Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jay Feely to visit with Cardinals

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=jayrad01;3530639] [B]I'll take a kicker who puts the ball deep any day of the week and 10x on Sunday.[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm with you there Jayrad.

Problem is, I don't think Nick Folk is that kicker.

I sure don't want to draft another kicker after the Nugent experiment that blew up in our face.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3530644]I'm with you there Jayrad.

[B]Problem is, I don't think Nick Folk is that kicker[/B].

I sure don't want to draft another kicker after the Nugent experiment that blew up in our face.[/QUOTE]

No he def. is not.I think Dallas had another Kicker just for kickoffs? The thing is there are and will be kickers come and go through the start of the season. Look at Feely we signed him off the street when Nugent got hurt. Rackers has a leg on him and there will be more. I just think that that is a big reason why Wuestoff and company didn't try and lock Jay up before he became a UFA. Kicking off is a huge part of special teams and it cost us. Our return coverage was the worst it's been in years.

Jay feely's 2 misses in AFC CG left a really bad taste in my mouth.

if he doesn't hit those kicks.... how good is he really?

[QUOTE=David Harris;3530542]Easy to say but you're not negotiating his contract.

How much is he worth to you? Put a number down.[/QUOTE]

In the words of Ed Belfour 50 billion dollars!

Lets put it this way, kickers more or less have a price slot like every other position. If the guy is asking for the sun the moon and the stars then fine but if he is being reasonable and we are being cheap then it's a dumb move.

Folks last 3 games before he got cut by Dallas 3-7 a whopping 64% during the year. With a running team, with a young QB you have to cash in on your FG's If our kicker costs us 2 or 3 games next year suddenly the extra $300,000 or whatever becomes a big deal. Just like with long snappers you never notice these guys until they suck and start costing you ball games.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3530697]Jay feely's 2 misses in AFC CG left a really bad taste in my mouth.

if he doesn't hit those kicks.... how good is he really?[/QUOTE]

It's all fine and good to be down on a guy for missing a mid 40 and a 50 plus yarder in the playoffs but the question is very simple. Are you replacing him with someone better or worse? Is the next guy you bring in going to be an 83% kicker with range and will he make all post season fgs? If you can get a better player by all means do so but to potentially get much worse in a position because of those two kicks is crazy. We do not want to go through a Suisam, folk scenario.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3530697]Jay feely's 2 misses in AFC CG left a really bad taste in my mouth.

if he doesn't hit those kicks.... how good is he really?[/QUOTE]

he had a good year and made enough important kicks. while nobody is perfect, he was kicking in a dome that day.

Jets Insider VIP
    those of you who really love the guy can show up at Jetsfest at the new stadium at the end of this month and pay 22 bucks for him to sign stuff

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;3530400]We don't need to sign anyone, if we lose Feely I really really hope that Folk had a fluke year last season and he ends up being the kicker he was his first 2 years.[/QUOTE]

From what I read, a lot of his problems were attributed to his hip surgery and his holder. Supposedly, McBriar isn't highly regarded as a holder. That said, I got this info from Jets Confidential (yes, I still have a subscription) :erm:.

In terms of regular Field Goal kickers (10+ attempts), he was 17th most accurate.

In terms of Kickoff Distance (10+ attempts), he was 11th best in that regard. (Although I'd argue many of the big returns off of us were partially because he didn't get enough hang time on his kicks (in favor of a couple extra yards of distance), and because of the poor hang time, we weren't able to set up our protection schemes), and the decent distance seems like an outlier when it's 3 yards higher then his career average.

Sure, he approaches the position with a Linebackers mentality, and while you can commend him for his effort in that Cincinnati game, it's not like he's an NFL quality punter. Lets be real. But that stuff only makes him a fan favorite, it doesn't make him a great kicker.

By any measurement, he seems completely average. And the nice thing about average players is that they are replaceable. Keep Folk, bring in a couple Late Round/Free Agent rookies to compete with him, chances are you'd get the same results that you were getting from Feely, if not better.

Yeah, sure, Folk had his issues last year, but plenty of kickers have had their issues in the past and rebounded from them over time. It wasn't that long ago that Feely was thrown out of New York because of missing the 3 kicks in that Seattle game.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 03-18-2010 at 10:34 AM.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3530714]It's all fine and good to be down on a guy for missing a mid 40 and a 50 plus yarder in the playoffs but the question is very simple. Are you replacing him with someone better or worse? Is the next guy you bring in going to be an 83% kicker with range and will he make all post season fgs? If you can get a better player by all means do so but to potentially get much worse in a position because of those two kicks is crazy. We do not want to go through a Suisam, folk scenario.[/QUOTE]

thats a concern but I believe the Jets saw the Saints win the Super Bowl with a no-name kicker nailing kicks left and right and thought to themselves, "do we really need Jay Feely?"

All League
    [QUOTE=jayrad01;3530525]F Jay Feely. He lost his mojo in Atlanta and with the Giants,but some how he was able to get better. He is not the only kicker who can do that guys. Kickers have off years. Jay is a kicker they are a dime a dozen.[B]This guy has a huge head already with out posts like these.[/B] Parcells cut him because he has a big mouth it seemed to work out pretty good for the fins having kicker this years pro bowl kicker for the AFC. I'm Not worried one bit about losing Jay Feely. Bring on a play maker like Sharper![/QUOTE]

if you are not a supremely confident person, the pressure of being an NFL kicker will eat you alive.

more than maybe any other position in football, kicker is a mind a game. plenty of guys have the skill, but being able to convert under pressure is what it is all about. that's why guys like Folk worry me -- once you've failed big time as a kicker, I believe it's really hard to ever get that confidence back. he might do fine for a while, but wither when we need him most. maybe we can find a UDFA with brass balls -- I'd feel better about that than a guy off the scrap heap.

[QUOTE=sg3;3530596]UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT, ljr for godsake

teams have NO rights to tender a UFA to anything or to match anything

that is what UNRESTRICTED means

and if he signs with someone for 2 years - total 4 million (a huge contract for dime a dozen kickers) that is all we would be able to offer Sharper who would then die laughing at such a laughably low offer for a real football player who is not a kicker.

None of our UFA's are worth much so I wouldn't spend too much time dreaming about Sharper as a Jet.[/QUOTE]

True. However, the Jets could have franchised him like the Steelers and Seattle I think it was Seattle) did with their Kickers. Not saying they should have but it was an option for an UFA

Veteran
    [QUOTE=gaffneycatch;3530775]if you are not a supremely confident person, the pressure of being an NFL kicker will eat you alive.

more than maybe any other position in football, kicker is a mind a game. plenty of guys have the skill, but being able to convert under pressure is what it is all about. that's why guys like Folk worry me -- [B]once you've failed big time as a kicker, [B]I believe it's really hard to ever get that confidence back. he might do fine for a while, but wither when we need him most[/B][/B]. maybe we can find a UDFA with brass balls -- I'd feel better about that than a guy off the scrap heap.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you are right because Feely failed big time twice Atlanta and NYG and then he withered when we needed him the most AFCCG.

Veteran
    In '09 Feely was 15th in the league in field goal percentage amongst kickers with over twenty goal attempts in the regular season - I removed kickers with less than twenty attempts to be more fair to him (If you include those kickers with less than twenty attempts he drops much further).That's 15th of 26 kickers who made twenty or more field goal attempts folks. That's not so hot. He is one of 17 kickers in '09 who has a 100% success rate in point afters, so nothing particularly unique there. As regards distance ? He made one of one over 50 yds. In the 40 to 49 yards range he is 79%, good'ish but not " we have to sign him no matter what".

In the smaller but important sample of the post season, Feely was joint 5th of 11 kickers in terms of field goal percentage, 3 of 5, 60%.

So I think it's fair to say that the Jets have had horrible kickers in the past to consider Feely to be so irreplaceable.

Automatic is not what Jay Feely is. Serviceable ? Yes. Good ? Yes, Decent ? Yes . . . from every thing I read about him, Jay is a good guy . . . maybe even a future good politician ; but a rare kicking talent ? No.

Kicking appears to be more of a mental game than anything and Jay Feely it appears, has an average mind.
    Last edited by Gangrene; 03-18-2010 at 11:17 AM.

[QUOTE=jayrad01;3530793]Maybe you are right because Feely failed big time twice Atlanta and NYG and then he withered when we needed him the most AFCCG.[/QUOTE]

Geez, have people forgot how he bailed the Jets out in Cincy when Weatherford couldn't punt? He didn't wither there.

He was 1 of 3 in FGs against Indy. 1 of his misses at Indy was from 52 yards. Indoors or not 50+ FGs aren't automatics. His other miss was from 44 yards.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3530811]Geez, [B]have people forgot how he bailed the Jets out in Cincy when Weatherford couldn't punt? He didn't wither there.[/B]

He was 1 of 3 in FGs against Indy. 1 of his misses at Indy was from 52 yards. Indoors or not 50+ FGs aren't automatics. His other miss was from 44 yards.[/QUOTE]

Do you want to make a bet that Feeley will NEVER attempt another punt in his NFL career? exactly.

we had a good chance at the super bowl and could of been there if Feeley didn't miss [B]TWO [/B]field goals

Rookie
    Bring back Nugent for a tryout...

gotta love what Feely did for us in the Bengals game, much respect.

but if losing Feely means signing Sharper...

well, nice knowin' ya, Jay!!! :byebye:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=sg3;3530631][B]They could sign feely only if he wanted to forget about free agency and sign. Which is what happened with Richardson. Feely apparently wants to use his rights as an UNRESTRICTED free agent to see what he can get in the market.[/B] The Jets can't stop him from doing so.

And IMO if anyone thinks we are going to sign Sharper for "kicker money" when Feely leaves they are not thinking realistically.

I agree about Feely being a good kicker, BTW, but since UFA exists and he is a UFA, the Jets can't do much about it if he gets a big offer from somebody else[/QUOTE]

That makes more sense to me now sg3, thanks for clarifying.

So in essence, it sounds like Feely is looking for more money then what the Jets might be offering him - or he possibly just wants to see what another team will offer him before he decides if he wants to re-sign with the Jets.

Either way, clearly, this is out of the Jets hands.

All League
    [QUOTE]Doug Brien actualy wasn't a bad kicker. Dont forget he hit the game winner the week before in San Diego and his 2 misses against Pittsburgh were 1 not totaly (see Herm Edwards) his fault alone, and 2 closer then the misses Feely had against Indy. [/QUOTE]

Brien missed field goals from 47 and 43 yards in the final 2 minutes of regulation of a 20-17 overtime loss in 2005 to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs, sealing his fate with the team. That is all that matters, career over. His misses will live in the minds of Jets fans forever. Before that he got canned from the Vikings for the same thing. He lost his job with Minnesota after he missed two extra points and a field goal in an overtime loss in the second game of the 2002 season.

My point is that once you screw up like Brien did and lose your MOJO, its rare that those kickers ever actually get it back. Speaking of which, where is Brien now? Probably working at McDonalds in Nebraska. Also, would you want Keading on your team after what he did when the pressure was on against us? No one prob would regardless of how good he did during the regular season.

[QUOTE=]
    The fact that you are in the AF makes my point even further. Anytime Feely see's the chance to get his mug in a picture with someone in the Military he hams it up to further his career after football as a politician. To me he acts no different then Kerry Rhodes doing things to benefit his after football career.[/QUOTE]

He didn't even know that I had a camera on me. He just talked to me just to talk to me and we talked for a good while. I guess you could say the same about Revis then, because Revis made it a point to call me over and talk to me as well. I know Feely is all about politics and I don't agree with his views at all, but that doesn't mean he's not a good kicker and we shouldn't try to get him to sign for another 2 years.

Give me some names on the market that are better than him "now". Don't tell me Rackers or Folk cause they couldn't kick their way out of a plastic bag last year.