Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andrews released by Eagles

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Andrews released by Eagles

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5003245[/url]

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles have released former All-Pro right guard Shawn Andrews.

The former first-round pick has played in just two games in the past two years because of back injuries. He missed the 2008 training camp because of depression.

The Eagles announced the move on Wednesday.

"We appreciate the efforts and contributions of Shawn while he was in Philadelphia," Eagles coach Andy Reid said in a statement. "We have, however, decided to move in another direction."

Andrews, the 16th overall selection in the 2004 NFL draft, was moved to right tackle last summer to replace longtime starter Jon Runyan. However, he never played a down.

Andrews made the Pro Bowl in 2006 and '07 and had a contract that ran through 2015.

Runyan retired from the NFL earlier this year to run for a House seat as a Republican in a historically Republican district in New Jersey. His campaign formally begins Thursday.

Holy sh*t signt his beast, please. Please, please, please, please...

Don't take that too seriously, I've been a big Andrews fan for too long. But let me give you my reasoning: Rex has the Midas Touch and can change anything.

Or sign his brother when they release him...

Jets Insider VIP
    I'd sign Andrews in a heartbeat.

Awesome depth and could easily regain his pro-bowl form in a year or two when we part ways with Faneca.

This guy has serious emotional/psychiatric issues and has come up with multiple reasons to avoid the field. He has huge red flags and the risk of his not playing is huge. He could only be signed to a minimum salary 1-year deal IMO.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Dynamic Hip Screw;3529884]This guy has serious emotional/psychiatric issues and has come up with multiple reasons to avoid the field. He has huge red flags and the risk of his not playing is huge. He could only be signed to a minimum salary 1-year deal IMO.[/QUOTE]

I'm a discount buyer as well

[QUOTE=Dynamic Hip Screw;3529884]This guy has serious emotional/psychiatric issues and has come up with multiple reasons to avoid the field. He has huge red flags and the risk of his not playing is huge. He could only be signed to a minimum salary 1-year deal IMO.[/QUOTE]

Your right.

Plus he has a bad back.

why the hell not?

we wouldn't need him to start or even play a big role, but he would tremendously improve the quality of our OL depth. we've been tremendously lucky to have our 5 guys up front healthy for 2 consecutive seasons, but we can't count on that happening again.

would be a low risk move, with a potential for HUGE upside. DO IT DO IT :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3529878]I'd sign Andrews in a heartbeat.

Awesome depth and could easily regain his pro-bowl form in a year or two when we part ways with Faneca.[/QUOTE]

How many players with back injuries and his psychological issues do you estimate have come back to start after missing that many games over the course of 2 seasons.

Now lets up it an see how many have come back to play at a pro bowl level? :rolleyes:

shawn andrews is a bigger twitter freak than KR

the dude is a mess... pass

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;3529914]shawn andrews is a bigger twitter freak than KR

the dude is a mess... pass[/QUOTE]

Anyone not already on the team "pass". Anyone on the team that sucks ass will eventually reach their "potential".

All Pro
    just sign him, its not like we are going to sign him to start in september

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=LockeJET;3529917]Anyone not already on the team "pass". Anyone on the team that sucks ass will eventually reach their "potential".[/QUOTE]

Actually, around here, it's any POS that's been released by another team is a "BEAST" with HUGE upside that should be signed.

IMMEDIATELY!

All Pro
    on his twitter page.. he doesnt look 330 pounds anymore

All Pro
    Just do it, Mike. Do it.

Rex and Callahan will revive this kid's career with the Ground and Pound. He was out of place in Philly with their 65% passing offense. He'll take Woody's spot in 2011.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;3529949]Actually, around here, it's any POS that's been released by another team is a "BEAST" with HUGE upside that should be signed.

IMMEDIATELY![/QUOTE]

Not by Bit.

I'd be highly concerned about whats going on in his head, he's reportedly had some huge issues with depression among other things. I mean, do your homework and if things check out, perhaps a low-cost deal could make some sense, but I wouldn't count on it. My guess is this is the last we'll hear from him.

[QUOTE=LockeJET;3529954]Not by Bit.[/QUOTE]

believe it or not there are many football players i hope one day play for the Jets. Shawn Andrews is not among them.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3530005][B]I'd be highly concerned about whats going on in his head, he's reportedly had some huge issues with depression among other things.[/B] I mean, do your homework and if things check out, perhaps a low-cost deal could make some sense, but I wouldn't count on it. My guess is this is the last we'll hear from him.[/QUOTE]

of course he has problems; a player like Andrews wouldn't be released otherwise. he had a huge contract with the Eagles, who rightfully took advantage of the uncapped year to cut ties with a guy who's been more trouble than he's worth the past two years.

that being said, if you can get him for a minimal price, is he worth the risk? he's still only 28, with the ability to play at either guard spot and RT, great size and power... i'd take a flier on him to add depth and talent to our OL.

obviously you wouldn't count on him to be more than a backup at this point, but if he gets his life/career back on track, he can be extremely valuable. if he's willing to put in the work, i'd definitely sign him. you can always let him go during training camp/preseason if it's not working out.

Andrews would be a good depth signing. Our starting O-Line is terrific but we have virtually no depth at all.

All Pro
    Pass.

There is a reason he was released by the Eagles. We have no need for a player with mental issues who has barely played in two years and has a bad back to boot.

People like to say our OL depth is not good, but I disagree. Hunter, Turner, and Slauson are all young and versatile players who can fill in anywhere on the line. Hunter was basically our 6th OL last year and played a significant number of snaps. Turner and Slauson both played well when they were needed. All of them are young and have a good grasp of our system.

Anyone who says we don't have OL depth hasn't reevaluated the situation since 2006.