Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Some stuff on Pool and Rhodes

Cimini: Some stuff on Pool and Rhodes

[QUOTE]BY RICH CIMINI

Overshadowed by LaDainian Tomlinson and the coin-flip flap, newly-signed S Brodney Pool didn't get much ink in the local papers. Understandable. But this is an interesting signing by the Jets, who landed the former Browns starter one year, $1.3 million. He's the leading candidate to replace Kerry Rhodes, who was traded to Arizona.

Here's how an opposing GM assessed the Pool/Rhodes switch:

"Pool has had four concussions, so that's iffy. As a player, he's a good athlete. He plays with tunnel vision like a lot of players do. He's not real aware in pass coverage, but he's solid against the run. He's got talent. He doesn't have Rhodes' ball skills in coverage, but he'll come up and hit you. In a way, he's the opposite of Rhodes. If you had a guy with a concussion problem, you'd want it to be Rhodes because he doesn't hit anybody. Pool will hit you."

Some things have come to light since the Rhodes trade. For one, the Jets were shopping Rhodes at least two or three weeks before they dealt him, sources said, so it wasn't like an Arizona-only situation. If the Cards had re-signed Antrel Rolle, the Jets would've found another taker.

Rhodes' act with the Jets grated on a lot of people. According to people close to the team, he didn't have a full grasp of the defense until Week 11, around the time he got benched. In the DB meetings, a lot of players used to sit near Jim Leonhard to pick his brain because of his familiarity with the system, but Rhodes never made that effort.

There also was a feeling that Rhodes showed no accountability when he made a mistake. Rhodes was the burn victim on the momentum-swinging Colts TD pass just before halftime in the championship game, but he refused to own up after the game -- and that rubbed people the wrong way.

Anyway, I'm sorry this is a few days late, but as you know, the Jets have been busy making headlines.
    [/QUOTE]

Imagine what Rhodes could be if he actually put some effort and time into what he does. It's a waste of talent. With that said what a bum...I'm so glad he's off this team.

"Rhodes' act with the Jets grated on a lot of people. According to people close to the team, he didn't have a full grasp of the defense until Week 11, around the time he got benched. In the DB meetings, a lot of players used to sit near Jim Leonhard to pick his brain because of his familiarity with the system, but Rhodes never made that effort.

There also was a feeling that Rhodes showed no accountability when he made a mistake. Rhodes was the burn victim on the momentum-swinging Colts TD pass just before halftime in the championship game, but he refused to own up after the game -- and that rubbed people the wrong way."

It appears the fans weren't too far off on their assessment of Tackle Whiffer

Basically as long as their is no concussion issues the perfect Safety for this team. Is he going to wear the helmet that limits concussions this year??? Did he wear that helmet last year????

All League
    [QUOTE=mavericknyc1980;3530171]Basically as long as their is no concussion issues the perfect Safety for this team. Is he going to wear the helmet that limits concussions this year??? Did he wear that helmet last year????[/QUOTE]

That's a very good point, these new type of helmets are suppose to lessen the blow of a big hit and help prevent concussions, I am assuming he will be wearing one this year, it can be vital to him not only playing in the NFL, but more importantly his life after the NFL as well.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3530151]Imagine what Rhodes could be if he actually put some effort and time into what he does. It's a waste of talent. With that said what a bum...I'm so glad he's off this team.[/QUOTE]

Sad but true, classic under acheiver..... he really loved the Hollywood label

With all the info on Rhodes coming out now it is definitely clear that the guy was completely wasting his talent. His decline could definitely be attributed to Vilma being sent off to New Orleans because that is exactly when Mr. Rhodes stop studying and making an effort to improve. It's a shame because uf he could have gotten his act together he definitely could have been an Ed Reed type player.

I really like this kid, I hope he comes out with a solid 2010 and we can resign him after the season with a long term deal.

He is aggressive and will definitely hit but I'm worried about him in coverage. Leonhard doesn't have the range and Pool doesn't seem to be good at all in coverage so we still need a ball hawk to play opposite of Jim.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Saw Rhodes on TMZ on Monday night. He's apparently hitting something other than opposing players:

[IMG]http://broccolicity.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/ad2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cdn.idontlikeyouinthatway.com//pictures/20090131/aubrey%20o%20day%20playboy%20leak/t/aubrey_leakthumb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.pinaycelebrities.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/aubrey-oday-playboy.jpg[/IMG]

His new girlfriend, Aubrey O'Day. Oh, and in the clip, they were coming out of a restaurant in.....Hollywood :D
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 03-17-2010 at 07:09 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE]"Pool has had four concussions, so that's iffy. As a player, he's a good athlete. [B]He plays with tunnel vision like a lot of players do. He's not real aware in pass coverage, but he's solid against the run. He's got talent. He doesn't have Rhodes' ball skills in coverage, but he'll come up and hit you[/B]. In a way, he's the opposite of Rhodes. If you had a guy with a concussion problem, you'd want it to be Rhodes because he doesn't hit anybody. Pool will hit you."[/QUOTE]

Thought Poole was similar to Rhodes in that he was a good pass defender.:confused:

Remember alot of posters were saying that at least.....I mean 4 ints sounds like he has good pass coverage skills , unless they were garbage picks, tips, etc.

Wonder who the mystery GM being interviewed was.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3530211]Saw Rhodes on TMZ on Monday night. He's apparently hitting something other than opposing players:

His new girlfriend, Aubrey O'Day. Oh, and in the clip, they were coming out of a restaurant in.....Hollywood :D[/QUOTE]

hahaha I saw that! I hate the guy but damn props to him lol. Once the camera went to him, he was trying to jump into the limo.

There was a article a few days ago that said Pool has only had 1 concussion, and the reports were false..can't find it now

[QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3530200]I really like this kid, I hope he comes out with a solid 2010 and we can resign him after the season with a long term deal.[/QUOTE]

Can you give us your opinion of why you like him so much????

[QUOTE=hendu24;3530222]There was a article a few days ago that said Pool has only had 1 concussion, and the reports were false..can't find it now[/QUOTE]

What were did you see that???? If thats true you need to find it.

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816e6cfa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true"][/URL][QUOTE=mavericknyc1980;3530254]What were did you see that???? If thats true you need to find it.[/QUOTE]

Agent: Safety Pool agrees to one-year, $1.3M contract with Jets
    Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The Jets and safety Brodney Pool, whose career appeared to be threatened by head injuries, agreed in principle to a one-year contract worth $1.3 million Thursday.

The deal includes $1.2 million guaranteed, Pool's agent, Ben Dogra, told The Associated Press.

Pool wasn't given a second-round tender by the Cleveland Browns last week, making him an unrestricted free agent.

"He's going to sign there and have a great opportunity to play in a terrific defense under Rex Ryan," Dogra said. "It was the No. 1 place for him, and hopefully it's the first year of many for him there as a New York Jet."

Pool, 25, gives the Jets a replacement for Kerry Rhodes, whom they traded to the Arizona Cardinals last weekend -- as long as Pool remains healthy. Pool has been cleared to play, but he missed the Browns' final five games last season after sustaining what reportedly was at least his fourth known concussion -- a number that Dogra disputes.

[B]"He is healthy and ready to go," Dogra said. "Despite reports to the contrary, Brodney only had one known concussion. He is excited about the opportunity to play for the Jets and making a contribution to the No. 1 defense in the NFL."[/B]
    Pool, a second-round draft pick out of Oklahoma in 2005, had 50 tackles, four interceptions and one sack before being injured during a Week 12 game at Cincinnati. He has 11 interceptions and four sacks in five NFL seasons, all with the Browns.

Pool holds the Browns' franchise record for the longest interception return, going 100 yards for a score against the Baltimore Ravens in 2007.

here is the link

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816e6cfa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816e6cfa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true[/URL]

[QUOTE=hendu24;3530297][URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816e6cfa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true"][/URL]

Agent: Safety Pool agrees to one-year, $1.3M contract with Jets
    Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The Jets and safety Brodney Pool, whose career appeared to be threatened by head injuries, agreed in principle to a one-year contract worth $1.3 million Thursday.

The deal includes $1.2 million guaranteed, Pool's agent, Ben Dogra, told The Associated Press.

Pool wasn't given a second-round tender by the Cleveland Browns last week, making him an unrestricted free agent.

"He's going to sign there and have a great opportunity to play in a terrific defense under Rex Ryan," Dogra said. "It was the No. 1 place for him, and hopefully it's the first year of many for him there as a New York Jet."

Pool, 25, gives the Jets a replacement for Kerry Rhodes, whom they traded to the Arizona Cardinals last weekend -- as long as Pool remains healthy. Pool has been cleared to play, but he missed the Browns' final five games last season after sustaining what reportedly was at least his fourth known concussion -- a number that Dogra disputes.

[B]"He is healthy and ready to go," Dogra said. "Despite reports to the contrary, Brodney only had one known concussion. He is excited about the opportunity to play for the Jets and making a contribution to the No. 1 defense in the NFL."[/B]
    Pool, a second-round draft pick out of Oklahoma in 2005, had 50 tackles, four interceptions and one sack before being injured during a Week 12 game at Cincinnati. He has 11 interceptions and four sacks in five NFL seasons, all with the Browns.

Pool holds the Browns' franchise record for the longest interception return, going 100 yards for a score against the Baltimore Ravens in 2007.

here is the link

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816e6cfa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816e6cfa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true[/URL][/QUOTE]

If thats true he might be a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SLEEPER. Nice work.

Banned
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3530151]Imagine what Rhodes could be if he actually put some effort and time into what he does. It's a waste of talent. With that said what a bum...I'm so glad he's off this team.[/QUOTE]

Great article the guy is a great writer, I don't get why people knock on him for being discerning and occasionally critical, I think its pettiness and jealousy which motivates people to pick on him.

My question is how is it possible that the entire NFL world got it wrong that he had 4 concussions? What did he lose time to injury for those other three times? Was he misdiagnosed three times by team doctors?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;3530311]My question is how is it possible that the entire NFL world got it wrong that he had 4 concussions? What did he lose time to injury for those other three times? Was he misdiagnosed three times by team doctors?[/QUOTE]

+1

Spin job by the agent?:huh:

[QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3530315]+1

Spin job by the agent?:huh:[/QUOTE]

That was my first thought, but he was signed already what would the agent get out of spinning this...