Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Filling the Slot

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would a run heavy team like the Jets need three good WRs? Once Sanchez figures things out, Keller, Cotchery, and Braylon will be a top 10 set of pass catchers. Hell, Keller basically is just a slot receiver.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3531471]Why would a run heavy team like the Jets need three good WRs? Once Sanchez figures things out, Keller, Cotchery, and Braylon will be a top 10 set of pass catchers. Hell, Keller basically is just a slot receiver.[/QUOTE]

Because you can't drive good run defenses into the groud. Having a balanced passing attack opens up the run game. If you think our receiving core is good as is, then why were they ranked at the bottom last year?

We need 3 good receivers who can all create separation to ease the pressure on Sanchize this year. Our guys made some nice catches last year but none of them were getting a bunch of separation except for Braylon on a few deep balls and maybe Cotch over the middle a couple times.

Look at what Baltimore did, they are stacked at WR right now. Thats what I'm hoping we have by the start of the season, 3 great WR's and a good TE.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;3531476]f you think our receiving core is good as is, then why were they ranked at the bottom last year? [/QUOTE]

Sanchez was really bad at times last year. As a result, the Jets ran the ball much more than they passed. When you're dead last in the league in pass attempts and the guy throwing the ball isn't very good, your pass catchers' numbers will look bad.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ThePenguin;3530950]Jordan Shipley[/QUOTE]

+1

He's Mr. YAC -- had 1,485 yards...for comparison Golden Tate had 1,496 with a better QB throwing deep to him.

Start at 2:09 and listen specifically to Brent Musburger, the play-by-play announcer, at 2:30 and what he says about Shipley during the National Championship Game:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmO--n0o2k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmO--n0o2k[/URL]

At 3:25 that was Shipley's 2nd TD and 10th catch of the night, gotta like that the guy showed up for the big game even with a freshman QB throwing to him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3531484]Sanchez was really bad at times last year. As a result, the Jets ran the ball much more than they passed. When you're dead last in the league in pass attempts and the guy throwing the ball isn't very good, your pass catchers' numbers will look bad.[/QUOTE]

You are right but that is also why we need to give Sanchez as much help as possible if we are going to make a run at the SB. I don't think we have enough talent with our WR core as is to make that run. If we had a Pro-Bowl caliber QB at the helm our current core wouldn't be so bad.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE] Originally Posted by [B]ThePenguin[/B] [URL="http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3530950#post3530950"][IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/images_greenish/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    [I]Jordan Shipley[/I]
    [/QUOTE]+2

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by [B]dassin[/B] [URL="http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3530950#post3530950"][IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/images_greenish/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    He's Mr. YAC -- had 1,485 yards...for comparison Golden Tate had 1,496 with a better QB throwing deep to him.

Start at 2:09 and listen specifically to Brent Musburger, the play-by-play announcer, at 2:30 and what he says about Shipley during the National Championship Game:

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmO--n0o2k[/URL]

At 3:25 that was Shipley's 2nd TD and 10th catch of the night, gotta like that the guy showed up for the big game even with a freshman QB throwing to him. [/QUOTE]I take back my crazy suggestion of TO in another post. This kid Shipley is the real deal. Alabama couldn't stop him. He continued to get separation, seems to run good routes and catches everything thrown to him. Let a rookie like that grow up with Sanchez and we will be set for the next 5-7 years.
    Last edited by OC_Jet; 03-19-2010 at 07:04 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What round is "Wes" shipley projected to be drafted in? Still 4th or 5th as it says at JetsDraftInsider.com?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    TWO THINGS:

1. Golden Tate was taylor made for Schotty's offense. If he is there at 29, I can't imagine us passing.

2. By the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be a whole lot more interesting... :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=One Eye;3531609]TWO THINGS:

1. Golden Tate was taylor made for Schotty's offense. If he is there at 29, I can't imagine us passing.

2. By the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be a whole lot more interesting... :D[/QUOTE]

I'll be shocked if tate is there at 29. If he is, then either take him or trade that pick to another team who covets Tate. I just hope Tanny resists any temptation to move up to get him. Any draft day moves this year should be to trade down and add more picks, not fewer.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally Agree!

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3530805]You still have my all time fav avatar Copenhagen....however. Stuckey is super overated on these forums in my mind.[/QUOTE]

Totally Agree!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those who think we shouldn't stock the WR position with a stud prospect, need I remind you that we had David Clowney as a starting WR in the Oakland game due to injuries? Had we played anyone but Oakland that week I have a feeling more people would remember that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFreak89;3531839]For those who think we shouldn't stock the WR position with a stud prospect, need I remind you that we had David Clowney as a starting WR in the Oakland game due to injuries? Had we played anyone but Oakland that week I have a feeling more people would remember that.[/QUOTE]

Good point JF, depth at WR is something we desperately need. After Edwards and J-Co the drop-off is tremendous. Last season we were left forcing Woodhead into the slot and hoping to get any sort of production out of the Clown.

Now in Chez's second year, I'd like to this offense evolve to combine the ground and pound with Bill Walsh's West Coast passing system which is based primarily on short timing routes and the occasional deep ball...we could call it something like the "B[U]east[/U] Coast Offense" :)

Anyway, in order to take the next step up, a true slot receiver is a crucial component for that to happen and would consistently frustrate defenses with short passes for first downs that might turn into huge gains. We don't need a #1 guy, we have 1A and 1B already so using a first round pick on a guy like Tate doesn't thrill me. However, targeting a guy like Shipley (in the later rounds) who is pretty much destined for the slot role makes a ton of sense to me. A high slot WR prospect would also provide solid depth on ST as well, which especially at PR wasn't all that deep either.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3531484]Sanchez was really bad at times last year. As a result, the Jets ran the ball much more than they passed. When you're dead last in the league in pass attempts and the guy throwing the ball isn't very good, your pass catchers' numbers will look bad.[/QUOTE]

Agree here.
    1. You can't be #1 in rushing and really high in passing.
    2. Edwards and Cotchery were not together for the whole year. Edwards was in 12 games and in two of those, Cotchery was out. Together only 10games. Look at the Jets down the stretch.
    3. Sanchez was not great last year. Fine - he was a rookie. But with a year under his belt AND the continuity of both his WRs together it will make a difference.
    4. The Jets do need a slot. I've stated my preferences and do not think a #1 draft choice is the way to go. Neither is Clowney the choice nor Brad Smith.
    5. The Jets will still be a running team in 2010.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;3531618]I'll be shocked if tate is there at 29. If he is, then either take him or trade that pick to another team who covets Tate. I just hope Tanny resists any temptation to move up to get him. [B]Any draft day moves this year should be to trade down and add more picks, not fewer[/B].[/QUOTE]

Yup.....although I do totally trust Tanny's draft day acumen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't seen Coles play all of last season...but if he still has something left in the tank, I could see him being an EXCELLENT slot reciever.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=One Eye;3531609]TWO THINGS:

2. By the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be a whole lot more interesting... :D[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can justify taking a "Slot" reciever in the first round...unless you have steady plans to move the guy to the wing in a year or two at most.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;3531618][B]I'll be shocked if tate is there at 29.[/B] If he is, then either take him or trade that pick to another team who covets Tate. I just hope Tanny resists any temptation to move up to get him. Any draft day moves this year should be to trade down and add more picks, not fewer.[/QUOTE]

Shocked?? no. Bryant, Berry, Haden being there at #29 would be shocking. Not only will Tate be there, we'll pass on him.

Here's a number of ppl that will be long gone by the time the jets pick[B][U] according [/U][/B]to many of you...

D. Williams
    Graham
    Kindle
    Mathews
    Tate
    Wilson
    D Morgan
    Pierre-Paul
    Bulaga
    T. Williams
    E. Thomas
    Spiller
    McClain

the list goes on. These aren't even top 10 prospects in many mocks, yet none them will be there.. according to you folks.

Explain.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JayTPenny;3531903]I don't think you can justify taking a "Slot" reciever in the first round...unless you have steady plans to move the guy to the wing in a year or two at most.[/QUOTE]

This may be what the FO has in mind, and I think it would be a good move. It frees us up from having to rely on Braylon (a) "getting it" and (b) not wanting a huge contract. If we get a guy who plays the slot next year but has the ability to do more in 2011 and beyond, it gives us great flexibility.

Jet's haven't drafted a WR since Cotch, and even then he was only a 4th ... might be time to go high and get a true long term weapon. Alternatively - if we can get a guy who's as productive as Cotch in the 4th, maybe that's all we need? Given the penchant for ground & pound, this may be the more cost-effective approach.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^productive WRs can be found all over the draft. rnds 4 and up consistly produce NFL starters. Rnd 1 WRs are a roll of the dice as well. Unless his name is Bryant this year, then PASS. we'll find someone later on

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3531918]^productive WRs can be found all over the draft. rnds 4 and up consistly produce NFL starters. Rnd 1 WRs are a roll of the dice as well. Unless his name is Bryant this year, then PASS. we'll find someone later on[/QUOTE]

rookie WR rarely make impacts. It takes years to learn the specific hot routes, getting off the jam, and other skills required of NFL WR. The appeal of a Golden Tate type is he can help on returns and screens right away. But guys like Braylon, Randy Moss and Terry Glenn are exceptions to the rule... most rookie WR are ghosts.