Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Kellen Clemens be a Jet for the 2010 season?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3531015]At this point Clemens will be on the roster unless the Jets bring in a veteran to replace him.[/QUOTE]

i disagree

Hall Of Fame
    i think he's here to push ainge and oconnell and then wiull be a last cut casualty

cutting him now is a bad move in term sof veteran presence for the team, its also a disservice to him in case he has an opportunity to land somewhere else

[QUOTE]
    Originally Posted by hatnlvr
    At this point Clemens will be on the roster unless the Jets bring in a veteran to replace him.
    [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3531031]i disagree[/QUOTE]

... i disagree with your disagreement ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

While I agree KC stinks on ice he beat the Buc's and Greenbay and the Saints didn't.. Any given week insanity can happen in the NFL..:eek:

All League
    there should be no rush to cut clemens. keep him until the end of training camp at least. this way, it can be determined if ainge or o'connell is ready to be the backup with the other guy as the #3. if not, clemens is at least a serviceable backup for now unless something infinitely better falls in the jets' lap.

[QUOTE=ljr@work;3531071]... i disagree with your disagreement ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

i agree with your disagreement of the previous disagreeing statement on the issue of Kellen Clemens.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3531114]i agree with your disagreement of the previous disagreeing statement on the issue of Kellen Clemens.[/QUOTE]

i disagree with your agreement on the disagreement of the previous disagreement.

[QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3531124]i disagree with your agreement on the disagreement of the previous disagreement.[/QUOTE]

well, i consulted with myself and we both agree that you're wrong.

hey, whatever about clemens. he's been there long enough to be a super-sub but he isn't. no great loss if he's cut though it would be much better is the jets could get something for him. as for ainge and oconnell, they're still unknowns so they may surprise.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3530914]We all (me as well) though it impossible....but he's not cut yet.

Is there a chance that despite what we think of him (i.e. sucky failure) that Shotty and Co. are higher on him as the #2 than we could imagine?

I have to admit, you all know I fall for QB's like Clemens (Ramsey for example), but I came to agree with the majority that he is unworthy, given the opportunities he's had and how little he's done with them (a la Ramsey and so many like them).

But with that said, I am kinda shocked he is still on the team, and wasn't simply outright cut. We've seen the market....he has no value, does he?

So why is he still here? Is it possible he could be a Jets for 2010, which would almost guarantee he would remain the #2?

I wouldn't have thunk it, but....[/QUOTE]

The fact that he's still here does sort of tell the story. One would have to think that if anybody offered a reasonable pick, he'd be a goner considering they're carrying 4 QBs at the moment.

At the same time, his presence could also be an indictment of Ainge and O'Connell.

I don't think it makes that much sense to just cut KC. He's not making much money and this is his last year under contract.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Mean Bro Green;3531039]i think he's here to push ainge and oconnell and then wiull be a last cut casualty

[B]cutting him now is a bad move in term sof veteran presence for the team, its also a disservice to him in case he has an opportunity to land somewhere else[/B][/QUOTE]

Isn't keeping him with no intention of going into the season with him on the roster a much greater disservice than just cutting him now?

If he does in fact have an opportunity to compete for the starting gig in St. Louis or Carolina or wherever, getting cut now and signed ASAP is best for both the player and the new team.

All League
    Well IMO there is no need to have 4 QBs on our roster this year, so one of them should go.

I personally like Ainge and am excited to see how he performs in training camp and the preseason to see if he's ready to be the backup. Don't know much about O'Connell but the Jets must like him if they traded a draft pick for him (6th or 7th?) So I guess that leaves Clemens as the odd man out.

I don't think it makes sense to cut him now, they should atleast keep him to compete with Ainge and O'Connell in training camp for the #2 spot, and if one of them steps up we can try to trade him for a late round pick (which probably won't attract much suiters) or release him. If no one steps up to be the backup you gotta keep Clemens till we can pick up a veteran incase Sanchez goes down for a game or two to hold the fort down.

As bad as Clemens is or disappointing, he still is the guy that gives us the best chance to win on our roster if Sanchez gets banged up.

Hall Of Fame
    Clemens..one of Tanny's clunkers...

It's unfair to put Clemens in this company but due to why and where he was drafted he has certainly been dissapointing:

Clemens (06), Schlegal (06), Gholston (08). Not bad in 4 drafts

in all seriousness, if guys like Ratliff, O'Connell, and Charlie flippin' Whitehurst can get traded, then Clemens certainly can.

Tanny's probably saving him to use as a throw-in during a draft day trade.

he'd be all like, "Fine, fine. You're twisting my arm here, but we'll give you Kellen Clemens and call it a deal. OK?" :D

[QUOTE=hatnlvr;3531015]At this point Clemens will be on the roster unless the Jets bring in a veteran to replace him.[/QUOTE]

Bring back Pennington to mentor Sanchez...

Oh, wait :O!

All League
    I don't think the Jets would go into the season with Ainge & O'Connell as the backups, so I think Clemens will be the backup this coming year. I like Clemens, and still have faith in him, despite the growing number of Jet fans who don't.

My guess is the Jets will try to manufacture interest in him similar to what they did with Brooks Bollinger a few years back. Bollinger, who was terrible, was written up as if he was right up there for the QB job in 2006, when he was a distant third and probably 4th on the depth chart. I think they got a 7th for him. By giving KC a third round tender they are already stating that this is his worth and that the Jets see him as a backup for a high first round QB, meaning he would be the starter if the Jets were no so lucky to have drafted Sanchez. Maybe it works. I find it hard to believe they pay him over a million when the Jets were clearly looking to cut costs on players they did not feel were worth the extra expenditure.

[QUOTE=Jason423;3531191]My guess is the Jets will try to manufacture interest in him similar to what they did with Brooks Bollinger a few years back. Bollinger, who was terrible, was written up as if he was right up there for the QB job in 2006, when he was a distant third and probably 4th on the depth chart. I think they got a 7th for him. By giving KC a third round tender they are already stating that this is his worth and that the Jets see him as a backup for a high first round QB, meaning he would be the starter if the Jets were no so lucky to have drafted Sanchez. Maybe it works. I find it hard to believe they pay him over a million when the Jets were clearly looking to cut costs on players they did not feel were worth the extra expenditure.[/QUOTE]

that's a very good point.

i think the Jets will try to use him instead of our 5-6-7 round picks when Tanny's trading up/down on draft day.

[QUOTE=Jason423;3531191]My guess is the Jets will try to manufacture interest in him similar to what they did with Brooks Bollinger a few years back. Bollinger, who was terrible, was written up as if he was right up there for the QB job in 2006, when he was a distant third and probably 4th on the depth chart. I think they got a 7th for him. By giving KC a third round tender they are already stating that this is his worth and that the Jets see him as a backup for a high first round QB, meaning he would be the starter if the Jets were no so lucky to have drafted Sanchez. Maybe it works. I find it hard to believe they pay him over a million when the Jets were clearly looking to cut costs on players they did not feel were worth the extra expenditure.[/QUOTE]

The Jets gave Clemens the lowest offer they could, no?

The only reason the compensation is so high is because of his draft status.