Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: LaDainian Tomlinson on the Dan Patrick Show

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

LaDainian Tomlinson on the Dan Patrick Show

LT was on the dan patrick show today for a q&a...

[QUOTE]DP: If Brett Favre said he was coming back to Minnesota, would that have changed your mind?
    LT: I would have still went to New York.
    DP: I don't believe you. I wish I could see your face right now. Did you guys text?
    LT: I knew he had been in both places. I kind of wanted to get his idea of both places.
    DP: He lobbied you to go to Minnesota, didn't he?
    LT: Yeah, I mean, he definitely did.
    DP: Did he get a hold of you first or did you get a hold of him?
    LT: He reached out to me.
    DP: Doesn't that lead you to believe he's going to come back and play?
    LT: Yeah it does, but like I said before, that had nothing to do with my decision. I think at the end of the day, even though Favre hasn't said he's coming back, you just didn't know for sure.
    DP: If Favre is in Minnesota still playing, who has a better chance of going to the Super Bowl, Minnesota or the Jets?
    LT: That's a good question. Both of them were in the conference championship game last year. I can't put one up over the other.
    DP: How did the Jets close you?
    LT: I've been in this offense all of my career. You know going to Minnesota I'd have to learn a new offense. And that's a tough thing to do. It's a West Coast offense. I've never been in that system before. So it would have been a bit of a challenge starting out trying to learn that offense. Where with the Jets, I know the offense. I know [offensive coordinator] Brian Schottenheimer. I enjoy being around Rex Ryan. So it's just a better fit.
    DP: When the Jets open up the stadium on Monday night of Week 1, who's the starting running back for New York?
    LT: I don't know, that's obviously a long way away.
    DP: Are you going in there trying to win the job, or are you being told that you're there to help Shonn Green?
    LT: No I'm not going in there with any idea if I'm going to be the starter or anything like that. I approach this situation as I'm coming to a new team -- a team that was very good without me. And I've got to sit in and find a role with these guys. And you know part of that is going to be obviously helping the young talented guy like Shonn Green. And also helping Leon Washington, that's a part of my role. But who knows what the future's going to hold as far as being a starter or not.
    DP: Why aren't you a San Diego Charger?
    LT: It was time to move on.
    DP: By you or them?
    LT: Both.
    DP: But this is a team that needs a starting running back.
    LT: They don't need a running back in that type of offense like me -- the type of skills that I have.
    DP: Were you too expensive. If you would have taken less, would they have kept you?
    LT: It wasn't about the money at all. I could have taken more money to go to Minnesota, but it wasn't about that. With the Chargers, it was really time to move on.
    DP: Is it Philip Rivers' team?
    LT: Absolutely. Yes it is.
    DP: Should it be?
    LT: Yes, absolutely it should be. But I don't think that should have meant [we can't play together]. I don't think it had anything to do with it in my mind. Maybe in their mind it did. In my mind, it didn't.
    DP: If I say you'll get 500 rushing yards this year, but you're going to the Super Bowl, are you OK with that?
    LT: Absolutely, no question. Dan, you've seen my career, I've done some great things individually, but I haven't done any great things with a team yet. And that's what I'm in New York for. I believe this team can win a championship.
    DP: Were you concerned that you were going to be labeled the greatest running back not to win a championship? Sort of like Dan Marino, greatest quarterback.
    LT: Yeah, I mean, it's definitely there. I can't tell you how bad I've wanted to win a championship, to experience everything you can possibly experience. But seeing your buddies win championships, someone like Drew, who I'm close to, seeing that. It was something that I just feel missing and I would like to feel like that.
    DP: How close were you to joining the Saints?
    LT: Not close at all.
    DP: Do you have a 1,000-yard season left in you?
    LT: Absolutely.
    DP: Were the Redskins on the list?
    LT: No.
    DP: You'd never play for the Raiders?
    LT: No
    DP: Even if it was a great offer?
    LT: Yeah, even if it was a great offer. The things we built here in San Diego going against the Raiders -- we beat them 12, 13 straight times. I couldn't just go to the other side.
    DP: What if that's the only offer, that or retire?
    DP: I'm retiring.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/102461/index.html[/url]

good read. and i'm kinda worried about his response on his role and who the starter will be. i was under the impression he's being told straight up he's the backup. he's there to spell greene and mentor him, but based on his response, that might not be the case.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL

The Raiders are so freaking awful it's ridiculous. Players don't want to play for them, coaches don't want to coach them.

The Blackhole...what a perfect little nickname.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think with the timing, LT was a good signing. I still have my reservations & would've liked to have kept TJ for what it's worth. I don't think Greene is ready to be the 'full time back' we had hoped. Leon Washington brings more questions than answers. Of course I'd love for the Jets to lock him up, but we don't even know if he's going to return to form or will he take a step or two back? I hope LT picks up where TJ left off. I hope Shonn Greene picks up where he left off during the playoffs. And I hope Leon makes a complete recovery & gets right back into form.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ** laughing while wearing his #21 Tomlinson jersey **

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3530096]LT was on the dan patrick show today for a q&a...

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/102461/index.html[/url]

good read. and i'm kinda worried about his response on his role and who the starter will be. i was under the impression he's being told straight up he's the backup. he's there to spell greene and mentor him, but based on his response, that might not be the case.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's a worry at all, but that's just my opinion.

If he knew he'd be the starter, he'd have said it.

If he doesn't quite know what his role will be, he'll remain ambiguous like he was there.

If he was going to be the starter, I'd think he'd know that.

If he was going to be #2 or #3 depending on the game and gameplan, I'd think he'd remain ambiguous, like he was there.

He's already stated that he has no problem being #2, since the Jets got to the AFCCG without him. That, to me, means he'll leave the decision up to Schotty. I think Schotty will give the majority of the carries to SG, and I don't think LT will overrule Schotty or be a cancer about it.

Dude just wants a shot at a superbowl. That's why he came here. And that is pretty damn cool. Finally, the Jets are the team that someone comes to if they want a chance to go to the superbowl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't think the Jets FO told LT that he is the backup. They will play it out in camp and if LT emerges as our best option I really don't think Schotty is going to start Greene or Leon if LT is out playing them. We run the ball a ton and all 3 backs will get their opportunities but in the end the hot hand is going to get the ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenJoe;3530144]I
    He's already stated that he has no problem being #2, since the Jets got to the AFCCG without him. That, to me, means he'll leave the decision up to Schotty. I think Schotty will give the majority of the carries to SG, and I don't think LT will overrule Schotty or be a cancer about it.

Dude just wants a shot at a superbowl. That's why he came here. And that is pretty damn cool. [B]Finally, the Jets are the team that someone comes to if they want a chance to go to the superbowl[/B].[/QUOTE]

I know, how cool is that? after year's of ridicule and mockery... At some point, we're over analyzing the LT production issue...

LaDanian Tomlinson wanted to play for the Jets, and is now a New York Jet. Say that aloud. feels good.

NY will go with the hot hand, and i have no doubt that on a few occasions, that will be LT

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Besides looking at the production, I think the KEY factor here is that LT will mentor Greene, show him how to prepare, hold on to the ball and be mentally ready.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]LT: I've been in this offense all of my career. You know going to Minnesota I'd have to learn a new offense. And that's a tough thing to do. It's a West Coast offense. I've never been in that system before. So it would have been a bit of a challenge starting out trying to learn that offense. Where with the Jets, I know the offense. I know [offensive coordinator] Brian Schottenheimer. [B]I enjoy being around Rex Ryan.[/B] So it's just a better fit.[/QUOTE]

They all want to play for Rex! :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;3530175]They all want to play for Rex! :yes:[/QUOTE]

Not Kerry..:eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LT is smart. You don't go to the Raiders, because if you go to the Raiders you're either A. Dying (career wise) or B. You're just looking to steal some $.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3530181]Not Kerry..:eek:[/QUOTE]

It's obvious at this point that Kerry felt slighted because the new coaching staff didn't come in and kiss his butt. They actually expected him to study and learn and become a leader and as far as Kerry was concerned he was already a superstar and everyone should be playing second fiddle to him. It's a shame but I guess we really can't argue Rex and Co. not wanting this guy around anymore.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenJoe;3530144]
    Dude just wants a shot at a superbowl. That's why he came here. And that is pretty damn cool. Finally, the Jets are the team that someone comes to if they want a chance to go to the superbowl.[/QUOTE]

+1 I thought the same thing myself. Isn't it great to have players for once wanting to come to NY for their chance to win the SB? I think it is awesome, I definitely like the feeling.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    LT's saying all the right things. Can't wait to see him take the field, I think the crowd will go wild.

Might have to get a green Tomlinson 21 jersey to add to the powderblue 21

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    HUGE UPGRADE over Thomas Two Yards

indisputable

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the starter issue matters on this team as I'm sure the carrys will be split. In fact, I wouldn't mind trading LW for a second rounder and drafting a RB with that pick or our other 2nd rounder. Having LT and SG ensures us one thing - that if one of them hits the whole with some open space to the goal line, chances are their hitting that home run. TJ didn't give us that chance - and both of these guys can catch the ball out of the backfield.