Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detailed Look at Rex Ryan's Defense

Detailed Look at Rex Ryan's Defense

I was curious about the specific roles of each D-Lineman in our defensive front and I found this.

[url]http://www.scribd.com/doc/2941718/2005-Ravens-34-Defense[/url]

It is a slide presentation giving a pretty detailed look at Rex Ryan's 3-4 defense with the 2005 Ravens, presented by Mike Pettine. It gets a little complicated at points but gives a nice idea of the overall goals of the defense as well as the responsibilities of each position.

Enjoy!

Hall Of Fame
    Thanks. This is stellar.

very cool...thanks

Agreed. This will help us all understand this defense a lot better. Lets just keep this one amongst us...:yes:

[QUOTE=OC_Jet;3531414]Agreed. This will help us all understand this defense a lot better. Lets just keep this one amongst us...:yes:[/QUOTE]

I was really surprised to see this just sitting on Google. I'd imagine it would be removed immediately if the CS found out about it. Save to the hard drive!!!

[QUOTE=FakterX;3531421]I was really surprised to see this just sitting on Google. I'd imagine it would be removed immediately if the CS found out about it. Save to the hard drive!!![/QUOTE]

There's nothing in there that isn't basic football 101 really. A cover 2 is a cover 2 in any scheme. It's not like they unleashed anything that was really all that potentially damaging.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... amazing stuff!!! ... thx!!! ...

:clapper:

... slide 40 was against us :cool: ...

l_j_r

All League
    This is sweet! Maybe I can put it to use some pointers out of it with a high school team I coach. Thanks for posting it! :D

All League
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3531428]There's nothing in there that isn't basic football 101 really. A cover 2 is a cover 2 in any scheme. It's not like they unleashed anything that was really all that potentially damaging.[/QUOTE]

I think its actually a school for coaches that is hosting the file. There isn't anything potentially damaging to the team in there but it does have some good information if you plan on coaching a 3-4 D.

Jets Insider VIP
    Excellent!! Thanks!

Awesome stuff thanks

Bewildered Beast
    Holy ****, that's Quincy Carter! Lol

Undrafted Free Agent
    thanx for this

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3531428]There's nothing in there that isn't basic football 101 really. A cover 2 is a cover 2 in any scheme. It's not like they unleashed anything that was really all that potentially damaging.[/QUOTE]

the beauty part of that slideshow is that it covers a myriad of murder pressure packages that with most coaches is sort of just conceptual. but when you watch the way Ryan coaches, he pretty much uses all of them.

god bless Rex Ryan.

The reason I was looking for this was because I wanted to know the differences between linebacker positions and end positions. For example, one end plays a 5 technique like a 4-3 end whereas the other plays a 3 tech like a 4-3 DT.

Great post...think someone posted it before because I remember looking through it but definitely not bad to have again.

I like the way Rex sees D, but the best thing is that he gets the best out of really good athletes...That can't hurt any coach, even if someone of those players may not have the best backstories.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [SIZE="5"]kill,kill,kill[/SIZE]

Practice Squad
    intense.

[QUOTE=FakterX;3531421]I was really surprised to see this just sitting on Google. I'd imagine it would be removed immediately if the CS found out about it. Save to the hard drive!!![/QUOTE]

I would imagine that the info is out dated. I would hope soanyway.

All League

Actually it isn't - If you look closely you can see how often that there are many coverages where the safeties AREN'T covering half the field. You can further see the number of time they use the "invert" alignment, where one of the S's "inverts" to cover a curl of flat area.

Its all quite interesting. It looks like something that would be shown at a coaches clinic....and although its 50 slides long, with a ton of coaching points and variations, its still very basic. For example they don't show how they react to motion.

Very good stuff for us ordinary fans...and a great insight into the flexibility of the 3-4 alignment. Thanks