Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Feely to visit with Cardinals

All League
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3530542]Easy to say but you're not negotiating his contract.

How much is he worth to you? Put a number down.[/QUOTE]

I would say 1.6M for Feely. Anymore than that and he can walk. I don't think any team is going to give him enough money for us to even be able to give Sharper what he is looking for anyways.

Jets Insider VIP
    whoa

this is not a "move" the Jets are making or not making

Feely ia an UNRESTRICTED free agent. That means he is FREE to look for a better deal and that the Jets can't do anything to stop him

but we need to remember one thing

HE'S A KICKER, for godsake.

we already signed Folk who was a probowler when Feely was bouncing around between the Giants and the Dolphins (both of whom let him go and found dime a dozen kickers as good or better)

and we can sign three more kickers before training camp for peanuts and then play the one that does best

Kickers - dime a dozen

All Pro
    Kickers are just so damn inconsistent from seAson to season.

Plus Feely missing in Indy is huge- no kicker is allowed an off game in the playoffs. Kaeding was just about perfect in the reg season and now he is reviled in SD.
    Last edited by David Harris; 03-18-2010 at 05:51 AM.

[QUOTE=RageATL;3530418][url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/feely-will-visit-the-cardinals/[/url]

[i]Feely will visit the Cardinals

With the Jets moving on from kicker Jay Feely, Feely needs to move on from New York.

He'll commence the process this weekend.

According to Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com, Feely will visit the Cardinals. The two-time defending NFC West champs are in the market for a kicker; [B]Neil Rackers, an unrestricted free agent, isn't expected to return.[/B]

Feely, 33, also has played for the Falcons, Giant, and Dolphins.[/i]

I say sign Rackers.[/QUOTE]

Rackers seems to melt down in big situations.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;3530439]Kinda sad to see Jay go... definitely my favorite Jets kicker I've ever seen. I'm really surprised the Jets didn't bring him back though. I understand they want to be able to sign an UFA if he goes elsewhere, but I thought it'd be a no brainer after the Cincinnatti game.[/QUOTE]

Feely is a great kicker.

And if it was up to me personally, I wouldn't let him walk.

That being said, he did choke against the Colts in the AFC championship game.

What was he 1 for 4 on FG attempts? And that was indoors.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-18-2010 at 07:40 AM.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3530412]Bad move if we let this guy walk. Mark my words.[/QUOTE]

+1

He is a "leader" of the JETS.

That is a lot said from the kicking position.

And he is very good.

This is another questionable move (IMHO)

Who am I to question the JETS FO that got one game away from a SB?

I hope this, and other moves, that have me scratching my head work out.

Jets Insider VIP
    I repeat

he is a FREE AGENT

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT

this is not a "move" that you can say is good or bad by the Jets

... did we not tender feely so that we have the right to match his offer? ...

... very interesting the idea of letting him go in order to sign sharper ... is it possible to offer a salary that is reasonable for a top safety with what the free agent restrictions are? ...

... feely performed well all-season up to the one bad miss in the last game ... he definitely would seem to be > folk & what else is out there ... i'm very curious to see the completion of mikey t's agenda here ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT, ljr for godsake

teams have NO rights to tender a UFA to anything or to match anything

that is what UNRESTRICTED means

and if he signs with someone for 2 years - total 4 million (a huge contract for dime a dozen kickers) that is all we would be able to offer Sharper who would then die laughing at such a laughably low offer for a real football player who is not a kicker.

None of our UFA's are worth much so I wouldn't spend too much time dreaming about Sharper as a Jet.

[QUOTE=sg3;3530596]UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT, ljr for godsake

teams have NO rights to tender a UFA to anything or to match anything

that is what UNRESTRICTED means

and if he signs with someone for 2 years - total 4 million (a huge contract for dime a dozen kickers) that is all we would be able to offer Sharper who would then die laughing at such a laughably low offer for a real football player who is not a kicker.

None of our UFA's are worth much so I wouldn't spend too much time dreaming about Sharper as a Jet.[/QUOTE]

... for some reason i hadn't been paying attention to feely's situation ... and it had seemed like there were conflicting posts regarding his status ... thanks for the reply sg3 ... f your tone ...

... it seems very strange that mikey t would think folk > feely or that the $$$ is an issue ... this HAS to still be a work in progress before the start of next year ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    sorry about my tone

but I think you still don't quite get it because what Mikey T thinks or doesn't think means nothing since Feely is FREE to sign with whoever he wants (who will give him an offer) for whatever he can get.

so it shouldn't seem very strange, really

[QUOTE=sg3;3530604]
    but I think you still don't quite get it because what Mikey T thinks or doesn't think means nothing since Feely is FREE to sign with whoever he wants [/QUOTE]

... his thought process in letting feely go in the 1st place ...

... there are always plans upon plans that the GM's have ... this one would seem a head scratcher ... but then again so did the pats letting vinatieri go ...

l_j_r

This is a no brainer for the Jets brass.
    If Feely gets signed in Zona, Jets would be able to bring in Sharper. I believe base salary has to be equal what Feely gets from Zona, but I think the Jets can put in incentives that can kick in, in 2011.
    So if Feely signs for 1.7 which is what Sharper made last year, the Jets can raise his salary to around 2.2 Million in 2011.

Would he sign up for that? who knows
    Sharper would make the Jets better in their secondary than they are now, and that's what Tanny is trying to do.

Jets need a D end to eventually replace Ellis and another 3-4 pass rushing LB
    If they got Sharper & hit on those other draft picks there defense would be scary.
    The only teams that would have a shot at scoring on the Jets would be teams that have really good QBs.
    With this lineup, Rex will kill average or below average QBs. Qbs get mentally tired as the game wears on when 3rd downs are a lesson in controlled chaos which is what Rex brings to bear.
    He's putting together a team DEEP enough to keep the heat on for 4 quarters.

Just the thought that he now knows he can rest Jenkins more because of Pouhas play last year and Devito has really come on, enough to make Douglas expendable.
    I'll shat myself if Sharper signs on.

Jets Insider VIP
    the Jets didn't let Feely go or not go

he is an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=sg3;3530604]sorry about my tone

but I think you still don't quite get it because what Mikey T thinks or doesn't think means nothing since Feely is FREE to sign with whoever he wants (who will give him an offer) for whatever he can get.

so it shouldn't seem very strange, really[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that the Jets couldn't sign Feely to another contract under any circumstances?

Why couldn't they just resign him like they did with T-Rich?

Not for nothing but we need Feely. He is a solid FG kicker and they guy save our butts several times on ST with tackles. He got to be one of the only kickers in the league who willingly lays a hit and makes tackles.

Hall Of Fame
    getting rid of feely makes ZERO sense unless the jets have a backdoor agreement with Sharper but what are the odds of that?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;3530543]I can name a boatload of kickers that haven't been able to come back after having one bad season. [B]How bout our fan favorite Doug Brien just for starters. [/B] :yes:[/QUOTE]

Doug Brien actualy wasn't a bad kicker. Dont forget he hit the game winner the week before in San Diego and his 2 misses against Pittsburgh were 1 not totaly (see Herm Edwards) his fault alone, and 2 closer then the misses Feely had against Indy.

The fact that you are in the AF makes my point even further. Anytime Feely see's the chance to get his mug in a picture with someone in the Military he hams it up to further his career after football as a politician. To me he acts no different then Kerry Rhodes doing things to benefit his after football career.

Jets Insider VIP
    They could sign feely only if he wanted to forget about free agency and sign. Which is what happened with Richardson. Feely apparently wants to use his rights as an UNRESTRICTED free agent to see what he can get in the market. The Jets can't stop him from doing so.

And IMO if anyone thinks we are going to sign Sharper for "kicker money" when Feely leaves they are not thinking realistically.

I agree about Feely being a good kicker, BTW, but since UFA exists and he is a UFA, the Jets can't do much about it if he gets a big offer from somebody else

Veteran
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3530622]Not for nothing but we need Feely. He is a solid FG kicker and they guy save our butts several times on ST with tackles. He got to be one of the only kickers in the league who willingly lays a hit and makes tackles.[/QUOTE]

Not for nothing but if he could kick the ball deep in to or for that much even in to the end zone he would not have to make tackles. Lets not forget the Dolphin game in NY that Feely lost. We held them to practicly nothing and the great Ted Ginn Jr guts us twice.There are other kickers that make tackles as well, but I'll take a kicker who puts the ball deep any day of the week and 10x on Sunday.
    Last edited by jayrad01; 03-18-2010 at 09:05 AM.