Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don Banks has us taking...

BTW, where does this 4.4 time for Thomas come from? Himself or his agent?
    He didn't did it at the combine because he didn't participate. The combine is apples to apples. Same surface, same timing equipment - automatic. Some of these faster times are hand held equipment. Big difference in results.
    He didn't run at the combine or the GT pro day since he's walking around in a boot and on crutches after surgery on a broken foot. He won't be running before the draft. Risky?

why the jets would pass on so many other talented, healthy players to take a wr who doesn't run great routes is beyond me.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Pull up an analysis of this guy on walterfootball.com and see what they think of him. They are not the only ones. No way a first rounder. Ultra reach.
    If the Jets take anyone in round 1 it's Golden Tate and that would be stupid also. But makes more sense.
    walter's football?? give me a break....

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    walter's football?? give me a break....

That's just one. Here's the deal.
    THOMAS is no big deal. He's hurt and undiscipled from a team that doesn't throw. He has a PHONY time. Learn to run routes? Really? Guys that know HOW to run routes struggle coming out.

ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD PICK HIM IN THE FIRST.

We're you one that wanted DHB last year? Wow, look at the speed. Certainly. How'd old DHB work out?

Give you a break? One draft board is as good as another. I said one of many who thinks the guy is nowhere near first round. You want to draft damaged goods? Without knowing if he's healthy? That's bright.
    Further, a WR in the first? To do what? Come in on third and 12 to run the slot? NO!
    DE, OLB.
    Or is fantasy football what you want. The real deal is different.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    why the jets would pass on so many other talented, healthy players to take a wr who doesn't run great routes is beyond me.
    +1

Especially at 29...and I was touting Thomas long before a whole lot of other posters.

He's a very good prospect, but in the 2nd round range....That's not a knock, though some might see it as one.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

That's just one. Here's the deal.
    THOMAS is no big deal. He's hurt and undiscipled from a team that doesn't throw. He has a PHONY time. Learn to run routes? Really? Guys that know HOW to run routes struggle coming out.

ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD PICK HIM IN THE FIRST.

We're you one that wanted DHB last year? Wow, look at the speed. Certainly. How'd old DHB work out?

Give you a break? One draft board is as good as another. I said one of many who thinks the guy is nowhere near first round. You want to draft damaged goods? Without knowing if he's healthy? That's bright.
    Further, a WR in the first? To do what? Come in on third and 12 to run the slot? NO!
    DE, OLB.
    Or is fantasy football what you want. The real deal is different.
    LMAO...yeh- he's no big deal- that's why any draft analyst with any credility understands this guy is top 25 material...notice I leave waltersfootball out of the mix....purposely...

let's forget about the fact the guy is a dominant, game controling receiver who has basically been GT's only option in the passing game three years and projects as a number one receiver at the next level....

I mean who would want a player like that???

LMAO...yeh- he's no big deal- that's why any draft analyst with any credility understands this guy is top 25 material...notice I leave waltersfootball out of the mix....purposely...

let's forget about the fact the guy is a dominant, game controling receiver who has basically been GT's only option in the passing game three years and projects as a number one receiver at the next level....

So here is this legendary WR - a potential Jerry Rice, a truly great prospect. Orange Bowl. Shut down. ZERO catches - ZERO YARDS. That is what is generally referred to as a choker.
    When it's on the line, he fails. No just a little but totally. That is lack of something. Maybe lack of character.
    Compare him to Shipley who, while of lesser talent, produced under pressure and broke his butt.

Thomas may lack heart and character. A Gholston at WR. This year's DHB?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

So here is this legendary WR - a potential Jerry Rice, a truly great prospect. Orange Bowl. Shut down. ZERO catches - ZERO YARDS. That is what is generally referred to as a choker.
    When it's on the line, he fails. No just a little but totally. That is lack of something. Maybe lack of character.
    Compare him to Shipley who, while of lesser talent, produced under pressure and broke his butt.

dude- what the fuq are you talking about??? you're calling him a failure based on one game???

he's a big dominant receiver that was the only option for GT in a conference that consistently puts talented DB's into the NFL (Va Tech, FSU, Clemson, UNC)...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I can appreciate the fact that you may not like Thomas but you got to come back with more than the fact he "choked" in a game here or there, the allegation he lacks heart (which can be easily dismissed just by watching how this guy goes up and competes for the ball in crowds nevermind his downfield blocking which is sensational) or something that was written on a reactionary homemade website...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 03-18-2010 at 01:56 PM.

im not sure the Jets go WR in round1... but if they do...

in the last couple days Arrelius Benn has really started to appeal to me

had 20 reps of 225 at the combine, i think tops for Wr

ran a 4.4 at Illinois pro day yesterday and other good workout numbers (i think over 37 inches vertical)

unlike Bryant or Thomas has been able to work out this draft off season. Isn't injury prone...

is a big 10 guy, the Jets seem to gravitate toward the big 10 for whatever reason.

has been a big time prospect basically since he arrived on campus... regus benn.... my first round wr binkie of the week...

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    Demaryius Thomas

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...t.3/index.html

and you know what? I like it a lot...
    who cares who Don Banks has us taking? who cares who ANYBODY has us taking??

the only people who we should care about having us taking are Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan, ON DRAFT DAY. anything else is just wild speculation, wild speculation from "analysts" which in turn brings about wild speculation from fans. NOBODY KNOWS WHO THE JETS ARE GOING TO DRAFT, hell, the Jets don't even know who the Jets are going to draft, especially considering there's 28 teams in front of them.

what i really want to know is, what newborn baby Mel Kiper thinks has all the tools to go number one overall in the 2032 NFL draft. that's what i really want to know.

Pat Kirwan updated his mock draft today and has Demaryius Thomas going to Seattle at 14 and Dez Bryant going to the Jets at 29. He says Thomas will shoot up draft boards once he gets healthy.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    Pat Kirwan updated his mock draft today and has Demaryius Thomas going to Seattle at 14 and Dez Bryant going to the Jets at 29. He says Thomas will shoot up draft boards once he gets healthy.
    I don't see Thomas going before Bryant, and I don't think he'll be full strength before the draft. Bryant is just too good to drop that far -- unless he finally runs and it's a 4.62. Anything sub 4.55 and he's going top 15.

The only reason Thomas hasn't already shot up the draft boards is because of the injury. He would've destroyed the combine.

He's got top 10 ability, just needs some polish. He wasn't going to get better by staying another season at GT, so getting him at 29 would really classify as buying low IMO for a player that could become Andre Johnson or TO in two years.

What don't YOU understand about him being a choker.
    Bowl game. Iowa. He looks like a bum. That's not a character issue?
    Really?
    All the talent (which is still a question) does not compensate for lazy or disinterested.
    And where is your proof that he runs the time that is said. He did not run anywhere. Is it made up?

And your rationale for taking him in the first? Please enlighten me and others. The Jets have 2 outstanding WRs. What is the third (a first rounder) for? Is this to be AIR SCHOTTY? We all saw how that worked out last year. The Jets are #1 in rushing. BUT YOU , O EXALTED ONE, want to change that to "Bombs Away" ala Bress, Manning, Brady and Favre. The Jets may throw more this year, but they will not be a wide open - unleash Sanchez " team. If so forget 12-4. 9-7 repeat.

All Pro
    What don't YOU understand about him being a choker.
    Bowl game. Iowa. He looks like a bum. That's not a character issue?
    Really?
    All the talent (which is still a question) does not compensate for lazy or disinterested.
    And where is your proof that he runs the time that is said. He did not run anywhere. Is it made up?

And your rationale for taking him in the first? Please enlighten me and others. The Jets have 2 outstanding WRs. What is the third (a first rounder) for? Is this to be AIR SCHOTTY? We all saw how that worked out last year. The Jets are #1 in rushing. BUT YOU , O EXALTED ONE, want to change that to "Bombs Away" ala Bress, Manning, Brady and Favre. The Jets may throw more this year, but they will not be a wide open - unleash Sanchez " team. If so forget 12-4. 9-7 repeat.
    I really don't get why you're so angry about all of this.

It's pretty simple. Many people are projecting him as a top tier #1 target. His work ethic has never come into question as far as I've read. He was shut down in the Bowl Game. It happens, especially when he's the ONLY PASSING OPTION on the ENTIRE TEAM that runs a triple option offense. Please explain how getting shut out in a game is a character concern?

Maybe he isn't exactly what the Jets need right now. But Braylon's future here is far from certain. And the Jets are going to move more towards a balanced offense as Sanchez shows progress as a passer. Players like Thomas can make MC's job much easier because he can go up and get the ball. And drafting is more about a year or two down the road than it is about right this second than you seem to think.

I guess the Jets should just load up on the Andre Roberts and Shipleys of the world instead.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 03-19-2010 at 10:15 AM.

All Pro
    gentlemen, gentlemen. Unless Bryant slips to 29 (not going to happen) or Benn or Tate slip to 61 (not going to happen), then we're taking Alexander in the 4th, or Brown in the 5th... Its just that simple.

The real question is which two key defensive players do you want with our two first picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    gentlemen, gentlemen. Unless Bryant slips to 29 (not going to happen) or Benn or Tate slip to 61 (not going to happen), then we're taking Alexander in the 4th, or Brown in the 5th... Its just that simple.

The real question is which two key defensive players do you want with our two first picks.
    Alexander may not get drafted...if he does it won't be before the 6th round....

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I really don't get why you're so angry about all of this.

It's pretty simple. Many people are projecting him as a top tier #1 target. His work ethic has never come into question as far as I've read. He was shut down in the Bowl Game. It happens, especially when he's the ONLY PASSING OPTION on the ENTIRE TEAM that runs a triple option offense. Please explain how getting shut out in a game is a character concern?

Maybe he isn't exactly what the Jets need right now. But Braylon's future here is far from certain. And the Jets are going to move more towards a balanced offense as Sanchez shows progress as a passer. Players like Thomas can make MC's job much easier because he can go up and get the ball. And drafting is more about a year or two down the road than it is about right this second than you seem to think.

I guess the Jets should just load up on the Andre Roberts and Shipleys of the world instead.

Hey, that's what lots of people do here. They get pissed off at the Jets and each other. 42 years gets people passionate. As long as we don't OVER insult each other or use "language".

Nobody's future with the Jets is certain. Sanchez could get another knee. I am just striking the idea of balance and observing what other successful teams have done. The Jets have two very good starting WRs. I'm glad you've read other points I have posted because yes, I believe a guy like Shipley or Roberts is the way the Jets need to go. They satisfy (hopefully) a need now. A big time #1 does not. Future need which may never occur. Edwards may be here for years. If not, get next years stud.
    How many teams have two receivers like the Jets and draft another in round one?
    I like a DE. Someone may like a OLB. I can't kill him on that. I think the Jets are fine now at S. CB? Revis is probably the best in the NFL. And now Herm says Cromartie is the best athlete plus Rex loves him. I think CB at 29 is wastefull even though there are good ones who will be there. Things may change in the next 4 weeks. The Jets may get a great cut OLB. If they then do WR at 29, it at least does not detract from a more pressing need because a DE can be had at 61. IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    im not sure the Jets go WR in round1... but if they do...

in the last couple days Arrelius Benn has really started to appeal to me

had 20 reps of 225 at the combine, i think tops for Wr

ran a 4.4 at Illinois pro day yesterday and other good workout numbers (i think over 37 inches vertical)

unlike Bryant or Thomas has been able to work out this draft off season. Isn't injury prone...

is a big 10 guy, the Jets seem to gravitate toward the big 10 for whatever reason.

has been a big time prospect basically since he arrived on campus... regus benn.... my first round wr binkie of the week...
    The worst decision Benn ever made was going to Illinois. Juice Williams is a first class dong eater and that offense was aenemic. They would do the wackiest **** to finagle the ball into Benn's hands, but the trouble was that this usually involved Williams throwing it.

Benn has big time value as far as I'm concerned. He should be around for our spot, I think.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Paranoid Jet View Post
    The worst decision Benn ever made was going to Illinois. Juice Williams is a first class dong eater and that offense was aenemic. They would do the wackiest **** to finagle the ball into Benn's hands, but the trouble was that this usually involved Williams throwing it.

Benn has big time value as far as I'm concerned. He should be around for our spot, I think.
    I don't see how he has any sort of big time value.

He did next to nothing in 3 years of college. Williams is garbage, but he's not the whole reason why Benn averages about 2 TDs a season. He never scored more than 3 receiving TDs in a season.

It's not like he didn't have any opportunity. He caught plenty of passes (so Juice must've made a good throw from time to time) and didn't show any ability with the ball in his hands. How, all of the sudden, will this kid become a playmaker in the NFL if he couldn't in college?