Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why America Never Fell in Love with Soccer

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    I don't like soccer at all but I don't have a hatred for it(I have a hatred for golf)

I think it will grow in popularity,but will never become a top tier sport in America

I think it can be a top ten sport in popularity

Here is where I see the rank of popular sports in 15 years

1.NFL
    2.MLB
    3,COLLEGE FOOTBALL
    4.MMA(NOT A HUGE FAN BUT IT'S EXPLODING IN POPULARITY
    5.NBA
    6.COLLEGE BASKETBALL(OBVIOUSLY IN MARCH IT EXPLODES
    7.NASCAR
    8.GOLF(A LOT DEPENDS ON TIGER THIS COULD MOVE UP OR DOWN
    9.MLS-THIS IS WHERE I COULD SEE MLS RANK
    10.NHL
    MLS will never do as well as the NHL without top stars. Even if you don't like hockey, the NHL has all the best hockey players in the world with the exception of Jagr and Radulov. If you enjoy the sport, you are going to watch the NHL. With soccer, the best talent is in England and Spain with a few scattered in Italy/Germany/Portugal.

MLS is heading towards a lockout right now but as currently made up it is basically a league for older stars and young US talent. Once that young talent blooms, they are on the next plane to England/Italy/Germany etc.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Have you seen the EPL?

I have watched English soccer and European soccer and they can keep it there. I much prefer the sports we have here.

MLS will never do as well as the NHL without top stars. Even if you don't like hockey, the NHL has all the best hockey players in the world with the exception of Jagr and Radulov. If you enjoy the sport, you are going to watch the NHL. With soccer, the best talent is in England and Spain with a few scattered in Italy/Germany/Portugal.

MLS is heading towards a lockout right now but as currently made up it is basically a league for older stars and young US talent. Once that young talent blooms, they are on the next plane to England/Italy/Germany etc.
    That's the thing about the MLS, it's not even in the top 10 in terms of talent. That's a problem for Americans, we don't like watching minor league soccer. That being said, soccer has been incredibly popular for new teams, Seattle drew 30,000 a game last year. The MLS will be a niche league in the US, which is fine.

As long as the EPL and best soccer leagues are shown on the ESPN's and Fox Sports, soccer will become a more popular sport for athletes.

As for the strike/lockout. They've reached a deal. The MLS will start the season as planned. More so than in any other sport, the MLS had to avert a strike.

Benedict Arnold. He should be playing up top with Altidore.
    With a name like Giuseppe Rossi, I think you're obligated to play for Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Very interesting article.

My HS was similar to some of the guys here. Soccer was king. My school absolutely sucked at basketball and football, was average to above average in baseball, and was phenomenal at soccer. In my 4 years at the school, they were in the State Championship 3 of them, winning the first two and losing the third. One of the kids on the team went on to St. John's, a great soccer program, and started as a Freshman. He graduated last year and is now on the Red Bull reserve squad, I believe. Several other players went on to play either Division 1 or for very strong Division 2 programs. My high school was very small and played in the smallest group (Group 4 I believe?) so it's pretty amazing that we were so dominant in soccer and so stacked with talent. We used to play Blair Academy every year, which is a pretty well know private school some here may know of, and would beat the piss out of them every year.
    My HS baseball team played Blair, they were awful.

Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    I don't like soccer at all but I don't have a hatred for it(I have a hatred for golf)

I think it will grow in popularity,but will never become a top tier sport in America

I think it can be a top ten sport in popularity

Here is where I see the rank of popular sports in 15 years

1.NFL
    2.MLB
    3,COLLEGE FOOTBALL
    4.MMA(NOT A HUGE FAN BUT IT'S EXPLODING IN POPULARITY
    5.NBA
    6.COLLEGE BASKETBALL(OBVIOUSLY IN MARCH IT EXPLODES
    7.NASCAR
    8.GOLF(A LOT DEPENDS ON TIGER THIS COULD MOVE UP OR DOWN
    9.MLS-THIS IS WHERE I COULD SEE MLS RANK
    10.NHL
    Come on... NHL is more popular than you think. Attendance wise.. it's doing better than the NBA. You're also overrating MMA, it's popular among young people, but it's still not a mainstream sport, most people don't give a crap about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Great game in my opinion.

But as far as in U.S? Simply not enough scoring. Sad, but that's the reason.

Also we LOVE fantastic finishes. We are programmed to believe "great games" are the ones that come down to the wire.

NBA team down by 20 in 3rd quarter is still in it.

MLB team down 4-0 in ninth can still pull it out.

NFL team down by 17 starting the 4th quarter is still in it.

Soccer score is 2-0 and its over. And if its close? Shoots our a JOKE.
    buffoonery. plain and simple.

watch a little soccer and you'll know that 2-0 is probably the most difficult lead to maintain. it's like being up 10 points in football -- enough to make you think you have a comfortable advantage, but it can be gone in a second. and many many games are decided in the last 5 minutes, or even injury time.

also, i'll never understand the scoring argument. part of what makes the sport great is that it's supposed to be difficult to score. that's why the players/announcers/crowd all go nuts when a goal is scored. a game that finishes 4-3 isn't necessarily better than hard-fought 1-0 victory, or even a 0-0 tie.

it's all about understanding the sport and getting into it from a young age. i can't watch baseball for the life of me, puts me to sleep. and before i moved to NY and started following the Jets, i thought the NFL was about as slow and boring as it could get.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    buffoonery. plain and simple.

watch a little soccer and you'll know that 2-0 is probably the most difficult lead to maintain. it's like being up 10 points in football -- enough to make you think you have a comfortable advantage, but it can be gone in a second. and many many games are decided in the last 5 minutes, or even injury time.

also, i'll never understand the scoring argument. part of what makes the sport great is that it's supposed to be difficult to score. that's why the players/announcers/crowd all go nuts when a goal is scored. a game that finishes 4-3 isn't necessarily better than hard-fought 1-0 victory, or even a 0-0 tie.

it's all about understanding the sport and getting into it from a young age. i can't watch baseball for the life of me, puts me to sleep. and before i moved to NY and started following the Jets, i thought the NFL was about as slow and boring as it could get.
    Dunno if FFDeuce was talking about MLS soccer or the sport in general. He might be on to something though as far as why it's not as popular in the US. Plenty in the US like the high scoring games. However, if scoring were king Arena League football would be a top 5 sport. His guess at it, but coming back from 2-0 or even 3-0 was some of the most exciting soccer I've seen.

Myself, that's why I just can't watch basketball (ok, sometimes a little of the NCAA tournament, but I'm hard pressed to watch 100pts + per game otherwise). I don't pretend to understand all the nuances of soccer, but I'd rather watch the long buildup of a great goal than watch them score by the dozen per game.

As for selling the sport here, the announcers on ESPN and ABC have flat out stunk. Pony up some cash and go get Ray Hudson-probably his sidekick Phil Schoen too. This guy is a combination Madden/Cosell of soccer. Here's a few of his one liners:

http://rayhudson.wordpress.com/

There's a ton more if you're up for googling it or youtubing. I don't know of a better seller of the sport they could have to the US fans (commentator wise.)

An older one, but typical Hudson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pca2...eature=related
    Last edited by frostlich; 03-20-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    My HS baseball team played Blair, they were awful.
    They are mainly known for wrestling and basketball. I believe they are one of the best wrestling schools in the country and in basketball their alumni include guys like Luol Deng, Charlie Villanueva, and Royal Ivey. Soccer may not have been their best program, but they certainly aren't slouches either, from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    That's the thing about the MLS, it's not even in the top 10 in terms of talent. That's a problem for Americans, we don't like watching minor league soccer. That being said, soccer has been incredibly popular for new teams, Seattle drew 30,000 a game last year. The MLS will be a niche league in the US, which is fine.

As long as the EPL and best soccer leagues are shown on the ESPN's and Fox Sports, soccer will become a more popular sport for athletes.

As for the strike/lockout. They've reached a deal. The MLS will start the season as planned. More so than in any other sport, the MLS had to avert a strike.
    It's pretty amazing how much support the Seattle team has. I remember watching the Red Bulls play out there last year and it was a crazy atmosphere. It's definitely good for the league and the sport and general here in the U.S.

And yes, good news about the MLS reaching a deal today. That would have absolutely killed them if they missed a year. I look forward to watching Red Bulls vs. Santos FC tonight, the first ever game at the new Red Bull Arena.

Jets Insider VIP
    Interesting article.

If the US had a Championship at the level of England or Spain, Im sure more people would be interested in it. When you think about it, every other American Championship is the best in the world: football, hockey, basketball and baseball. Americans are used to seeing the best play in every sport. It's tough for Americans to get into something they'll only watch on TV. The only reason I got interested in US sports is because I lived there.

Another factor is diving. Americans are all about being tough in sports, playing through pain..etc. They can't stand watching these athletes act like pu$$ies. We hate it, but accept it as part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Come on... NHL is more popular than you think. Attendance wise.. it's doing better than the NBA. You're also overrating MMA, it's popular among young people, but it's still not a mainstream sport, most people don't give a crap about it.
    Read my quote again.I said in 15 years.MMA is doing a million buys on a lot of their ppv's,as those young people get older it will stay at that popularity and the young people behind them will enjoy it as well.Hey I enjoy hockey,but attendance is such a small part of popularity.Tv ratings for Hockey are awful,and I don't see it getting any better.I was hoping the NHL would get a bump after the olympics but it hasn't

I live in South Florida aka hell,you would be surprised on how many mma calls are taken on sports talk radio.If you put a ufc event(again i'm not even a fan of mma I prefer boxing) on free tv head to head with most sports events It would beat most of them.I guarantee it would beat any hockey telecast including the Stanley Cup

Red Bull Arena looks amazing. Red Bulls with a nice showing as well, winning 3-1. Lost the shutout in stoppage time.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Dunno if FFDeuce was talking about MLS soccer or the sport in general. He might be on to something though as far as why it's not as popular in the US. Plenty in the US like the high scoring games. However, if scoring were king Arena League football would be a top 5 sport. His guess at it, but coming back from 2-0 or even 3-0 was some of the most exciting soccer I've seen.

Myself, that's why I just can't watch basketball (ok, sometimes a little of the NCAA tournament, but I'm hard pressed to watch 100pts + per game otherwise). I don't pretend to understand all the nuances of soccer, but I'd rather watch the long buildup of a great goal than watch them score by the dozen per game.

As for selling the sport here, the announcers on ESPN and ABC have flat out stunk. Pony up some cash and go get Ray Hudson-probably his sidekick Phil Schoen too. This guy is a combination Madden/Cosell of soccer. Here's a few of his one liners:

http://rayhudson.wordpress.com/

There's a ton more if you're up for googling it or youtubing. I don't know of a better seller of the sport they could have to the US fans (commentator wise.)

An older one, but typical Hudson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pca2...eature=related
    gus johnson would sell soccer better than anyone else. that man would be incredible

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm currently living in Berlin, and often get asked quite a bit by either Germans or the British ex-pats in the city why Football hasn't really taken of in the States, and the reasons I've given have been all but mentioned on this thread, but I feel a large reason (besides an aversion to a sport that's not considered American) is that most Americans recognize MLS as lacking quality. Most Americans will only follow something if it's going to be the best, and features the top talent in the world. We dont' perceive ourselves as the best in Football, so we don't put too much attention into the sport. I think, until the day comes when MLS can draw major international talent, in their prime, to come to the MLS to play that MLS is never really going to take off here.

That's not to say it isn't growing in popularity. The amount of people who follow La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga, and more specifically the EPL has exploded in recent years. European clubs are recognizing this and are have made strong efforts to promote their brands in the States lately. It's no coincidence that teams like Barcalona, Manchester United, and Chelsea have been having regular summer tours of the U.S. in the last 5 years, and have been opening up academies in the U.S. (Arsenal co-runs an Academy in Colorado with the MLS Rapids) They recognize that the U.S. is a huge tool for marketing and a largely untapped market.

I think the immediate focus for helping the MLS grow needs to be attracting those fans who are Football fans in the U.S., but only follow European clubs. Give them reasons to cheer stateside and they will flock to it. Every football fan I talk to says they wish they had an MLS team to support, or a player or two to follow, and they would get behind it. Once the MLS gets stable enough financially, hopefully they will start trying to attract some top talent.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Interesting article.

If the US had a Championship at the level of England or Spain, Im sure more people would be interested in it. When you think about it, every other American Championship is the best in the world: football, hockey, basketball and baseball. Americans are used to seeing the best play in every sport. It's tough for Americans to get into something they'll only watch on TV. The only reason I got interested in US sports is because I lived there.

Another factor is diving. Americans are all about being tough in sports, playing through pain..etc. They can't stand watching these athletes act like pu$$ies. We hate it, but accept it as part of the game.
    I enjoy watching soccer sometimes but the diving antics just turns me off and I turn off the telly

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    I enjoy watching soccer sometimes but the diving antics just turns me off and I turn off the telly
    eh, i don't buy the negativity towards diving. it happens all the time in basketball, and doesn't turn anyone off there. rodman was the king of diving.

Americans like sports that are run from the sidelines....and predictable to the fans.Unlike Handball; football(soccer) has 10 quarterbacks on the field...it is not a game that can be played with X's and O's. Each player will decide what tempo the game will be played at.The fact that 2 football(Soccer)

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    I remember watching the Italy US game several years ago. The Italians were constantly on the ground holding their ankles and crying. Then you'd seem them running down the field two minutes later.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by suphwed55 View Post
    Americans like sports that are run from the sidelines....and predictable to the fans.Unlike Handball; football(soccer) has 10 quarterbacks on the field...it is not a game that can be played with X's and O's. Each player will decide what tempo the game will be played at.The fact that 2 football(Soccer)
    But watching the US has been pretty brutal, knowing if they got down 1-0 it was pretty much game over. It didn't take a genius to figure out Landon Donovan was never going to score and tie the game.

They had a few exciting moments.