Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Filling the Slot

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ There's lots of guys that can help on returns and screens right away.

I don't hate Tate, but frankly, he's virtue is a little inflated right now, and unless the sky's the limit (talent wise) then we've other areas to address that early in the draft. There's a few WRs next year i'm more excited about.

Personally, the WRs i do like unfortunately fall into the category of "29 is too early, but they'll be gone by 61". Drafting a WR is really subject to value at your draft position, and we're just not a good position this year to meet our needs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3531929]rookie WR rarely make impacts. It takes years to learn the specific hot routes, getting off the jam, and other skills required of NFL WR. The appeal of a Golden Tate type is he can help on returns and screens right away. But guys like Braylon, Randy Moss and Terry Glenn are exceptions to the rule... most rookie WR are ghosts.[/QUOTE]

Really? I can name 10 rookies WR's last year that made an immediate impact:

Mohamed Massaquoi Cleveland Browns–Rd 2 Pk 18
    Louis Murphy Oakland Raiders– Rd 4 Pk 24
    Mike Wallace Pittsburgh Steelers Rd: 3 Pick 20 (84)
    Johnny Knox CHI Rd 5 Pk 4
    Kenny Britt Tennessee Titans–Rd 1 Pk 30
    Jeremy Maclin PHI Rd 1 Pick 19
    Hakeem Nicks NY Giants–Rd 1 Pk 29
    Crabtree San Francisco 49ers– Rd 1 Pk 10
    Percy Harvin Minnesota Vikings–Rd 1 Pk 22

And last but not least the guy who helped ruin our SB dreams:

Austin Collie Indianapolis Colts–Rd 4 Pk 27

And not one of them was a top 8 pick. We would be smart to draft a WR at some point in our draft.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Mardy Gilyard from Cincinnati for the slot. could probably land him in the late second round. :yes:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwkfF54rAEk&feature=player_embedded[/url]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still don't get why some of you guys want the Jets to use a high pick on a slot receiver. Two of the best slot guys in the game, Wes Welker and Davone Bess, weren't even drafted. Unless you're drafting a guy with the intention of him becoming a flanker like the Steelers will probably do with Mike Wallace, using a high pick on slot receiver is just dumb. Especially when you have real holes at DE, OLB, and safety.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3532164]I still don't get why some of you guys want the Jets to use a high pick on a slot receiver. Two of the best slot guys in the game, Wes Welker and Davone Bess, weren't even drafted. Unless you're drafting a guy with the intention of him becoming a flanker like the Steelers will probably do with Mike Wallace, using a high pick on slot receiver is just dumb. Especially when you have real holes at DE, OLB, and safety.[/QUOTE]

line depth. line depth. line depth. line depth. line depth. line depth. line depth. line depth

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3532164]I still don't get why some of you guys want the Jets to use a high pick on a slot receiver. Two of the best slot guys in the game, Wes Welker and Davone Bess, weren't even drafted. Unless you're drafting a guy with the intention of him becoming a flanker like the Steelers will probably do with Mike Wallace, using a high pick on slot receiver is just dumb. Especially when you have real holes at DE, OLB, and safety.[/QUOTE]

We do have some holes on the line and at safety, but we also have a big gaping hole at slot. We did just sign eric smith and poole for the safety position and BT is still here and our D was number one in the league. Our passing O was far from spectacular and that along with injuries to our CB's costed us the AFC Championship.

I don't see how you can write off the slot position. If we had a good slot last year maybe Sanchez would of had an outlet receiver to dump the ball to instead of forcing it into double coverage all the time. Having LT will help with that but IMO finding a good slot receiver in the draft/RFA will be key to Sanchez finding a rhythm and us going all the way this year. Our D will be good regardless. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tate's value maybe slightly inflated right now but we are not expecting him to be our #1 WR. We are looking for a #3 Slot guy and I think Tate would be fill that bill just fine and could possibly be a playmaker at the position.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3530597]IMO we should stop these pipe dreams and draft somebody on the second day or sign a street UDFA after the draft for the backup slot receiver position.

As for the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see LT lined up there on a lot of plays with Shonn in the backfield[/QUOTE]

I agree with this...we can find one in the draft...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;3531949]Really? I can name 10 rookies WR's last year that made an immediate impact:

Mohamed Massaquoi Cleveland Browns–Rd 2 Pk 18
    Louis Murphy Oakland Raiders– Rd 4 Pk 24
    Mike Wallace Pittsburgh Steelers Rd: 3 Pick 20 (84)
    Johnny Knox CHI Rd 5 Pk 4
    Kenny Britt Tennessee Titans–Rd 1 Pk 30
    Jeremy Maclin PHI Rd 1 Pick 19
    Hakeem Nicks NY Giants–Rd 1 Pk 29
    Crabtree San Francisco 49ers– Rd 1 Pk 10
    Percy Harvin Minnesota Vikings–Rd 1 Pk 22

And last but not least the guy who helped ruin our SB dreams:

Austin Collie Indianapolis Colts–Rd 4 Pk 27

And not one of them was a top 8 pick. We would be smart to draft a WR at some point in our draft.[/QUOTE]

That's true but the '09 draft will probably go down as one of the great WR drafts of all-time like 1996. Normally that's not really the case. I'm not opposed to drafting a receiver but we do have much bigger needs (Safety, LB depth, D-line).

Edwards-Cotchery-Keller is a pretty damn good trio of receivers to have even if we don't have a great slot receiver to go along with them.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO...

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3533160]That's true but the '09 draft will probably go down as one of the great WR drafts of all-time like 1996. Normally that's not really the case. I'm not opposed to drafting a receiver but we do have much bigger needs (Safety, LB depth, D-line).
    [/QUOTE]

yeh- this group of players who'll come off the board starting in round two through round five "is not really the case"...:shakehead

Brandon LaFell LSU
    Marshwan Gilyard Cincinnati
    Taylor Price Ohio
    Eric Decker Minnesota
    Jacoby Ford Clemson
    Carlton Mitchell South Florida
    Andre Roberts Citadel
    Joseph Webb UAB
    Riley Cooper Florida
    Antonio Brown Central Michigan
    Marcus Easley Connecticut
    Kyle Williams Arizona State
    Emmanuel Sanders SMU
    Dezmon Briscoe Kansas
    Vareion Hodge Mississippi
    Freddie Barnes Bowling Green
    Jordan Shipley Texas
    David Reed Utah
    Scott Long Louisville
    Brandon Banks Kansas State
    Blair White Michigan State
    Chris McGaha Arizona State

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Miracle In The Meadowlands;3530871]Where's Savage69's avatar when you need it?[/QUOTE]

draft williams out of u.s.c.he already has a rapor with sanchez.doesnt that make sense?