Thread: We never discuss him here, but this is a guy the Jets really like...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

We never discuss him here, but this is a guy the Jets really like...

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/09/ny_jets_cb_marquice_cole_beats.html[/url]

Marquice Cole, the undrafted speedster out of Northwestern. Rex and Tannenbaum keep name dropping him along with Lowery. I think they feel they are upgrades over Lito and Strickland and maybe all they needed was a little more exposure, who knows with Cole, maybe he was a bit raw to get more time, but they seem to really like his game. I don't think there's a corner outside of the top 2 or 3 that can come in and unseat Lowery or Cole right now, maybe down the road but these guys have been in the system one year already and expect them to be ahead of the curve. Throw out Lowery's game against the Colts where he got beat by Garcon and he had a good season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;3529161][url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/09/ny_jets_cb_marquice_cole_beats.html[/url]

Marquice Cole, the undrafted speedster out of Northwestern. Rex and Tannenbaum keep name dropping him along with Lowery. I think they feel they are upgrades over Lito and Strickland and maybe all they needed was a little more exposure, who knows with Cole, maybe he was a bit raw to get more time, but they seem to really like his game. I don't think there's a corner outside of the top 2 or 3 that can come in and unseat Lowery or Cole right now, maybe down the road but these guys have been in the system one year already and expect them to be ahead of the curve. Throw out Lowery's game against the Colts where he got beat by Garcon and he had a good season.[/QUOTE]

I have read REX and T saying good things about Cole but I have not heard much about Lowery. I know you love him as a player. COLE has shown a lot of talent and speed. With more familiarity with the system, he could really develop into a special player for us. Kudos to Rex and T for finding this kid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    While the rookie comes in all wild eyed and then it dawns on him what he's up against, look at what our last corner on the depth chart has been doing for years now trying to get his shot:[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61m7QWF7RbU:eek:[/url]

This is Cole, but Lowery and Ihedigbo have been busting their ass for two, three years now trying desperately to get their shot, while the rookie thinks it's a relief to finally get over the meat market that is the combine and the personal workouts, he doesn't realize that that is only the beginning, if he's smart he continues working out like these underdogs, a lot of times they don't and rely on the fact they were drafted high or their college glory and are out of the NFL in a blink.

To stay in the game you have to be more determined than the guy that's ahead of you, that's common sense or you have to be supremely gifted. These cats that have stuck it out a couple of years are my favorite brand of player, they went undrafted and nothing's come easy for them, when they finally get the chance they hold on to their job like a pitbull does a bone and don't let go.

It must be fun for a coach to break the news to these rookies who just signed a huge contract and think things will be handed to them, the shock of the NFL must be devastating to some. I look at the guys that came in last year and close to 40% end up in IR then well over half don't even make a meaningful contribution during the year, the NFL is brutal boys, we talk about the draft like it's going to address all need areas but in reality it's only one part of it, these guys that are already on the roster count even more, the DeVito's, Ihedigbo's, Trusnik's and Cole's of the world.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3529167]I have read REX and T saying good things about Cole but I have not heard much about Lowery. I know you love him as a player. COLE has shown a lot of talent and speed. With more familiarity with the system, he could really develop into a special player for us. Kudos to Rex and T for finding this kid.[/QUOTE]

KJ, there's a site that ranks all corners in the league in terms of performance, number of passes thrown at and completed, Lowery was I think #6 among corners in the entire league. People get blinded when he makes a mistake because Revis is really clouding the perception of what an NFL corner should be, Lowery is a very effective player in this defense, he can play anywhere and not embarrass himself, even safety. Garcon beat him a few times, but Garcon and Peyton embarrassed a lot of corners last year. He played a masterful game against NE in NY and I don't hear no one mentioning that game, remember the pass breakup to ice the game? YeaH I bet you forgot.

By the way how's that leg treating you? Come by the JA and say hello, the guys there were asking about you.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    i believe the site you are talking about is coldhardfootballfacts.