Thread: Jason Worilds Kills Pro Day

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason Worilds Kills Pro Day

Ran 4.47.

Gotta have him. I'm approaching a Gato-esque level of man crust.

[IMG]http://images.athlonsports.com/d/15779-1/JasonWorilds.jpg[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen Dwight Freeney, sir, and Jason Worilds is no Dwight Freeney.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jack Straw;3531639]I have seen Dwight Freeney, sir, and Jason Worilds is no Dwight Freeney.[/QUOTE]

And?

I never said he was Dwight Freeney. Similar measureables but Freeney is on another level as a player. EDIT: And was on another level as a prospect, which is why he was drafted in the top 15.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 03-19-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3531654]And?

I never said he was Dwight Freeney. Similar measureables but Freeney is on another level as a player. EDIT: And was on another level as a prospect, which is why he was drafted in the top 15.[/QUOTE]

I know you didn't compare him; My assumption is that the comparison are soon to follow (not necessarily from you) because of his forty time + similar hieght/weight, which compares similarly to Dwight Freeney when he was coming out of college.

I suppose the real question is whether Worilds can play standing up in a 3-4 or if he's better suited as a RE in a 4-3. Most of his snaps in college (I think) came as a LE in a 4-3 defense, so he'll have to flip sides in the pros because he's just too light to go up against RT in the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jack Straw;3531671]I know you didn't compare him; My assumption is that the comparison are soon to follow (not necessarily from you) because of his forty time + similar hieght/weight, which compares similarly to Dwight Freeney when he was coming out of college.

I suppose the real question is whether Worilds can play standing up in a 3-4 or if he's better suited as a RE in a 4-3. Most of his snaps in college (I think) came as a LE in a 4-3 defense, so he'll have to flip sides in the pros because he's just too light to go up against RT in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

I agree that any Freeney comparison is just plain wrong. The raw athletic numbrers are there, not the 17 sacks.

Anyway you slice it, 4.47 at 6'1 255 with a quick first step is something I'm sure Rex would love to work with.

From most of what I've seen/heard... Worilds has the ability to drop into coverage. I'm sure there's plenty he needs to learn.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    which round is he avg in mocks?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3531708]which round is he avg in mocks?[/QUOTE]

I mostly see him given a 3-4th grade. I think he's an ideal pick for us at 61.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft the beast. There's only so much you can be down on a player when he's clearly a better player than I give him credit for. That said, not sure he's anything special as a pro because of the earlier shoulder injuries. It's also a very deep DE/OLB class...
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-19-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hes a real interesting pass rusher... but it seems like there are injury concerns pushing his stock down... he should be rated higher... but its also a very deep year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3532263]Draft the beast. There's only so much you can be down on a player when he's clearly a better player than I give him credit for. That said, not sure he's anything special as a pro because of the earlier shoulder injuries. It's also a very deep DE/OLB class...[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how the injuries will affect him and his stock. If the MRIs he reportedly had at the combine check out, it shouldn't matter.

And while this is a deep class at DE/OLB, he's the 4th/5th best one IMO behind Kindle, Graham and Hughes, maybe Sapp. I'm not a big Sapp fan, but he's got some freakish ability as well.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling for them to take him at 29, but getting him at 61 would be a real nice find.

It always comes down to upside with me. I think Worilds has an upside that's just as high, if not higher, than the guys ahead of him on that list. He could become a truly dominant player.

DeMaryius at 29
    Worilds at 61
    Spivey/Josh Moore in the 4th
    Ogho in 5/6

I'd be a happy man.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Word IIRC is that he doesn't play up to his numbers and that he is somewhat raw in coverage (which DE/OLB isn't coming out though). Not sure how I feel bout him overall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;3532344]Word IIRC is that he doesn't play up to his numbers and that he is somewhat raw in coverage (which DE/OLB isn't coming out though). Not sure how I feel bout him overall.[/QUOTE]

The sack totals weren't there, but he had a ton of QB pressures. Opposing QBs always knew where he was and they often got rid of the ball quickly because they saw him closing in.

Rushing from the LDE spot, he was usually seen by the QB. Had he been blitzing from the blind side, I feel like his sack total would've been a bit higher.

And you're right about being raw in coverage. I think he has the ability to do that, but it'll be a bit of a learning process -- he does have the athleticism to do it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3532512]The sack totals weren't there, but he had a ton of QB pressures. Opposing QBs always knew where he was and they often got rid of the ball quickly because they saw him closing in.

Rushing from the LDE spot, he was usually seen by the QB. Had he been blitzing from the blind side, I feel like his sack total would've been a bit higher.

And you're right about being raw in coverage. I think he has the ability to do that, but it'll be a bit of a learning process -- he does have the athleticism to do it.[/QUOTE]

I think I am a little gunshy on guys labeled with the underachiever tag since gholston who had that label despite some sick production (with his athleticism he should have been getting huge sack numbers consistently, not in bunches like he did)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;3532621]I think I am a little gunshy on guys labeled with the underachiever tag since gholston who had that label despite some sick production (with his athleticism he should have been getting huge sack numbers consistently, not in bunches like he did)[/QUOTE]

This Gholston crap has to stop. Enough already with comparing every single "underachieving" DE/OLB prospect who runs fast to Gholston.

These players are to be evaluated on a case by case basis. Comparing them to VG is just plain stupid.

Oh yeah, and we're not selecting Worilds #6 overall. So it really, really, really has nothing to do with Gholston.

At some point, the team is going to have to draft another DE/OLB prospect. And unless they're taking that guy in the top 20, he's not likely to have elite measureables matched with high level production.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Comparing them to VG is just plain stupid.[/QUOTE]

Especially since Gholston, a guy with more college sacks than college starts despite only playing football for 3-4 years, has to have his story twisted around his first two NFL years to fit that description.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-20-2010 at 03:55 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3532342]I'm not sure how the injuries will affect him and his stock. If the MRIs he reportedly had at the combine check out, it shouldn't matter.

And while this is a deep class at DE/OLB, he's the 4th/5th best one IMO behind Kindle, Graham and Hughes, maybe Sapp. I'm not a big Sapp fan, but he's got some freakish ability as well.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling for them to take him at 29, but getting him at 61 would be a real nice find.

It always comes down to upside with me. I think Worilds has an upside that's just as high, if not higher, than the guys ahead of him on that list. He could become a truly dominant player.

DeMaryius at 29
    Worilds at 61
    Spivey/Josh Moore in the 4th
    Ogho in 5/6

I'd be a happy man.[/QUOTE]

Spievey and OGHO would be steals in the 4th and 5th.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worilds at 61 would be a reach and a half. I don't think he goes before the 4th.

As far as DE/OLB go...Graham, Morgan, Hardy, Griffen, Hughes, Sapp, Kindle, Misi, Cunningham should all before him, and then there's the guys like Selvie, Lang, Witten, Young, and Coleman that he's closer to in ranking.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-20-2010 at 04:06 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3532635]This Gholston crap has to stop. Enough already with comparing every single "underachieving" DE/OLB prospect who runs fast to Gholston.

These players are to be evaluated on a case by case basis. Comparing them to VG is just plain stupid.

Oh yeah, and we're not selecting Worilds #6 overall. So it really, really, really has nothing to do with Gholston.

At some point, the team is going to have to draft another DE/OLB prospect. And unless they're taking that guy in the top 20, he's not likely to have elite measureables matched with high level production.[/QUOTE]

I think it has more to do with I get the same vibe from him as I did with Gholston for some reason. Call it a gut instinct. I am not opposed to taking athletic freaks as I wouldn't mind taking Ricky Sapp. I just feel like Worilds doesn't match his athleticism on the field in the same way that Gholston hasn't.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worilds played linebacker and fullback in HS so im sure dropping back into coverage is within reach...he's a local boy played for Carteret HS in NJ

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bpoz1313;3532716]Worilds played linebacker and fullback in HS so im sure dropping back into coverage is within reach...he's a local boy played for Carteret HS in NJ[/QUOTE]

I always like pulling for a Jersey boy.