looking at this kid. His production is similar to that of Shonn Greene and I'd love to have him of Lagarette Blount in our backfield pounding the rock. However, 1- if this were to happen the Jets would likely trade Leon and 2 - The players that the Jets covet usually meet with the Jets in secret. [B]There was absolutely no media mention of the Jets working out Sanchez[/b], Greene, [b]Keller, Revis, Harris, Mangold, Gholston[/B] etc before the draft - usually its a bunch of smokescreens like Darren McFadden coming in for visits[/QUOTE]

You're talking about high draft picks, woodside.

I remember the Jets being linked to lower picks that they actually drafted such as Slausen. There's less mystery in the later rounds because the talent pool is much less.

Plus, I specifically remember an article mentioning that the Jets had a private workout with Greene.

Gerhart is a middle round prospect, so there would be no smokescreen in meeting with him. Plus, having a private workout for smokescreen purposes is an incredible waste of money.

The bottom line is that the Jets are interested in Gerhart and want to take a look and test him based on their own criteria. If they like what they see and he's available in the middle rounds he'll likely be a Jet unless there's someone higher on their board that they like.

Finally, the Jets were definitely interested in McFadden. It came out after the 2008 that the Jets board was (1) Long, (2) DMC, (3) Gholston.

[QUOTE=SMC;3529565]You're talking about high draft picks, woodside.

I remember the Jets being linked to lower picks that they actually drafted such as Slausen. There's less mystery in the later rounds because the talent pool is much less.

Plus, I specifically remember an article mentioning that the Jets had a private workout with Greene.

Gerhart is a middle round prospect, so there would be no smokescreen in meeting with him. Plus, having a private workout for smokescreen purposes is an incredible waste of money.

The bottom line is that the Jets are interested in Gerhart and want to take a look and test him based on their own criteria. If they like what they see and he's available in the middle rounds he'll likely be a Jet unless there's someone higher on their board that they like.

Finally, the Jets were definitely interested in McFadden. It came out after the 2008 that the Jets board was (1) Long, (2) DMC, (3) Gholston.[/QUOTE]

Only one problem with this. After Gerhardt ran a 4.55 at the combine people started talking about him being a half back as opposed to full back and that he could slip into the first round of the draft. My guess is that he goes in Round 2. So he is no longer thought of as a mid rounder.

Banned
    [QUOTE=sect313;3528931]with the addition of LT, I am all in favor of trading Leon and drafting a back like Toby[/QUOTE]

+1

Would be a smart move.