Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade scenario: 1.29 + Leon for 1.17

Trade scenario: 1.29 + Leon for 1.17

So I woke up this morning and it hit me. The Jets love to trade up for the players they covet in the draft. The LT signing could put Leon Washington's future with the team in jeopardy.

The Jets and Leon's agent have not been able to work together on a deal and Leon is coming off a bad injury. The 49ers have already sniffed around Leon and this gives them until late April to see where he is at in his recovery. The draft day trade is:

New York Jets 1.29 + Leon Washington for San Fran's 1.17.

With the 17th pick of the 2010 NFL draft the New York Jets select: Earl Thomas, FS (Texas).

This gives San Fran and Frank Gore a complimentary speed back while still retaining two first round picks. It gives the Jets a play making starter at Safety which will prove to be an upgrade to Kerry Rhodes thus an upgrade to the entire secondary.

Thoughts?

I don't understand why people think the LT signing is making Leon expendable?

Please explain why?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Jets carry Jones, Greene and Leon last year?

All League
    just shoot me if they trade up for a safety.

All League
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3529885]I don't understand why people think the LT signing is making Leon expendable?

Please explain why?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Jets carry Jones, Greene and Leon last year?[/QUOTE]

I agree. Leon's a keeper.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3529885]I don't understand why people think the LT signing is making Leon expendable?

Please explain why?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Jets carry Jones, Greene and Leon last year?[/QUOTE]

His broken leg has got people thinking that he won't be the same. On that, the Jury is still out.

He was pushed by fate into the "expendable" column.

The Jets drafting a RB is a very real and actually very probable situation. They will need someone to take over for LT and its quite possible Chauncey Washington will not be able to do that for whatever reason. IF Chauncey works out completely, it will be a mild surprise.

Therefore, the scenario is 1. Greene 2. LT 3. A guy with a broken leg who's major strength used to be his speed and shiftiness 4. A project who has a high ceiling but has had other issues.

Numbers 3 and 4 are expendable by the very fact that they are question marks. Since number 4 is Tannenbaum/Schotty's pet project, #3 is expendable.

Couple that with the Jets tried to sign LW for a fair amount of money and he refused, so much so that he and the Jets could not compromise. He has an ass for an agent. There are a TON of very good RBs in this draft. If LW didn't break his leg, this wouldn't even be a discussion - he'd be locked up already.

Please explain why?

They have some value with Leon right now. It is uncertain how Leon plays coming off that injury. Giving Leon a second round tender generates some interest in him. He gives the Jets the ammunition to move up in the draft without sacrificing draft picks.

The Jets were fine without Leon the last half of last year. Greene, Tomlinson, Chauncey and possibly a draft pick can get the job done. Leon's agent has already shown that he wants more money than the Jets are prepared to give him.

Just to clarify, this is a scenario I can see playing out. Not a scenario that I myself would love. But the 49ers have already shown interest in Leon and they have two mid first round picks. Just sayin'.

[QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3529887]just shoot me if they trade up for a safety.[/QUOTE]

Mike Mayock has Earl Thomas rated higher than Eric Berry. Thomas is a play maker. Just look at his numbers from the past two years. Our starting two corners could be sick good this year and adding a big time guy like Thomas could make our secondary great. He can ball hawk back there.

I was going to mention possibly drafting Brandon Graham with that pick but I think taking Jerry Hughes at 29 is the better option there. However after Earl Thomas we are talking about second round prospects at the Safety position.

[QUOTE=jetsfaneh;3529907][B]They have some value with Leon right now. It is uncertain how Leon plays coming off that injury.[/B] Giving Leon a second round tender generates some interest in him. He gives the Jets the ammunition to move up in the draft without sacrificing draft picks.

The Jets were fine without Leon the last half of last year. Greene, Tomlinson, Chauncey and possibly a draft pick can get the job done. Leon's agent has already shown that he wants more money than the Jets are prepared to give him.

Just to clarify, this is a scenario I can see playing out. Not a scenario that I myself would love. But the 49ers have already shown interest in Leon and they have two mid first round picks. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that a contradiction?

If the Jets are uncertain how Leon plays coming off an injury why would another team want him and have to give something up to get him?

As for the 49ers showing interest. I don't think that is correct. It was reported that Leon and/or Leon's agent called the 49ers OC Jimmy Raye, who used to be Leon's RB coach with the Jets. It was reported that no 49er official contacted Leon or his agent.

All this said. I'm still guessing IF any team is interested in Leon it won't start to take place until early next month to allow him to recuperate further. The last date a team may sign a RFA to an offer sheet is April 15th.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetsfaneh;3529912]Mike Mayock has Earl Thomas rated higher than Eric Berry. Thomas is a play maker. Just look at his numbers from the past two years. Our starting two corners could be sick good this year and adding a big time guy like Thomas could make our secondary great. He can ball hawk back there.

I was going to mention possibly drafting Brandon Graham with that pick but I think taking Jerry Hughes at 29 is the better option there. However after Earl Thomas we are talking about second round prospects at the Safety position.[/QUOTE]

I know what you're saying about his potential, but I'm always skeptical about a Safety's jump to the NFL... It's risky. And, looking at the Jets last year, they were a really good Defensive team with KR as their Starting FS, and he was horrible IMO. So, while I can appreciate your thoughts, I just think there are so many more important positions to improve upon. WR, OLB, DE, and maybe even a RB.

just for argument's sake...

going by the draft value chart, pick #17 is worth 950 and #29 is worth 640.

950 - 640 = 310, which is the equivalent of a late 2nd rounder (#59 to be exact).

this trade could be a good compromise for both teams, since the Jets would be getting 2nd-round value for Leon, while the 49ers would be trading at lower value than their current pick in the 2nd round (they own #49).

it's a nice idea, i'd be totally open to doing that depending on who's there at #17 :yes:

All Pro
    If Mike T. and Rex identify Earl Thomas as THEIR GUY and trade up for him, I'll be pretty f'in pumped about it. Not because he's my favorite guy or anything... but because that means they believe he's worth it.

The scouts and Tanny have been great at figuring out who they want, where they're expected to go and they get it done. They've also been close to perfect with making those calls.

PS... Dirtstar, that's a great point you make about the trade up value that Leon could provide. Getting into the late teens/early 20s may only cost us Leon, and I can't complain about that.

THe great thing about the JETS off season moves is that they dont have to do anything...pool if healthy is a good safety and smith is more than a capable backup. IMO, if the jets were to do this trade, they must really love this player and draft a shifty type RB in the mid rounds ie mccluster type

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

heard two important tidbits of distressing info yesterday....

1) if a team gave leon washington a physical today he would fail...

2) the Jets have shown no/zilch/nada interest in dexter mccluster to this point...

All Pro
    whats distressing about not being interested in dexter. the guy'll be pounded into dust against NFL defenses. ANd even if you don't believe that, he's upside is still pretty situational.

[QUOTE=Paradis;3530000]whats distressing about not being interested in dexter. the guy'll be pounded into dust against NFL defenses. ANd even if you don't believe that, he's upside is still pretty situational.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I figured Leon might not pass a physical until late April. And McCluster is a situational guy that certain teams will like and others will not. I think the Jets can get a slot guy with return ability that has a little more size to him than Dexter.

We're NOT trading Leon. Enough already.

LT replaced TJ, not Leon.

the whole "leon has trade value" line of thinking pretty much ignores the gruesome way his season ended last year.

he's not 2008 leon anymore... and he might never be that again. If he does get back there, it might take him considerably more than a year to do it. It was a brutal injury... and as much as I love Leon we have to be realistic.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3530019]We're NOT trading Leon. Enough already.

LT replaced TJ, not Leon.[/QUOTE]

+1

Leon leaves only if another team signs him to a big offer sheet.

No team has done that thus far and I don't see a team doing it either.

Mike Bell and Pierre Thomas are ahead of Leon on the RFA list (Sproles is out of the question with his high tender).

Bell got his offer sheet and the Saints likely won't match. That leaves Thomas as the next domino to fall. After Thomas signs elsewhere or signs his offer sheet to stay with the Saints, then we might hear stuff about Leon.

But by then the RFA period might be over. We are less then a month away till it ends (April 15?)

more like leon, 29, and our 4th to the browns for #7, Erik Berry

Hall Of Fame
    to say leon is not going to be moved is a tad bit wishful thinking. There's a reason the jets only tendered him with a #2. If the right deal comes along the Jets will move him. believe it.