Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Kellen Clemens be a Jet for the 2010 season?

Will Kellen Clemens be a Jet for the 2010 season?

We all (me as well) though it impossible....but he's not cut yet.

Is there a chance that despite what we think of him (i.e. sucky failure) that Shotty and Co. are higher on him as the #2 than we could imagine?

I have to admit, you all know I fall for QB's like Clemens (Ramsey for example), but I came to agree with the majority that he is unworthy, given the opportunities he's had and how little he's done with them (a la Ramsey and so many like them).

But with that said, I am kinda shocked he is still on the team, and wasn't simply outright cut. We've seen the market....he has no value, does he?

So why is he still here? Is it possible he could be a Jets for 2010, which would almost guarantee he would remain the #2?

I wouldn't have thunk it, but....

The Jets have 4 Qb's,IMO they would deal Clemens ,Ainge or O'Connell for value. There is no reason to cut any of them until camp opens. Clemens needs to go, but is mentoring of Sanchez and his knowledge of the system may keep him around.

[QUOTE=JetOrange;3530931]The Jets have 4 Qb's,IMO they would deal Clemens ,Ainge or O'Connell for value. There is no reason to cut any of them until camp opens. Clemens needs to go, but is mentoring of Sanchez and his knowledge of the system may keep him around.[/QUOTE]

sanchez knows the system infinitely better than KC at this point, the Bucs game was all anyone needed to see.

Better the Devil you know

[QUOTE=Warfish;3530914]We all (me as well) though it impossible....but he's not cut yet.

Is there a chance that despite what we think of him (i.e. sucky failure) that Shotty and Co. are higher on him as the #2 than we could imagine?

I have to admit, you all know I fall for QB's like Clemens (Ramsey for example), but I came to agree with the majority that he is unworthy, given the opportunities he's had and how little he's done with them (a la Ramsey and so many like them).

But with that said, I am kinda shocked he is still on the team, and wasn't simply outright cut. We've seen the market....he has no value, does he?

So why is he still here? Is it possible he could be a Jets for 2010, which would almost guarantee he would remain the #2?

I wouldn't have thunk it, but....[/QUOTE]

Even though Clemens hasn't shown much, the idea of having him around another season isn't all that bad. With our offense based on a sound running game the need for a game manager is that is required. I know he looked horrible during the Tampa game, but he did just enough to win.

Looking at it from a business standpoint, If someone tenders him, then you let him go. If not you keep him one more year. You get another year for either Ainge or O'Connell to step up as the #2QB and then you cut him next year. Now this is all based on the idea that Ainge or O'Connell havent proved to the coaching staff they are ready.

If one or both are ready, then I believe Clemens will be gone during Training camp or just before.

[QUOTE=dassin;3530939]sanchez knows the system infinitely better than KC at this point, the Bucs game was all anyone needed to see.[/QUOTE]

Not true. Clemens just can't execute it that doesn't mean he doesn't know it. Big difference.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3530944]Not true. Clemens just can't execute it that doesn't mean he doesn't know it. Big difference.[/QUOTE]

lol, stole my thunder

[QUOTE=C Mart;3530944]Not true. Clemens just can't execute it that doesn't mean he doesn't know it. Big difference.[/QUOTE]

Umm, ok.

All Pro
    There is really no reason to cut him at this point because there is nothing to gain. At worst, he'll be an extra arm during training camp, and he provides insurance in case one of the other QB's on the roster is injured.

When Sanchez was benched due to injury for the Tampa Bay game last season, our offensive game plan spoke volumes about the coaching staff's confidence in Clemens. It was one of the most conservative game plans I've seen since the 2005 Baltimore game after Chad and Fiedler went down. Our offense was completely handcuffed, and the ball was kept out of Clemens' hands as much as possible.

Every move the organization has made in regards to the QB position since Clemens was drafted has pointed to a complete lack of confidence in Clemens. In my mind, he is as good as gone, but there is literally nothing to gain by cutting him now.

[QUOTE=dassin;3530952]Umm, ok.[/QUOTE]

Put Namath in Jet meetings for 2010. He'll know the system. Then put him on the field. He won't be able to execute it.

Dealing players for value

I have seen this alot lately, but it has been used on players who have no value. I said in a previous post that if clemens is signed by another team you let him go.

but realistically none of our QB's have any value whatsoever. Ainge and O'connell have taken very few regular season snaps and clemens has had a rough time when he does step in to QB.

What value would we get for these players at this point? We can hope that Holmgren goes on vacation and while he is away Mangini deals with us, or we find some other sucker out there.

NFL trades are more complex than people think. Logically speaking, If we think clemens stinks so bad, (and at times he has stunk up the place) then why do we think someone, (other than mangini), will pony up any type of trade value for him.

ok vent over.

I kinda see him competing against Ainge and O'Connell come camp, but not to state the obvious, but if those guys could unseat Clemens, they probably would have already.

I also think someones first start in 2 years might not be the best evaluation tool. He was obviously rusty....not that he's all that great when he's in a rythem anyways.

... i have all offseason & continue to expect our front office to bring in a servicable average veteran to replace KC as backup ...

... agree with all those stating - until that happens no reason to cut him ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3530956]Put Namath in Jet meetings for 2010. He'll know the system. Then put him on the field. He won't be able to execute it.[/QUOTE]

to make it more accurate, imagine schotty trying to play qb next year...

at this point, and until something changes, Kellen Clemens is the only backup QB we have with any game experience.

he might suck, he does suck, but until something changes, he fills the "veteran backup" role.

as we've all come to learn and love about Mike Tannenbaum, is that sometimes "something changes" pretty quickly :)

[QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3530963]to make it more accurate, imagine schotty trying to play qb next year...[/QUOTE]

Correct. Thanks

[QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3530963]to make it more accurate, imagine schotty trying to play qb next year...[/QUOTE]

That makes more sense, but Schotty is 36 years old and is paid to develop/coach the system but not execute it. To say that we should keep KC because he knows the the offense is ridiculous. Schotty and Sanchez both have a better handle on the offense than KC, he's expendable because he can not execute (when he needs to), which is why he is kept on the active roster...he's not the QB coach.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=dassin;3530971]That makes more sense, but Schotty is 36 years old and is paid to develop/coach the system but not execute it. To say that we should keep KC because he knows the the offense is ridiculous. Schotty and Sanchez both have a better handle on the offense than KC, he's expendable because he can not execute which is what he's paid to do.[/QUOTE]

that's fair and i think 95% of jets fans will agree with you... which is sad

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Warfish;3530914]We all (me as well) though it impossible....but he's not cut yet.

All I know is that if we keep 4 QBs on our roster again, I'll be very annoyed. I can see the rationale for keeping 4 the past 2 years (even if I didn't agree with it), but there is no reason to be keeping 4 this year.

It stands to reason that Kellen should be the one going. If someone offered us a pick for him, that would be fantastic. Not holding my breath for that though.

All Pro

I think if he has not currently not been moved the Jets intend on bringing him back. Why they carry four QB's is beyond me.

At this point Clemens will be on the roster unless the Jets bring in a veteran to replace him.