Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don Banks has us taking...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm not opposed to the jets taking a wr, but not in round 1. there's just too much defensive talent in this draft and the jets have a rare opportunity to draft an impact player at 29. there will be wrs available in the later rounds. the jets can get a top cb or pass rusher in round 1, and the ability to draft ellis' eventual replacement is just too huge to ignore.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think many of the bust wrs are guys who have the measurables but can't get open. route running is so underrated when evaluating wrs. that's why a guy like damien williams is valuable, the guy is already considered a great route runner with great hands. what else do wrs do? most routes are not 'go' routes. you win with wrs like cotch who can hold onto the ball with a defender on him.
    the jets probably will not take a wr in round 1 for this reason. their pressing needs are not on offense, and they can find an adequate slot guy in a later round.
    Why the jets would pass on so many other talented, healthy players to take a wr who doesn't run great routes is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    What don't YOU understand about him being a choker.
    Bowl game. Iowa. He looks like a bum. That's not a character issue?
    Really?
    All the talent (which is still a question) does not compensate for lazy or disinterested.
    And where is your proof that he runs the time that is said. He did not run anywhere. Is it made up?

And your rationale for taking him in the first? Please enlighten me and others. The Jets have 2 outstanding WRs. What is the third (a first rounder) for? Is this to be AIR SCHOTTY? We all saw how that worked out last year. The Jets are #1 in rushing. BUT YOU , O EXALTED ONE, want to change that to "Bombs Away" ala Bress, Manning, Brady and Favre. The Jets may throw more this year, but they will not be a wide open - unleash Sanchez " team. If so forget 12-4. 9-7 repeat.
    i'm not opposed to the jets taking a wr, but not in round 1. there's just too much defensive talent in this draft and the jets have a rare opportunity to draft an impact player at 29. there will be wrs available in the later rounds. the jets can get a top cb or pass rusher in round 1, and the ability to draft ellis' eventual replacement is just too huge to ignore.
    Guys, we're sharing a brain here. Got to load up on D, at least early in the draft. Can get a wr in the middle rds.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope he falls to rd 2 but If we take him rd 1 I would be ok. Then in three wr sets jco can move to the slot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really hate to beat a dead horse, but if we are so desperate for WR and HAVE to go WR in the first, wouldn't it be better to just go get Marshall. Its obvious the character issues are not something that is going to scare Rex, and the guy has more catches in the last three years than any WR in this draft will catch in the next 6 years.

The only WR that I think will make an impact over the next two seasons is Tate. The rest are projects that have higher bust potential that most of the other positions in the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Benn's not aggressive enough for me to want to draft him in the first. He'd be the Gholston of the offense.

I really hate to beat a dead horse, but if we are so desperate for WR and HAVE to go WR in the first, wouldn't it be better to just go get Marshall. Its obvious the character issues are not something that is going to scare Rex, and the guy has more catches in the last three years than any WR in this draft will catch in the next 6 years.

The only WR that I think will make an impact over the next two seasons is Tate. The rest are projects that have higher bust potential that most of the other positions in the draft.
    Please, may I put money on Bryant outplaying Tate over these next two years?

Also, I'd be down for Brandon Marshall if we were going to go WR in the first but not get Bryant.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Benn's not aggressive enough for me to want to draft him in the first. He'd be the Gholston of the offense.

Please, may I put money on Bryant outplaying Tate over these next two years?

Also, I'd be down for Brandon Marshall if we were going to go WR in the first but not get Bryant.
    Its debatable. Bryant hasn't even played football in a while. At least Tate will be an immediate plus in the return game, wildcat, and as a slot WR. If Bryant is going to go as high as most seem to think, he is going to be the #1 receiver and lined up with the opponents top cover guy. Not a guarantee that he is going to shine, specifically if his QB is average.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    And your rationale for taking him in the first? Please enlighten me and others. The Jets have 2 outstanding WRs. What is the third (a first rounder) for? Is this to be AIR SCHOTTY? We all saw how that worked out last year. The Jets are #1 in rushing. BUT YOU , O EXALTED ONE, want to change that to "Bombs Away" ala Bress, Manning, Brady and Favre. The Jets may throw more this year, but they will not be a wide open - unleash Sanchez " team. If so forget 12-4. 9-7 repeat.
    "Bombs Away" QBs you mentioned:

Brees: 1 ring
    Manning: 1 ring
    Brady: 3 rings
    Favre: 1 ring

The best way for the Jets to get better and be a year in year out SB contender is for Sanchez to develop into the above average to elite QB level he is fully capable of. As good as the running game is, we need to be a more balanced offense. Sanchez needs to be able to put the game on his shoulders if he needs to. Now I do not necessarily think that using a 1st rounder is smart this year (mid-round potential slot WR seems more fitting), I just had to point out the silliness of that Schotty-bashing argument.

Kinda hazy and this is my first post, hope I didn't mess it up

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Its debatable. Bryant hasn't even played football in a while. At least Tate will be an immediate plus in the return game, wildcat, and as a slot WR. If Bryant is going to go as high as most seem to think, he is going to be the #1 receiver and lined up with the opponents top cover guy. Not a guarantee that he is going to shine, specifically if his QB is average.
    When he did play his 3 games this year he 17/323/4. The reason everyone's so high on him is because he's the kind of WR that beats and commands teams #1s.

If Tate is a lock to shine, then his lock is a regular old Masterlock while Bryant's is sealed with gold.

Bryant > High end prospect with elite upside
    Tate > Good prospect with upside, but not as much polish, size, and power/speed