Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: Why America Never Fell in Love with Soccer

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I'm prepared to get killed for this, but here goes:

    Soccer is a dead-end sport for kids here in America. Think about it. There are exceptions --Let me make that clear-- there are exceptions, but most American kids that join soccer, did because they weren't good enough, tough enough, or talented enough to play Baseball, Football, and Basketball. OR Their parents couldn't stand the "pressure" of watching their kids fail at those sports... so they put them on a local soccer team, and enjoy the "fun" and eat oranges while their kid is aimlessly running around.

    Yes, many of them become really good at it. Play HS & maybe even College. Then what? It's gone in a flash, because there is no back-bone to the sport in America. No frickin equivalent of MLB, NFL, NBA, and even NHL.

    I actually have more to say, but gotta hit the submit reply button, and go back to work...fire away...
    It's a growing sport in the US.

    Remember, the MLS is only 15 years old. It's a very young league. The current generation of US National Team players were all raised with the idea that the US goes to the World Cup, the US has a soccer league, and so on.

    The whole idea that the players who play soccer in college are the same kids who ran around in circles playing AYSO is a totally outdated and ridiculous concept. 6-9 year olds who couldn't play soccer don't magically start playing high school soccer. The best American athletes often don't play soccer, that part is true. But, I do believe you will see more athletes play soccer for various reasons.

    1) MLS - Yes it's mostly unwatched and forgotten, but it still gets coverage
    2) ESPN and Fox Sports covering Soccer - This is huge, EPL, La Liga, Champions Leauge. The best soccer players in the world are now playing on tv
    3) The World Cup - The US didn't play in the world cup from 1950 - 1990. The US has had some setbacks, but every world cup, soccer gets a huge bump in popularity, then subsides, somewhat. However, soccer after each world cup has been more popular than before.
    4) The concussion issue - the amount of dangerous injuries in HS football is a problem, and will continue to be one. Beware the lawsuits for concussions that follow.

    Soccer will not be more popular than baseball, football, or basketball. But, if you honestly think that soccer is just going to go away now then you are wrong.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,708
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Now that's ignorance.

    Guess what? All sports are a dead-end endeavor for MOST kids. Out of all the kids playing in little league and pop warner football, how many do you think will actually make it to the MLB and the NFL? I'd say less than 1%.
    The number will be way below 1 %.

    Why is it so important that America like soccer? We already have a love for one dull sport. We don't need another

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    The number will be way below 1 %.

    Why is it so important that America like soccer? We already have a love for one dull sport. We don't need another
    It's not important, you can like whatever you want. It's just interesting that soccer is a sport accepted by virtually the entire world except for America.

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,068
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Soccer was hugely popular at my high school, and always got a pretty big fan draw. We played for a lot of state championships too.

    Our school appreciated winning, and athletic prowess, and domination over other schools, so the players were never ridiculed.
    My school and town have been dominant in soccer from 1975 up until now, but mostly when I was in HS, and prior with State Championships etc. We football players joked about the soccer players, and thats what I mean..athletic prowess, c'mon. All the guys with athletic prowess for the most part are not American.....Rinaldo, Pirlo, Rooney ...I'm not going to pretend I know a lot, but, I do know this those guys make the American players look like girls the way they play...entertainment vs. boring. Not trying to start anything I'm on the outside looking in.

  5. #25
    If the NBA has a lockout the same time as the NFL in 2011, Soccer has a chance to capitalize on the American market.

    As long as the best players are playing in Europe and not in the states it is tough for the casual fan to follow the sport. The premier CL games are on at 2:45 in the afternoon, when most people are in work/school. I can see why most Americans say that soccer is boring, that there isn't enough action, I get that but there is something to be said about the fact that the game is 90 minutes + stoppage time and that's it. You can set aside 2 hours and watch a game without worrying about timeouts, or extra innings, etc.

    I used to say that soccer was boring, but when you watch a guy like Messi play, every time he touches the ball he can do something magical, the skill of these upper eschelon guys is amazing.

  6. #26

    Why Soccer

    I once read an article that said one of the reasons soccer is so popular is that it was a poor kids sport. It went on to say that no equipment was needed, not even a ball. American sports require expensive equipment but soccer can be played with whatever is around.

    The article went on to talk about kids using pine cones, rolled up cloth, whatever was handy.

    I also read how most American sports are eye-hand coordinated events which stated increases the speed of the sport. There was a time during the mid to late 80s that most of the improved big men in basketball credited playing soccer, (eye-foot coordination) as a younger athlete. This allowed them better skills in their foot work and therefore made them even better in the American sports.

    To be honest I am fan of all sports. Anything that breeds competition is good for me. I recently found that out by watching the American curling team stink up the joint during the Olympics.

    Oh to live in a country that we have enough free time to enjoy sports and put our lives into it the way we do is truly a blessing.

  7. #27
    I don't understand the hate either. I went to 2 high schools growing up: the first where soccer was hated (from the coaches down to the students), and the 2nd where soccer was king (and the football team was made up of the leftover athletes that couldn't make the soccer team). Football was embraced at the 2nd school, but not nearly on the level as soccer.

    I think culture has alot to do with it, but not in the national sense. Football in America has gained such a following because of the culture that surrounds it. The tailgates, the bbq's, history, MNF, the Superbowl, etc. Everyone, rich and poor, young and old, can participate at some level because everyone here knows when their next game is played, and their TEAM/CLUB is fairly easy to follow.

    Soccer everywhere else in the world has a similar culture (at least that's my understanding of it). Places like Seattle have tried to embrace or create that kind of culture. There was a great article posted here awhile back about Seattle and what they're trying to accomplish. The folks running the show in there seem to get it.

    Stats have gotten out of control. I was a diehard baseball fan growing up. Baseball WAS Americas game because of the culture that surrounded it. After the umpteenth strike, steroids, the transformation to the 'home run derby' game, and the constant barrage of being sold something everytime I go to the park has made MLB an occasional distraction for me. I guess some are ok with it, but it's not for me anymore.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,185
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Now that's ignorance.

    Guess what? All sports are a dead-end endeavor for MOST kids. Out of all the kids playing in little league and pop warner football, how many do you think will actually make it to the MLB and the NFL? I'd say less than 1%.
    I wasn't talking about making it to the pros. I was talking about the continuation of the game that you love. Watching it, teaching it, coaching it, reading about it, talking about it, passing it down to your kids, talking about it with your father, and maybe JOINING AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD....

    capeche?

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I'm prepared to get killed for this, but here goes:

    Soccer is a dead-end sport for kids here in America. Think about it. There are exceptions --Let me make that clear-- there are exceptions, but most American kids that join soccer, did because they weren't good enough, tough enough, or talented enough to play Baseball, Football, and Basketball. OR Their parents couldn't stand the "pressure" of watching their kids fail at those sports... so they put them on a local soccer team, and enjoy the "fun" and eat oranges while their kid is aimlessly running around.

    Yes, many of them become really good at it. Play HS & maybe even College. Then what? It's gone in a flash, because there is no back-bone to the sport in America. No frickin equivalent of MLB, NFL, NBA, and even NHL.

    I actually have more to say, but gotta hit the submit reply button, and go back to work...fire away...
    WOW this is dumb...

    This girl I hang out with once and a while (smoking hot) her older brothers name is Giuseppe Rossi. He played soccer at Clifton High School in Clifton, NJ. You know what he went on to do? He played for Manchester United before going to play for Villarreal in Spain. He's also on Italy's National team. The idea that a kid growing up in the US can't go on and do great things with soccer being the engine is ignorant. Plain and simple.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-19-2010 at 07:11 PM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Maybe that's why I like soccer. I hate statistics. One of the most annoying things in the world is listening to a couple of baseball nerds argue about WHIP and OBP and why they can't get laid.


    I may be a baseball nerd, but I get laid! Don't worry bout that.

  11. #31
    Great game in my opinion.

    But as far as in U.S? Simply not enough scoring. Sad, but that's the reason.

    Also we LOVE fantastic finishes. We are programmed to believe "great games" are the ones that come down to the wire.

    NBA team down by 20 in 3rd quarter is still in it.

    MLB team down 4-0 in ninth can still pull it out.

    NFL team down by 17 starting the 4th quarter is still in it.

    Soccer score is 2-0 and its over. And if its close? Shoots our a JOKE.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I wasn't talking about making it to the pros. I was talking about the continuation of the game that you love. Watching it, teaching it, coaching it, reading about it, talking about it, passing it down to your kids, talking about it with your father, and maybe JOINING AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD....

    capeche?
    You can do all that with soccer. Of course, because the pro game in the US sucks, it's a little more difficult.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    WOW this is dumb...

    This girl I hang out with once and a while (smoking hot) her older brothers name is Giuseppe Rossi. He played soccer at Clifton High School in Clifton, NJ. You know what he went on to do? He played for Manchester United before going to play for Villarreal in Spain. He's also on Italy's National team. The idea that a kid growing up in the US can't go on and do great things with soccer being the engine is ignorant. Plain and simple.
    You hang out with Rossi's sister? That's pretty cool. You should totally get a signed Italy shirt and then, you know, send it to me.

  14. #34
    Very interesting article.

    My HS was similar to some of the guys here. Soccer was king. My school absolutely sucked at basketball and football, was average to above average in baseball, and was phenomenal at soccer. In my 4 years at the school, they were in the State Championship 3 of them, winning the first two and losing the third. One of the kids on the team went on to St. John's, a great soccer program, and started as a Freshman. He graduated last year and is now on the Red Bull reserve squad, I believe. Several other players went on to play either Division 1 or for very strong Division 2 programs. My high school was very small and played in the smallest group (Group 4 I believe?) so it's pretty amazing that we were so dominant in soccer and so stacked with talent. We used to play Blair Academy every year, which is a pretty well know private school some here may know of, and would beat the piss out of them every year.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,650
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    I don't understand the hate either. I went to 2 high schools growing up: the first where soccer was hated (from the coaches down to the students), and the 2nd where soccer was king (and the football team was made up of the leftover athletes that couldn't make the soccer team). Football was embraced at the 2nd school, but not nearly on the level as soccer.

    I think culture has alot to do with it, but not in the national sense. Football in America has gained such a following because of the culture that surrounds it. The tailgates, the bbq's, history, MNF, the Superbowl, etc. Everyone, rich and poor, young and old, can participate at some level because everyone here knows when their next game is played, and their TEAM/CLUB is fairly easy to follow.

    Soccer everywhere else in the world has a similar culture (at least that's my understanding of it). Places like Seattle have tried to embrace or create that kind of culture. There was a great article posted here awhile back about Seattle and what they're trying to accomplish. The folks running the show in there seem to get it.

    Stats have gotten out of control. I was a diehard baseball fan growing up. Baseball WAS Americas game because of the culture that surrounded it. After the umpteenth strike, steroids, the transformation to the 'home run derby' game, and the constant barrage of being sold something everytime I go to the park has made MLB an occasional distraction for me. I guess some are ok with it, but it's not for me anymore.
    that's the problem for me. i want to follow soccer like i follow the jets. i want to have a team. i want to know about every transaction. i want to know about the weaknesses for my team and know about players not on the team that could help those weaknesses. i want to see a coaching change, and debate every angle of that change to death, down to how his eating habits can hurt the team. but i can't. lack of coverage hurts the league way too much and i hardly know what's going on.

    i REALLY hope they go all in in 2011 when the nfl and nba are both locked out. i wanna see espn cover it like never before. i wanna see the mls make a strong push to explain the game to people outside of the fandom. give us the john madden announcers where diehard soccer fans put their palm on their forehead cause the explanations are so elementary. and PRODUCTION. make the commercials powerful and exciting and professional quality. make the in-game production top notch too (if you wanna hear a difference in in-game production quality, listen to the difference between a CBS game and an NFL Network game. watching games on cbs is incredible and i love nfl network, but the game sounds awful live. no crowd noise and very little physical contact noise. it's mainly just the announcers and refs. very boring). wire some players up. make sure the crowd sounds as big as ever. they really have a chance here to embrace the opportunity and take some huge steps forward, and i hope they do.

    rant/speech over. i honestly don't know what i just did there, or why i did it, but i'm sticking with it.

  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,068
    If some Italian teams, or English teams were gonna play in our new house I would go, but all I got was an email from the Jets about Mexico and someone....

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    WOW this is dumb...

    This girl I hang out with once and a while (smoking hot) her older brothers name is Giuseppe Rossi. He played soccer at Clifton High School in Clifton, NJ. You know what he went on to do? He played for Manchester United before going to play for Villarreal in Spain. He's also on Italy's National team. The idea that a kid growing up in the US can't go on and do great things with soccer being the engine is ignorant. Plain and simple.
    Benedict Arnold. He should be playing up top with Altidore.

  18. #38
    I don't like soccer at all but I don't have a hatred for it(I have a hatred for golf)

    I think it will grow in popularity,but will never become a top tier sport in America

    I think it can be a top ten sport in popularity

    Here is where I see the rank of popular sports in 15 years

    1.NFL
    2.MLB
    3,COLLEGE FOOTBALL
    4.MMA(NOT A HUGE FAN BUT IT'S EXPLODING IN POPULARITY
    5.NBA
    6.COLLEGE BASKETBALL(OBVIOUSLY IN MARCH IT EXPLODES
    7.NASCAR
    8.GOLF(A LOT DEPENDS ON TIGER THIS COULD MOVE UP OR DOWN
    9.MLS-THIS IS WHERE I COULD SEE MLS RANK
    10.NHL
    Last edited by IHATEDOLPHINS; 03-20-2010 at 11:20 AM.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    6,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Hustle View Post
    ignorance

    Its because the US has better sports

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    Its because the US has better sports
    Have you seen the EPL?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us