Thread: Bears release former ProBowl CB Vasher

All League

Bears release former ProBowl CB Vasher

I think he'd be a solid pick-up as a slot CB to replace Strickland and give us more flexibility in the draft. Thoughts?

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5003571[/url]

Updated: March 17, 2010, 6:30 PM ET

[SIZE="4"][B]Bears release cornerback Vasher[/B][/SIZE]

The Chicago Bears released cornerback Nathan Vasher on Wednesday.

"Nate was a great teammate," said Zack Bowman, who replaced Vasher at cornerback. "It was amazing how he kept things so positive even though things really weren't going the way he wanted them to on the field.

"The guy never took a negative approach to anything. He constantly gave me pointers, gave me encouragement and passed on a lot of things that as a young guy I really benefited from. Not only did Vash play some good ball here in Chicago, he was an extremely popular guy in the locker room.

Whether you needed a ride somewhere or wanted to watch a basketball game with somebody, Vash was always eager to hang out."

Vasher, who earned a Pro Bowl selection after recording eight interceptions in 2005, set an NFL record by returning a missed field goal 108 yards for a touchdown against the San Francisco 49ers on Nov. 13, 2005.

That record was broken when San Diego cornerback Antonio Cromartie returned a missed field goal 109 yards for a touchdown in 2007.

A fourth-round pick in 2004, Vasher started 46 games in six seasons with the Bears.

The Bears signed veteran cornerback Tim Jennings to a two-year contract on Tuesday.

Nice find, he would be a very good slot Corner.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;3530220]Whether you needed a ride somewhere or wanted to watch a basketball game with somebody, Vash was always eager to hang out."[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Cover 2 guy...... Pass.

All League
    [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/10901/bears-loyalty-to-vasher-goes-unrewarded[/url]

[B]Bears' loyalty to Vasher goes unrewarded
    [/B]
    March, 17, 2010 5:19 PM ET
    By Kevin Seifert

Chicago's decision to release cornerback Nathan Vasher came a year too late.

Whether it was injuries or confidence or a combination of both, Vasher was clearly an inferior player at the end of the 2008 season. He appeared in eight games that year, after making it through only four the season before, and had a $2.5 million roster bonus due before the 2009 season.

That seemed an appropriate time to part ways, but the Bears' loyalty to a key player on the 2006 Super Bowl team got the best of them. Against all logic, they believed Vasher could regain his starting job and give them the kind of playmaking that led to 13 interceptions in the first two seasons of his career.

Vasher, however, started only two games and lost his job to Zack Bowman. Any chance of competing for the 2010 nickel job was eliminated Tuesday after the Bears signed free agent Tim Jennings.

But don't shed many tears for Vasher, one of the genuinely good guys in the Bears locker room. As Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune points out, Vasher collected $18.6 million over the past three seasons.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3530231]Cover 2 guy...... Pass.[/QUOTE]

+1

Plus I think he's had alot of injuries the past couple of years

The Bears have one of the worst secondaries in the league and they let him go, what does that tell you?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Chupa;3530312]The Bears have one of the worst secondaries in the league and they let him go, what does that tell you?[/QUOTE]

That Rex can turn him around!

I think he is Vashed out.
    :rimshot:

All League
    [QUOTE=RussianGreen;3530332]I think he is Vashed out.
    :rimshot:[/QUOTE]
    +1 I was going to say the same thing. I like the drumroll at the end. LOL

PASS!!! Although i feel the jets still need two nickle&Dime CB's bc Coleman sucks and lowery isnt much better.:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    OH NO --- not another "sign this beast" thread about some washed up rubbish thrown out by another team

[QUOTE=Baddniss;3530406]kick returner?[/QUOTE]

We only have at least 2 better ones under contract.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3530407]We only have at least 2 better ones under contract.[/QUOTE]

Venom, YOU could beat Leon in a 40 yard dash right now...

[QUOTE=Baddniss;3530414]Venom, YOU could beat Leon in a 40 yard dash right now...[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but I'd still rather have Brad Smith back there and he's healthy.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3530231]Cover 2 guy...... Pass.[/QUOTE]

Everyone plays Cover 2...He's a Tampa 2 guy too but he'd be the equivalent of getting a cheaper, not as talented Lito Sheppard.

The FA DBs suck man...

He seems to have more injury problems than Strickland. Not for nothing but I wouldn't mind bringing Strickland back; when he is healthy the guy is an asset.

Jets Insider VIP
    strickland signed with somebody else already

keep up