Thread: Where would Crabtree get drafted this year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Where would Crabtree get drafted this year

So listening to NFL Network on the drive home tonight and they made passing, laughing reference to the Raiders drafting Bey at #7 with Crabtree still on the board got me to thinking...

If SF hadn't gotten him signed, he would presumably be entering the draft again this year. So where do you think he would be drafted? Would he break the top 10? Would he even be the first WR drafted (*cough Dez Bryant*)?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is a much stronger year and the year away from the game would sour him on alot of folks

in this draft there are 40 guys with first round grades, that hurts all the wide receivers...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3530368]So listening to NFL Network on the drive home tonight and they made passing, laughing reference to the Raiders drafting Bey at #7 with Crabtree still on the board got me to thinking...

If SF hadn't gotten him signed, he would presumably be entering the draft again this year. So where do you think he would be drafted? Would he break the top 10? Would he even be the first WR drafted (*cough Dez Bryant*)?[/QUOTE]

second receiver after Bryant....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Crabs gets drafted somewhere between 2nd and 3rd rds.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably the best receiver in the draft...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Behind Dez Bryant...probably no later than 12 to the Dolphins.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3530452]With the way Bryant is reportedly sliding that could be a late 1 or early 2 :eek:

[B]Unless rumors of Bryant's slide are greatly exaggerated?[/B][/QUOTE]

To say the least...Yes.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3530452]With the way Bryant is reportedly sliding that could be a late 1 or early 2 :eek:

Unless rumors of Bryant's slide are greatly exaggerated?[/QUOTE]

can't see that...people tend to throw sh!t at the wall with the hopes it sticks for the "told you so" moment....

Bryant is head and shoulders above every/any receiver in the draft....has character flaws but then so did crabtree last year...to big, fast, strong, explosive and too much a game breaker/game controller at the position to fall, considering the injury to D Thomas...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3530456]In his latest mock draft Pat Kirwin has Bryant sliding all the way to the Jets at 29 :)[/QUOTE]

I think he did it for the discussion value of it, like any/most mocks are.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crabtree wil be at home watching when the 9ers get a wild card spot in the playoffs. The thing that upsets most about this kid is that if you didnt want to play for the 9ers why not let them know b4 the trade dealine for rookies. And also, you have the chance to play for a top 5 franchise of all time and have a chance to learn from Jerry Rice(which i would kill for), I dont think this guy thinks for himself, i think he lets others do his thinking for him.
    Singletary is Very good coach, he gets players to play their best.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    speaking of the Niner mess, there is a story that they are about to fire their GM 5 weeks from the draft because apparently the know nothing about football owners like York are trying to tell him who to draft (probably a QB) and he disagrees (probably wants to keep going with Smith)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3530593]speaking of the Niner mess, there is a story that they are about to fire their GM 5 weeks from the draft because apparently the know nothing about football owners like York are trying to tell him who to draft (probably a QB) and he disagrees (probably wants to keep going with Smith)[/QUOTE]

haven't followed the niners organization recently but I can tell you this- Singletary has been on the road more than any HC privately workoing out players ahead of the draft....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3530605]haven't followed the niners organization recently but I can tell you this- Singletary has been on the road more than any HC privately workoing out players ahead of the draft....[/QUOTE]

I said this after week one, and now after a full season of evaluation, I truly believe it.

Singletary and Ryan are two of the best up and coming head coaches in the NFL. And scary thing is that I see SOoo many similarities between styles and the makeup of the teams, that the 49ers could be back to their perrenial greatness very soon.

Methinks it has to do with the fact that yes, they both have the x's and o's, and they both know how to be leaders of men...but more importantly, they both share a [U]genuine[/U] love for the sport [B]and[/B] the game. Alot of coaches today just care about the sport (hermie), or just the game (weiss, mangini).
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 03-18-2010 at 08:59 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jeT.MAC;3530448]I think Crabs gets drafted somewhere between 2nd and 3rd rds.[/QUOTE]

what the hell are you talking about.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gholstons Revenge;3530888]what the hell are you talking about.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't take Crabtree in the 1st rd. . That makes him a 2nd rd pick... [B]imo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/B]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jeT.MAC;3530954]I wouldn't take Crabtree in the 1st rd. . That makes him a 2nd rd pick... [B]imo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/B][/QUOTE]

That's fairly craptastic. Maybe 2nd or 3rd in a draft with 3 or 4 WRs better than him...not one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    crabtree didn't run his 40 due to legitimate injury. but he had that game against Texas in everyone's mind and people remembered that

dez bryant was suspended 3 games into the season this year, he hasn't run his 40 due to hamstring injury (supposedly) - has moved his pro day a bunch of times. He had a ton of time to get ready, in fact he's had no football responsibilities for 9 months. His draft stock is falling because people think he doesn't have football as a high priority, there was no such belief about Crabtree. Crabby also had better production in less games, on a worse team.

If I were an NFL GM with a draft pick i wouldn't draft any wide receiver in the first round who didn't run a 40 yard dash in the draft season. That guy wouldn't be on my first round board, I dont care if he's Crabtree, Bryant or whoever. These guys have to run to establish their value as first round players.

in general there are many NFL GMs who flat out won't draft a WR in the first round unless it's a Megatron ( Calvin Johnson) type of prospect... the bust factor is way too high

i remember the year everyone was pissed because they took Kyle Brady... many wanted Sapp... but many fans also wanted JJ Stokes. first round WR are bust worthy and they always end up on the trade or free agent market. other positions like QB, LT etc almost never end up on the market and you have to draft those guys. Strictly speaking you dont have to draft a Wr in round 1 to find a good one.
    Last edited by bitonti; 03-18-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]If I were an NFL GM with a draft pick i wouldn't draft any wide receiver in the first round who didn't run a 40 yard dash in the draft season.[/QUOTE]

Lol wtf is that? What's your obsession with the WR 40 time?

Crabtree and Bryant already established their value as first round players by absolutely dominating their competition in college. Running 40 yards in a straight line well doesn't really prove anything but that you can run 40 yards in a straight line anywhere from fine to great.

And please bit...you're a certified draft expert...please stop trying to convince people that Crabtree playing at Texas Tech has nothing to do with his numbers. And please stop tyring to convince people Bryant hasn't been doing anything to get ready for the draft...the guy came in at 225 of muscle after being in the 210-215 range for '08. You're literally the only draft guy I've heard who thinks Bryant hasn't been doing anything draft related the past 9 months or so....except maybe Pat Kirwan, who isn't what I'd call good company.

Also, Michael Crabtree did not get so highly thought of because of one game against Texas.