Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPA... We all seem to agree...

All League

BPA... We all seem to agree...

But, what if the Jets Draft Board dictates that the Best Player Available in the First round is a Running Back? Do they take him? Or do they trade out of the First Round to acquire a couple of extra picks?

One Scenario that could work [B]if[/B] the jets absolutely love a RB at 29:

S Greene- Starter for next 5 years
    L Tomlinson- 1 year and done
    Leon Washington- Will be with the Jets his whole career (ala Kevin Faulk)
    1st Rounder- Helps out on Special Teams, maybe Kick Returner, [B]then[/B] Replaces Tomlinson in 2011
    Tony Richardson-FB

Watcha think?
    Last edited by Yankeejet22; 03-17-2010 at 12:53 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=dassin;3529767]:huh:[/QUOTE]

Fixed, Thanks.

No, BDPA

best defensive player available

I'd honestly rather draft OL in the first round than WR/RB

Woody and Faneca are exactly spring chickens.

[QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3529760]But, what if the Jets Draft Board dictates that the Best Player Available in the First round is a Running Back? Do they take him? Or do they trade out of the First Round to acquire a couple of extra picks?

1st Rounder- Helps out on Special Teams, maybe Kick Returner, [B]then[/B] Replaces Tomlinson in 2010
    Tony Richardson-FB

Watcha think?[/QUOTE]

There's only one back that meets that criteria - CJ Spiller. And he is better than Leon by far. Forget STs. KR - absolutely. Not a replacement for LT, but for Leon. He'll be gone by 29. Long gone.
    The only other guy is Ryan Matthews. Good player but the Jets carrying 4 RBs? If Leon goes away, I can see them using their #2 tender on McKnight of USC.

All League
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3529779]There's only one back that meets that criteria - CJ Spiller. And he is better than Leon by far. Forget STs. KR - absolutely. Not a replacement for LT, but for Leon. He'll be gone by 29. Long gone.
    The only other guy is Ryan Matthews. Good player but the Jets carrying 4 RBs? If Leon goes away, I can see them using their #2 tender on McKnight of USC.[/QUOTE]

Tannenbaum is a big fan of Leon... He'll be a Jet.

I'll stick with my prediction that Leon is not with us opening day next year. Traded at or before the draft if no team signs him for the 2nd round tender.

GM's fall out of love with players just as quickly as they fall in love with them, at least the good ones do.

BPA is an idiotic, outdated concept that (fortunately) our wonderful GM doesnt follow.
    In fact, his recent major moves clearly show that he is just about the most ANTI-BPA general manager in the NFL.

He identifies our specific team needs , and then goes out and trades/signs a player to fill that SPECIFIC hole.

Odds are that we will draft a good pass rushing DL in round #1.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3529805]BPA is an idiotic, outdated concept that (fortunately) our wonderful GM doesnt follow.
    In fact, his recent major moves clearly show that he is just about the most ANTI-BPA general manager in the NFL.

He identifies our specific team needs , and then goes out and trades/signs a player to fill that SPECIFIC hole.

Odds are that we will draft a good pass rushing DL in round #1.[/QUOTE]

Pure BPA works better in the later rounds (i.e., 4th and down). Very few teams have the luxury of picking pure BPA in the first couple of rounds. I would say that if you're picking in the first round and the difference between the two BPA's on your boards is significant (and you're not stacked at the BPA position) you might go for the clearly better player. Teams are operating on far too brief a clock for success to stockpile players in the top rounds to be used (maybe) in the next couple of years when a spot opens up or as trade bait. Rounds 1 and 2 tend to be guys who can theoretically start tomorrow (with exception of QB, of course, and even that is changing). JMHO.

Green starter for the next 5 years???? Hopefully but you never know..You cant make any projections like..Leon in NY his whole career? No one knows.

All League
    Only way RB is the actual BPA is if it's CJ Spiller, and on the 0.1% chance he's available at 29, I take him in a heartbeat.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3529760]But, what if the Jets Draft Board dictates that the Best Player Available in the First round is a Running Back? Do they take him? Or do they trade out of the First Round to acquire a couple of extra picks?

1st Rounder- Helps out on Special Teams, maybe Kick Returner, [B]then[/B] Replaces Tomlinson in 2011
    Tony Richardson-FB

Watcha think?[/QUOTE]

Greene for the next 5 years?? He's already 25. He wasn't the spitting image of durability last year either..

Regardless, its virtually impossible for a RB (not named Spiller) to be the BPA at #29. too much talent elswhere, and frankly, the RB class this year is deep but few pop out at me as a franchise back

I got a feeling Jets are drafting Golden Tate or the CB from Rutgers who can also play specials..

BAP is fail.

Best Available Player at a Position of Current or Immediate-Future Need (BPAAAPOCOIFN!!)

I always prefer we go for the Ba-paaaaaap-O-Coif'in.

[QUOTE=Chupa;3529775]No, BDPA

Woody and Faneca are exactly spring chickens.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that. No way in hell should they take a RB in rounds 1 - 3. That goes for pretty much any year but especially after trading up for Greene last year. No way in hell.

[QUOTE=Chupa;3529775]No, BDPA

Woody and Faneca are exactly spring chickens.[/QUOTE]

the jets are going to have to start thinking about OL this year at some point... although i think it will be with the 4th round

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;3529815]Pure BPA works better in the later rounds (i.e., 4th and down). Very few teams have the luxury of picking pure BPA in the first couple of rounds. I would say that if you're picking in the first round and the difference between the two BPA's on your boards is significant (and you're not stacked at the BPA position) you might go for the clearly better player. Teams are operating on far too brief a clock for success to stockpile players in the top rounds to be used (maybe) in the next couple of years when a spot opens up or as trade bait. Rounds 1 and 2 tend to be guys who can theoretically start tomorrow (with exception of QB, of course, and even that is changing). JMHO.[/QUOTE]

i agree 100%... GM and coaches can get fired over night in the NFL after 1 horrible season... so at this point u start looking around the 3rd and 4th rounds for depth but ur drafting ur top 2 picks on guys who can play now

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3529862]BAP is fail.

Best Available Player at a Position of Current or Immediate-Future Need (BPAAAPOCOIFN!!)

I always prefer we go for the Ba-paaaaaap-O-Coif'in.[/QUOTE]

hahaha that's one way to put it.

I agree. Going with a RB in the 1st just doesn't make sense to me.

I think Jahvid Best is [I]almost[/I] as good as Spiller. If it weren't for the concussion, we might be talking about Best as the #1 back in this class. They're very similar, explosive RBs. But I woudn't take either one at 29.

Defense or OL or even WR with Braylon's future here uncertain. But not RB.

All League
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3529948]hahaha that's one way to put it.

I agree. Going with a RB in the 1st just doesn't make sense to me.

I think Jahvid Best is [I]almost[/I] as good as Spiller. If it weren't for the concussion, we might be talking about Best as the #1 back in this class. They're very similar, explosive RBs. But I woudn't take either one at 29.

Defense or OL or even WR with Braylon's future here uncertain. But not RB.[/QUOTE]

Just remember though, we're one Shonn Greene injury (God help me no) from LT being our #1 RB. yikes.

All Pro
    we are TRADING UP... for Eric Berry OR Earl Thomas

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3529960]Just remember though, we're one Shonn Greene injury (God help me no) from LT being our #1 RB. yikes.[/QUOTE]

We're just one injury from David Clowney/Marcus Henry/Aundrae Allison being our #2 WR. Just one injury away from Wayne Hunter starting at OL...

I get what you're saying. But good teams don't stock up on RBs and ignore every other position, even if that happens to be the BPA.

And for the Jets and their scheme, RBs can be found later. The OL is the star of the running game here, not the RBs.

If the Jets really want another RB for insurance, they can find one in the middle rounds. There are a few guys like Gerhart and Hardesty who I think would be good fits here, too.