Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Pro Day

All League

Florida Pro Day

[url]http://collegesports.blogs.theledger.com/10570/three-questions-heading-into-uf-pro-day/[/url]

[QUOTE]
    [SIZE="5"][B]Three Topics Heading Into UF Pro Day[/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]by Tom Zebold

The Florida Gatorís Pro Scout Day is Wednesday in Gainesville.[/SIZE]

Ledger reporter Rick Brown and I will be attending what should be a media frenzy. Florida has made the event free to fans. Combine them with writers and TV people and itís going to be crazy!

Before the madness happens, letís examine three key stories heading into the workout.

[B]1. Tim Tebow[/B] Ė OK, so heíll be unveiling his new throwing motion in front of scouts. The big question will be if it makes a difference in how high he gets drafted. Many writers say no, but I certainly donít think it can hurt. A quick release in the NFL is a very good thing and Iím very interested to see how the ball comes out of Tebowís hand in person. Some people say heíll go in the third of fourth round, but I say keep your eyes glued to the TV during round No. 2.

[B]2. Joe Haden[/B] Ė The star cornerback didnít wow the world when he ran the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. Heís promised a time of under 4.4 seconds in Wednesdayís event. If he does, it could solidify his place in the top 10 of the draft.

[B]3. Maurkice Pouncey [/B]Ė I think this guy is a first- or second-round pick in the draft and heís high up on Mel Kiper Jr.ís Big Board. This is just another chance for him to stay there as many teams should be taking a good look at the former Lakeland High School standout.
    [/QUOTE]

And i'll be there :yes:

I think the biggest guys at this for us are Riley Cooper and more importantly Major Wright, although I would love to see us draft Pouncey for 2011 and beyond.

Cooper will be around late, has some size and good hands.

Wright flew under the radar on that Def but from what I read is big, fast and could be a steal in the 3rd rd area.

Pouncey could be a nice pick at 29, granted it would be for the future and not have much impact on this year..I love Major Wright talk about a guy that lays the wood...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

wet field today...not a good thing for those who must run well (Spikes, Haden, Nelson, Cooper)....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Spikes doesn't break 5-seconds in the forty....

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3529636]Spikes doesn't break 5-seconds in the forty....[/QUOTE]

Plummet....boy did that guy ever blow it by not coming out last year.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3529638]Plummet....boy did that guy ever blow it by not coming out last year.[/QUOTE]

An 40 that awful would have cost him last year as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3529646]An 40 that awful would have cost him last year as well.[/QUOTE]

more than that- the guy is turning into a turd who does not want to work....

Brandon Siler-ish

Both were between the tackles thumpers who couldn't run and thus went in the 7th round. Could be where Spikes is heading...good news is that Siler's a decent player now.

Early report:

Spikes with a 5.00 and.a 5.01 Dunlap with a second 4.65 in 40.
    Unofficial 4.42 for Haden in first run. Hernandez 4.56.
    Hernandez threw up 30 reps of 225 on bench. Pouncey 25. Dunlap 22.

Scouts apparently taking .05 off the times due to the weather.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3529661]Early report:

Scouts apparently taking .05 off the times due to the weather.[/QUOTE]

i heard spikes was 5.02/5.08...they are also running up a slight grade which is part of the reason for the deduction...

david nelson stealing the show...

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3529661]Early report:

Scouts apparently taking .05 off the times due to the weather.[/QUOTE]

That's another ridiculous number for Dunlap. Can Rex motivate him to achieve his potential? He must be salivating over Carlos' tools.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=vinluvr;3529678]That's another ridiculous number for Dunlap. Can Rex motivate him to achieve his potential? He must be salivating over Carlos' tools.[/QUOTE]

I think Dunlap is going top 20.

All Pro
    ^really? look at the players in the first, and try to imagine him going before guys like Williams, Thomas, Bryant, Wilson, Graham... can't see it.

I can see it. His raw numbers, and his production when he bothers to turn on the motor, are all top-5. What hurts him is his attitude, which needs some tweakage. Hard to say how far it will cause him to fall, but Mike is probably right. Someone will take a shot on him before we do.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3529702]^really? look at the players in the first, and try to imagine him going before guys like Williams, Thomas, Bryant, Wilson, Graham... can't see it.[/QUOTE]

Wilson, Graham, Williams are nice players. But they are limited in terms of upside.

Dunlap, Bryant and Demaryius are prototypes at their positions. And teams tend to take prototypes in the 1st round. If a coach can figure out a way to get through to Dunlap, to motivate him to play hard, he can be a perennial All-Pro.

That's a risk guys like Singletary and Tomlin don't mind taking. Look at Vernon Davis. He finally figured it out and he's now one of the best TEs in the game.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3529646]An 40 that awful would have cost him last year as well.[/QUOTE]

He was still rated much higher before the combine or any pro day last year than this year by most accounts.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3529786]He was still rated much higher before the combine or any pro day last year than this year by most accounts.[/QUOTE]

The draft process is designed to expose flaws, the same reasons he's falling now would have been discovered at some point during the draft process last year. Granted, he may have gone slightly higher last year because it was a thinner draft, but I don't think things would have played out all that much differently for him if he came out last year.

Any word on how Tebow has looked with his new mechanics? Did the rain affect him at all?

[QUOTE=JiF;3529872]Any word on how Tebow has looked with his new mechanics? Did the rain affect him at all?[/QUOTE]

I'm hearing extremely positive stuff. But I'm going to poke around more to make sure this isn't just UF people being homers...