Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade scenario: 1.29 + Leon for 1.17

[QUOTE=bitonti;3530025]the whole "leon has trade value" line of thinking pretty much ignores the gruesome way his season ended last year.

he's not 2008 leon anymore... and he might never be that again. If he does get back there, it might take him considerably more than a year to do it. It was a brutal injury... and as much as I love Leon we have to be realistic.[/QUOTE]

just cause his injury was gross (and it was), i think you're overestimating how debilitating it will be going forward. not nearly as bad as a knee/ankle injury

Jets Insider VIP
    Leon is not going anywhere. He will be fine. I look forward to seeing him play this year. I missed the little guy last year.

[QUOTE=ombudsmn;3530047]just cause his injury was gross (and it was), i think you're overestimating how debilitating it will be going forward. not nearly as bad as a knee/ankle injury[/QUOTE]

im not a doctor but my understanding is that it was a double open compound fracture. the double part refers to Tib and fib break... that part is rare... the tibia breaks... but the fibula doesn't usually break... it's a really hard bone... and it takes time to heal.

I looked it up a while back... and the only other NFL player I could find recovering from a Fibula break was Michael Bush... and he had multiple surgeries and his entire rookie year on the IR to get back to speed. It was a 2 year injury.

Ive not found any other NFL player to recover from a fibula break. I could be (and hope that) I am wrong.

The Jets have the edge in this situation and they are not pressed to make any moves. If someone wants to sign Leon it will cost them a 2nd (and if the Jets feel the offer is fair they also have the right to match it). If Leon isn't back next season it is because the Jets decide to let him leave.

He is coming off of major injury/surgery and I just don't think any club is going to be willing to sign him to any type of significant deal. At the end of the day I think Leon will end up signing the tender the Jets extended to him and try to have a big season next year.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3529885]I don't understand why people think the LT signing is making Leon expendable?

Please explain why?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Jets carry Jones, Greene and Leon last year?[/QUOTE]

No they carried Greene and Jones, Leon was injured almost all year. Also LT is a 3rd down back much like Leon. Leon will be returning kicks and riding pine this year. As injury insurance for Greene I believe the jets would rather have a bigger back than a smaller one.

[QUOTE=jetsfaneh;3529876]So I woke up this morning and it hit me. The Jets love to trade up for the players they covet in the draft. The LT signing could put Leon Washington's future with the team in jeopardy.

The Jets and Leon's agent have not been able to work together on a deal and Leon is coming off a bad injury. The 49ers have already sniffed around Leon and this gives them until late April to see where he is at in his recovery. The draft day trade is:

New York Jets 1.29 + Leon Washington for San Fran's 1.17.

With the 17th pick of the 2010 NFL draft the New York Jets select: Earl Thomas, FS (Texas).

This gives San Fran and Frank Gore a complimentary speed back while still retaining two first round picks. It gives the Jets a play making starter at Safety which will prove to be an upgrade to Kerry Rhodes thus an upgrade to the entire secondary.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Teams will call RFAs in just to get a feel for them when the are FA the next year it is just laying ground work. you can even talk contract for next year.
    For the 49rs to give up a 2nd to get him he will have to come down from his contract demands. The pats gave up a 2nd for Welker but the contract was for 5 years and 16 mill.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3530062]im not a doctor but my understanding is that it was a double open compound fracture. the double part refers to Tib and fib break... that part is rare... the tibia breaks... but the fibula doesn't usually break... it's a really hard bone... and it takes time to heal.

I looked it up a while back... and the only other NFL player I could find recovering from a Fibula break was Michael Bush... and he had multiple surgeries and his entire rookie year on the IR to get back to speed. It was a 2 year injury.

Ive not found any other NFL player to recover from a fibula break. I could be (and hope that) I am wrong.[/QUOTE]

i think you have it the other way -- the tibia is the main bone in the lower leg and takes a lot of force to break it.

but in general it's a pretty bad injury, and nobody knows for sure how soon Leon will be back and how effective he'll be.

i think that if a team offers reasonable value in return, the Jets will trade him. if not, they'll be glad to keep him around and let him heal at his own pace now that we have LT.

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3530044]to say leon is not going to be moved is a tad bit wishful thinking. There's a reason the jets only tendered him with a #2. If the right deal comes along the Jets will move him. believe it.[/QUOTE]

They tendered him for a 2 because he's coming off a compound fracture of his leg and they knew nobody would bite, even at that price. Nevermind, I'm sure the Jets would take a 2 if offered for a to-be 28 year old runningback who is again, coming off a serious leg injury.

This whole idea that the Jets are shopping Leon is frankly, ridiculous. As CBNY pointed out, he wouldn't even be able to pass a physical prior to the draft, and nobody is going to part with a high draft pick (And a big money contract) for someone who can't pass a physical right now.

All this Leon talk is nothing more then hype put out by his Agent, IMO. There were 2 teams linked to him, the 49ers refuted the story about them, and the Patriots ended up re-signing Kevin Faulk, who is the same style of runningback. Take those two teams out and the market for Leon, is who exactly?

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3530202]They tendered him for a 2 because he's coming off a compound fracture of his leg and they knew nobody would bite, even at that price. Nevermind, I'm sure the Jets would take a 2 if offered for a to-be 28 year old runningback who is again, coming off a serious leg injury.

This whole idea that the Jets are shopping Leon is frankly, ridiculous. As CBNY pointed out, he wouldn't even be able to pass a physical prior to the draft, and nobody is going to part with a high draft pick (And a big money contract) for someone who can't pass a physical right now.

All this Leon talk is nothing more then hype put out by his Agent, IMO. There were 2 teams linked to him, the 49ers refuted the story about them, and the Patriots ended up re-signing Kevin Faulk, who is the same style of runningback. Take those two teams out and the market for Leon, is who exactly?[/QUOTE]

Good post.

At this point, I think we just need to pray Leon gets healthy for the season. I was hoping we could ship him off for a 4th or so come draft day but that's not going to happen if he can't pass a physical.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Paradis;3530000]whats distressing about not being interested in dexter. the guy'll be pounded into dust against NFL defenses. ANd even if you don't believe that, he's upside is still pretty situational.[/QUOTE]

funny- the same comments were made about a guy named leon washington not to long ago...

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3530213]funny- the same comments were made about a guy named leon washington not to long ago...[/QUOTE]

Seriously, and McCluster actually produced against the best competition in college football whereas Washington I remember being known as an underachiever.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3530214]Seriously, and McCluster actually produced against the best competition in college football whereas Washington I remember being known as an underachiever.[/QUOTE]

i don't know that its' fair to say he underachieved....that was really the start of that whole FSU program going in the sh!tter.....seems they've had a lot of players since that have not met expectations....more institutional than any one guy....

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3530217]i don't know that its' fair to say he underachieved....that was really the start of that whole FSU program going in the sh!tter.....seems they've had a lot of players since that have not met expectations....more institutional than any one guy....[/QUOTE]

That's a fair assessment also.

IIRC, he was a 5 star...very heavily recruited. Some of the cream rose to the top out of FSU over the time frame we're discussing...Washington wasn't really one of them(in terms of production/draft status...obviously he did in the NFL).

Whether fair or not, the rep was out there. Jets didn't buy it.

In fact, I remember articles about Jets scouts falling in love with his character/upbringing as much as his talent and they graded him out as a 2nd round back...great scouting there.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3530019][B]We're NOT trading Leon. Enough already.[/B]

LT replaced TJ, not Leon.[/QUOTE]

In fairness, I must have read this exact line about Kerry Rhodes about a million times the last month or two.

I dont agree with on the Leon Tender. If the Jets can get a two for Leon, they are taking it and running. Hell be 28 this season, meaning his next deal will be through years(Age 29-33/34). He has never shown he can carry the full load. Ofcourse the Jets and us love him, but a second round pick for him would be amazing. With the Cribbs deal I think the Jets will have a VERY hard time signing leon to a extension, and a trade is the best alternative

Not trading a guy no matter what is tendering Braylon Edwards at a first, and a third rounder.

If I had to bet either way, I would be Leon gets traded this off season or next.

[QUOTE=ombudsmn;3530042]more like leon, 29, and our 4th to the browns for #7, Erik Berry[/QUOTE]

BERRY hurt his toe today and was limited at pro day i heard. Noway the jets give up Leon, 1st rd pick and 4th rd pick for him. :zzz:

[QUOTE=KR;3530413]In fairness, I must have read this exact line about Kerry Rhodes about a million times the last month or two.

I dont agree with on the Leon Tender. If the Jets can get a two for Leon, they are taking it and running. Hell be 28 this season, meaning his next deal will be through years(Age 29-33/34). He has never shown he can carry the full load. Ofcourse the Jets and us love him, but a second round pick for him would be amazing. With the Cribbs deal I think the Jets will have a VERY hard time signing leon to a extension, and a trade is the best alternative

Not trading a guy no matter what is tendering Braylon Edwards at a first, and a third rounder.

If I had to bet either way, I would be Leon gets traded this off season or next.[/QUOTE]

Well, for one, the main difference between him and Rhodes, is that Rhodes is actually healthy.

Again, [b]Leon cannot pass a physical prior to the draft[/b]. There is no chance a team is parting with a high pick and a big money contract without him being able to pass a physical.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3530443]Well, for one, the main difference between him and Rhodes, is that Rhodes is actually healthy.

Again, [b]Leon cannot pass a physical prior to the draft[/b]. There is no chance a team is parting with a high pick and a big money contract without him being able to pass a physical.[/QUOTE]

Thats a very good point. I think another good point someone made is that Pierre Thomas may be more coveted as well.

This is definetly somthing to keep tabs on though IMO, because if we get a decent deal for him I can't see us passing. This will be very interesting to follow.....

All League
    i'd be ok with trading up for the best safety in the draft just the way you laid it out. HOWEVER we must draft an RB also, somewhere, in this draft EVEN IF Leon stays. If he goes then we must draft a rb even more so.

I look at it this way.....LT is here for 1 or 2 yrs. Leon will be 30 in 2 years. We need fresh new RB blood to mentor and eventually split time with Greene. Maybe Chauncey Washington is good, maybe not. Can't sit on our laurels. gotta draft an RB.

I would be totally cool with this. If this was the scenario, I'd go:

1) Earl Thomas FS
    2) Lamarr Houston DE
    4) Ben Tate RB

Greene/LT/Tate would be pretty sweet and Houston would be a nice pick at DE.

Rookie
    I like Leon but if the price is right, I would be OK to let him go.

Your trade up proposal is not sufficient to me (what we would obtain in return)

@lex