Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seahawks trade for Chargers QB Whitehurst

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Seahawks trade for Chargers QB Whitehurst

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5005254[/url]

The Seattle Seahawks and San Diego Chargers have completed a trade that sends third-string Chargers quarterback Charlie Whitehurst to Seattle for draft picks.

The Seahawks swapped the 40th pick in the second round with San Diego's 60th pick and also will send the Chargers a third-round pick in the 2011 draft.

Seattle, meanwhile, has signed Whitehurst to a two-year, $8 million contract, with $2 million more in incentives.

The Chargers now have three third-round picks in 2011. They earlier acquired the New York Jets' third-round pick next year in exchange for cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

Whitehurst, a restricted free agent with third-round compensation, has had only four NFL snaps and has not thrown a pass in a regular-season game. The Clemson product signed his one-year restricted tender Wednesday, which facilitated the trade, after deciding he preferred to play in Seattle instead of Arizona. Matt Hasselbeck, 34, remains Seattle's starting quarterback, but the 27-year-old Whitehurst could be viewed as the quarterback for the future.

The Cardinals agreed to a contract with former Cleveland Browns quarterback Derek Anderson on Wednesday.

All Pro
    Gonna be real interesting to see how whitehurst looks. he wasn't exactly a slouch coming out of college, and could pull an aaron rodgers after being groomed for so long.

I think this guy makes it lock for SEA to go OT with their first pick
    Last edited by Paradis; 03-18-2010 at 11:47 AM.

looks like clausen may very well be a buffalo bill

I don't know what the hell Seattle is doing with this one.....

What has he proven at the NFL level to be worth moving down 20 picks in the 2nd round, plus a 2011 3rd round pick?

He hasn't thrown a pass in the regular season. Even in the preseason, he had a QB rating of 73.3, 69.0, 62.4, and 37.4 in his 4 years there so he wasn't particuarly impressive there. He couldn't even beat out Billy Volek for the main backup QB job.

I guess they're reaching all the way back to his college film, but the guy was only a 3rd round pick then, and he's lost 4 years of his career rotting on the bench and showing nothing. He should be getting less valuable, not more valuable. I don't get it. I must be missing something.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3530831]I don't know what the hell Seattle is doing with this one.....

What has he proven at the NFL level to be worth moving down 20 picks in the 2nd round, plus a 2011 3rd round pick?

He hasn't thrown a pass in the regular season. Even in the preseason, he had a QB rating of 73.3, 69.0, 62.4, and 37.4 in his 4 years there so he wasn't particuarly impressive there. He couldn't even beat out Billy Volek for the main backup QB job.

I guess they're reaching all the way back to his college film, but the guy was only a 3rd round pick then, and he's lost 4 years of his career rotting on the bench and showing nothing. He should be getting less valuable, not more valuable. I don't get it. I must be missing something.[/QUOTE]

I am also bewildered by what they are giving up. 3rd string QB!? What gives?

i know. is there some weird whitehurst/carroll connection i'm missing?

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3530831]I don't know what the hell Seattle is doing with this one.....

I guess they're reaching all the way back to his college film, but the guy was only a 3rd round pick then, and he's lost 4 years of his career rotting on the bench and showing nothing. He should be getting less valuable, not more valuable. I don't get it. I must be missing something.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you totally.....and its probably the reason Pete Carroll shouldnt be anywhere near a GM job. 20 spots in a loaded 2nd round is ridiculous.

I dont mind attempting to sign/acquire a young player....but why the need for such a big contract? I know the QBs this offseason are being paid ridiculously high (see delhomme 7million) but this is someone who couldnt rise to 2nd string on his old team. If he was so valuable, wouldnt SD let Volek go and pay whitehurst regular backup money?

Plus...what are they using as a basis for evaluation? He barely has any preseaon snaps under his belt, and zero regular season snaps.

i guess that truly means no one wants clemens lol

[QUOTE=augustiniak;3530841]i know. is there some weird whitehurst/carroll connection i'm missing?[/QUOTE]

The only connection I know of is that they both are not good at their current job....

[QUOTE=augustiniak;3530841]i know. is there some weird whitehurst/carroll connection i'm missing?[/QUOTE]

Not that I'm aware of....he didn't even play in the Pac-10. He went to Clemson.

is whitehurst capable of running a west coast offense, isn't his arm weak ala chad?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3530837]I am also bewildered by what they are giving up. 3rd string QB!? What gives?[/QUOTE]

Damn. I know a backup QB that has at least 8 games starting experience they coulda had.

All League
    [QUOTE=crayc;3530849]i guess that truly means no one wants clemens lol[/QUOTE]

Or that the Jets want to keep him. who knows.

All Pro
    still think Clemens ends up in MIN

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3530857]Damn. I know a backup QB that has at least 8 games starting experience they coulda had.[/QUOTE]

lol. Funny and true.

All League
    Going by the outdated pick value sheet, they gave up late 2nd/early 3rd round value for a 27 year old QB that threw 2 attempts 3 years ago.

Well done, Carroll.

[QUOTE=ozu;3530878]Going by the outdated pick value sheet, they gave up late 2nd/early 3rd round value for a 27 year old QB that threw 2 attempts 3 years ago.

Well done, Carroll.[/QUOTE]

if only he were still the Pats coach.

i wasking myself this question when i found out about the trade: "Charlie Whitehurst is in the NFL??" :eek:

Seattle gave up A LOT of value for a total unknown.

Hall Of Fame
    is this the dude who is always standing next to turner with the long hair?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3530906]is this the dude who is always standing next to turner with the long hair?[/QUOTE]

He was... Now he'll be standing next to Pete Carroll...(with the long hair).. I mean "battling" Matt Hassellbeck for the starting job!! :D