Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: 3/18 Special Teams Mock

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

3/18 Special Teams Mock

One of the ways to get this team to the next level is to to make special teams dominant. Westoff has lost Trusnick, Izzo and now Wallace Wright, this mock is an attempt to emphasize Special Teams in the Draft.
    1. [B]Devin McCourty CB Rutgers[/B]- Devin can handle returns, be a gunner in punt teams, and start as your nickel corner..
    2.[B] Koa Misi OLB/DE Utah[/B]- A Rex guy, high intensity, Trusnick with upside.
    4. [B]Larry Asante Safety Nebraska[/B]- Just a big time hitter at Safety
    5.[B] Phillip Dillard ILB Nebraska[/B]- Going back to Nebraska, maybe Callahan still has a connection, solid ILB, limited upside,the Jets need depth at ILB.
    6. [B]John Connor FB Kentucky[/B]- It is almost impossible to carry two FB's on your roster, but Conner will be that good on special teams. The best blocking FB in this years draft will be Richardson's protege.
    7.[B] Brody Eldridge TE Oklahoma[/B]- If you like pass catching TE's Brody is not your guy ( 2 catches last year, doubling Hartsock's production) but he is a ferocious blocker, has played center, guard and Fullback . The 6'5 265 lb. Eldridge is also a long snapper.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting angle. I doubt the Jets are thinking ST every round, but without a doubt that portion of the roster needs to be addressed big time for the reasons you mentioned. Good post. ST was our Achilles' heel last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vinluvr;3530633]Interesting angle. I doubt the Jets are thinking ST every round, but without a doubt that portion of the roster needs to be addressed big time for the reasons you mentioned. Good post. ST was our Achilles' heel last year.[/QUOTE]

+1
    Our ST was pretty bad last season and with Wright leaving it's looking worst to start off.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You lost me after the first two picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3530763]You lost me after the first two picks.[/QUOTE]

Actually ,since you are a premier poster on this site it is important that I clarify as best I can. The last four picks of Asante, Dillard, Conner and Eldridge are players that I believe will be available, be able to develop into roles on offense and defense, but also have an immediate impact on special teams.
    I do not believe that Graham , Kindle or Hughs will be available at 29. Jets certainly need CB's with the loss of Lito & Strickland, and there is a risk with Cromartie that needs to be hedged. Immediate contribution to Special Teams is at least a partial justification on drafting McCourty at 29.
    I would be interested in your thoughts on drafting players that could contribute to Special Teams in 2010.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetOrange;3530598]One of the ways to get this team to the next level is to to make special teams dominant. Westoff has lost Trusnick, Izzo and now Wallace Wright, this mock is an attempt to emphasize Special Teams in the Draft.
    1. [B]Devin McCourty CB Rutgers[/B]- Devin can handle returns, be a gunner in punt teams, and start as your nickel corner..
    2.[B] Koa Misi OLB/DE Utah[/B]- A Rex guy, high intensity, Trusnick with upside.
    4. [B]Larry Asante Safety Nebraska[/B]- Just a big time hitter at Safety
    5.[B] Phillip Dillard ILB Nebraska[/B]- Going back to Nebraska, maybe Callahan still has a connection, solid ILB, limited upside,the Jets need depth at ILB.
    6. [B]John Connor FB Kentucky[/B]- It is almost impossible to carry two FB's on your roster, but Conner will be that good on special teams. The best blocking FB in this years draft will be Richardson's protege.
    7.[B] Brody Eldridge TE Oklahoma[/B]- If you like pass catching TE's Brody is not your guy ( 2 catches last year, doubling Hartsock's production) but he is a ferocious blocker, has played center, guard and Fullback . The 6'5 265 lb. Eldridge is also a long snapper.[/QUOTE]

JO, I'm not a college FB expert but what I've read I like picks 1, 2, 6...I know you are going the STs route but I'd like a 3-4 DE somewhere.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3530827]JO, I'm not a college FB expert but what I've read I like picks 1, 2, 6...I know you are going the STs route but I'd like a 3-4 DE somewhere.[/QUOTE]

When you look at the age of the Dline, I think it is only prudent to start restocking in that area. Not tendering Douglas and Green says to me that they are looking to open up a roster spot to accomodate the drafting of a DE. I like Ropati Pitoitua, IMO Kroul,Steinkuler and Wright have a chance. The concensus pick, and a very safe pick is Odrick at 29. Lamarr Houston, Arthur Jones and Alualu of Cal would be great at 61, any one of those guys wearing green&White, I'm a happy camper.
    Of course we don't draft again until the late fourth round, I see most of the competent DL guys off the board at that time, the guys left IMHO are not any better than Pito or Kroul etc.
    Your valid arguement for a DE, can also be made for an Offensive Lineman, and to a lesser extent RB & WR. a lot will depend on how the board falls..
    Thanks for your post.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a premier poster? Gtfo...who knew...

I think Conner makes Eldridge unnecessary, but both are solid players. Connor's good...not as good as Rashawn Jackson but he's good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3530965]I'm a premier poster? Gtfo...who knew...

I think Conner makes Eldridge unnecessary, but both are solid players. Connor's good...not as good as Rashawn Jackson but he's good.[/QUOTE]

Premier Poster, absolutely, 7900 posts is one criteria, but IMO it the value that you bring to this board that sets you apart. Besides who would be looking at Duke games checking out Vince O... if not for your good self.
    Rashawn Jackson is a better overall fullback, should go between the 4th and 5th round. Conner better blocker, better ST.
    Eldridge competes against 3rd string TE Matthew Mulligan, better blocker today, once again better special teams. I do not know what the story is with Dearth, but I like the fact that Eldridge can long snap

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Thanks man.