Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't we need to address the KOR and PR positions?

Hall Of Fame

Don't we need to address the KOR and PR positions?

On kick-offs, even if Leon comes back at 100%, do we really think the Jets will throw him back out there to risk re-injury? I know there is always a chance for him to reinjure himself, and his leg may actually be a bit stronger after healing, but I think they might want to protect him a bit.

I liked what Brad Smith did last year, he seems to have great field vision, I just can't imagine him being the full-time KOR and taking that pounding for a full season.

On punts, I appreciate that Cotch does the MOST important thing in actually catching the ball, but he's never going to consistently rip off long returns, much less break one. He seems content to fair catch a bit, not the fastest of guys.

Wouldn't mind seeing a dynamic returner back there for both, remember Leon in his prime- seemed like he ran every KO back to the 40 at a minimum.

I hope whomever we take in the draft from the WR, RB or CB positions is a better than proficient return man.

I think Leon's going to be on the decline whether he's 100% or not. This will prob be the final year he is going to be a Jet. Definitely need to address this area.

there are cbs and wrs they may draft who could do this. plus, they have leonard or cotch for punts, and brad smith was a decent fill in for ko returns.

Right now with who they have..if Leon is good to go, throw him back there. Why not? If not, Brad Smith did pretty good imo, I think he would be fine. That's his role on this team, he's yet to step up as an actual WR so this is where you use him.

Same thing with PR...I want Leon back there if he can do it like he used to, it was great when he actually changed field position for us and not just moving it a few yards like Cotchery and Leonhard did.

If Leon's healthy, it's his job again.

If not, I see nothing wrong with Brad Smith having that role. Concerned about him taking the beating? He's a well built 6'2, 210 and we're only talking 50 or so touches (It's not like we use him much as a WR anyways). Maybe another 30 if we put him on punts as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    we do have LARRY TAYLOR under contract. he was a very dynamic PR in the CFL. He is fast and shifty. Reminds me og a healthy Neon Leon.

slot wr

larry taylor will also serve as the slot receiver.... should be an interesting trainign camp..kid can play

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=JStokes;3530829]On kick-offs, even if Leon comes back at 100%, do we really think the Jets will throw him back out there to risk re-injury? I know there is always a chance for him to reinjure himself, and his leg may actually be a bit stronger after healing, but I think they might want to protect him a bit.

I liked what Brad Smith did last year, he seems to have great field vision, I just can't imagine him being the full-time KOR and taking that pounding for a full season.

[B]On punts, I appreciate that Cotch does the MOST important thing in actually catching the ball, but he's never going to consistently rip off long returns, much less break one. He seems content to fair catch a bit, not the fastest of guys.

Wouldn't mind seeing a dynamic returner back there for both, remember Leon in his prime- seemed like he ran every KO back to the 40 at a minimum.

I hope whomever we take in the draft from the WR, RB or CB positions is a better than proficient return man[/B].[/QUOTE]

On punts, Leonhard will in all probability be back there again. He couldn't return at the end of the year because of his thumb, but now that its healthy, he's the primer returner, IMO. Won't reel off huge chunks of yards, but doesn't drop it either.

We need to address the ST as a whole. KOR & PR is just one problem but we had issues tackling on ST all season long. The entire unit needs some fresh blood.

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3530893]we do have LARRY TAYLOR under contract. he was a very dynamic PR in the CFL. He is fast and shifty. Reminds me og a healthy Neon Leon.[/QUOTE]

this is an underrated signing

would also add auntrae allison will get a shot at KR

Rookie
    Option #1- Draft Golden Tate in the 1st Round
    Option #2- Draft Jordan Shipley in 4th Round

All Pro
    I like Brad Smith returning kicks -- he's more than adequate in that department. And I'm not concerned one bit about him taking a pounding. He's the 4th WR/gadget player. If he's not returning kicks, he doesn't have a whole lot of value.

Regarding Leon: If he's not healthy enough to return kicks, he's not healthy enough to play. Period. He's a dynamic player in the open field, and if his injury is significantly limiting his explosiveness, he's worthless.

As for punt return duties, that is something that needs addressed. I would like to see what that CFL guy can do, but he has to be able to do more than just return punts to have a spot on the active gameday roster. That should also be Leon's job if he's healthy enough. Maybe Brad can return punts, too. I wouldn't count on it though.

I have a feeling that they are going to draft an offensive playmaker in the 1st 2 rounds -- that guy might also help in the return game.

All Pro
    B SMITH, L WASHINGTON, J COTCHERY, J LEONHARD, D REVIS, A CROMARTIE, ... have allll kicked returned/ and or punt returned

[QUOTE=greenhorse;3531025]larry taylor will also serve as the slot receiver.... should be an interesting trainign camp..kid can play[/QUOTE]

He should be strictly a KR. He wasn't really a receiving threat in the CFL.

All League
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3530829]On kick-offs, even if Leon comes back at 100%, do we really think the Jets will throw him back out there to risk re-injury? I know there is always a chance for him to reinjure himself, and his leg may actually be a bit stronger after healing, but I think they might want to protect him a bit.

On punts, I appreciate that Cotch does the MOST important thing in actually catching the ball, but he's never going to consistently rip off long returns, much less break one. He seems content to fair catch a bit, not the fastest of guys.

I hope whomever we take in the draft from the WR, RB or CB positions is a better than proficient return man.[/QUOTE]
    if healthy, leon will return kickoffs. leonhard was supposed to return punts last year, but got banged up and was limited in that role. i assume washington as kr and leonhard as pr. brad smith would be the backup kr as he's kind of the multi-purpose guy. he did well in leon's absence anyway. i don't think we need to worry about smith taking a beating as kr if he ends up there. it's not like he's carrying the ball 25 times and doing returns. he gets about 5 or 6 touches a game. adding kr duties would not be a stretch.
    Last edited by Zombo; 03-18-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    How about Punter?

All League
    If Leons healthy then Kick Returns should be his job to lose.

With Greene and LT, Leon won't be getting a ton of touches anyways on offense, and I'm assuming for the money he will be getting paid (if he stays) is too much for just a 3rd down/spell guy so he will need to make some plays on STs to earn his keep. Brad Smith did a very good job for us returning KOs as well and wouldn't mind him getting some reps back there.

As for punt returner I think we need some new blood, whether its the CFL guy or a rookie. J-Co is no threat for a big play back there just a sure pair of hands and Leonhard is very valuable on defense and isn't a great return man either (prob average at best). Someone posted let Revis and Cromartie return some but that's not happening as they are WAY too valuable on defense and if they got injured returning a punt there would be every single poster here calling for someones head for putting them back there in the first place.

IMO could also use another gunner and coverage ace as well with the loss of Wallace Wright.
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 03-18-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    See, it's the punt thing more than the KOR thing, because at the end of the day, I think a mix of Leon and B Smith would be great. Just concerned that the don't want to put Leon in any more harms way then necessary, and as big as Smith's measurables are, he still looks like a lanky player to me. Open field running is outstanding, just don't know it he can take the pounding.

But on punt returns, I just don't see Cotch or Leonard as WEAPONS. They are sure-handed and will either fair-catch or gaina few. But not threats.

I think we are starting to fill out this roster quite nicely, I'd like to see them add a player that could potentially be a real weapon back there on punts. Somebody that they have to kick away from and cause shanks. Someone that is going to score on occasion or certainly rip off some huge gainers and turn the field advantage our way.

Really hoping whomever we draft can do that.

All League
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;3530836]there are cbs and wrs they may draft who could do this. plus, they have leonard or cotch for punts, and brad smith was a decent fill in for ko returns.[/QUOTE]

If we have to watch Cotch return punts for another season I am going to shoot myself. He is a great receiver but a terrible punt/kick returner.

All League
    [QUOTE=SMC;3531144]How about Punter?[/QUOTE]

That is a great idea. Weatherford is terrible.