Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carl Banks killng Peter King

Carl Banks killng Peter King

Great back and forth debate with Peter King and Carl Banks regarding overtime changes..
    Banks is killing him and I've never heard King off balance like this..
    Sirius radio at its finest..

After hearing this, I've come to the conclusion King has great contacts and is a great writter BUT has no more understanding of the actual game than us fans do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Peter King, a great writer??????????
    In what f*cked up parallel dimension are you living in????

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=mcsully;3531653]Great back and forth debate with Peter King and Carl Banks regarding overtime changes..
    Banks is killing him and I've never heard King off balance like this..
    Sirius radio at its finest..

After hearing this, I've come to the conclusion King has great contacts and is a great writter [B]BUT has no more understanding of the actual game than us fans do[/B].[/QUOTE]

What led you to believe that he did before? He probably gets a lot of great insights from people he talks to, but as to fundamental understanding of the game, I doubt he has any greater knowledge than your average football zealot. That goes for most journalists, not simply King.

[QUOTE=Peebag;3531657]Peter King, a great writer??????????
    In what f*cked up parallel dimension are you living in????[/QUOTE]

I enjoy his weekly column..

[QUOTE=crasherino;3531660]What led you to believe that he did before? He probably gets a lot of great insights from people he talks to, but as to fundamental understanding of the game, I doubt he has any greater knowledge than your average football zealot. That goes for most journalists, not simply King.[/QUOTE]

THis is someting I just didn't think with him today.. But now i know ;)

Hall Of Fame
    King is a douchebag. Let's see if his precious Patriots lost out on a secret coin-toss..it'd be front page news on SI for weeks.

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3531668]King is a douchebag. Let's see if his precious Patriots lost out on a secret coin-toss..it'd be front page news on SI for weeks.[/QUOTE]

Funny u say that because Pat fans dislike him..

Jets Insider VIP
    why would they hate a guy who resides in Video Bill's sphincter 12 months a year

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    [QUOTE=sg3;3531704]why would they hate a guy who resides in Video Bill's sphincter 12 months a year[/QUOTE]
    bc they are jeaolus they cant be in bill's sphincter..lol:D

All League
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3531660]What led you to believe that he did before? He probably gets a lot of great insights from people he talks to, but as to fundamental understanding of the game, I doubt he has any greater knowledge than your average football zealot. That goes for most journalists, not simply King.[/QUOTE]

So true. It's also why many former athletes are becoming television and radio personalities. They know the ins and outs of the sports better than a journalists and most of them actually have degrees and are able to put them to use.

There's nothing wrong with a personality that hasn't played sports and doesn't pretend to know more than they do, alla Mike Greenberg. Then you have Golic, who was not a star, but knows how it works. That's why they're the best.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=mcsully;3531674]Funny u say that because Pat fans dislike him..[/QUOTE]

ha really? He seems like such a Patriot apologist but that's not news.

golic not a star? maybe not an all pro but he was good enough to play for nd on scholarship and then was drafted. he wasn't drafted higher because he had a bum shoulder. he was certainly a solid player for the browns.

not disagreeing with most of your arguement just that golic was a far better player than you imply.

[QUOTE=NYJCAP2;3531734]So true. It's also why many former athletes are becoming television and radio personalities. They know the ins and outs of the sports better than a journalists and most of them actually have degrees and are able to put them to use.

There's nothing wrong with a personality that hasn't played sports and doesn't pretend to know more than they do, alla Mike Greenberg. Then you have Golic, who was not a star, but knows how it works. That's why they're the best.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3531713]bc they are jeaolus they cant be in bill's sphincter..lol:D[/QUOTE]

Lol well played, hats off to you my lady :D

[QUOTE=NYJCAP2;3531734]So true. It's also why many former athletes are becoming television and radio personalities. They know the ins and outs of the sports better than a journalists and most of them actually have degrees and are able to put them to use.

There's nothing wrong with a personality that hasn't played sports and doesn't pretend to know more than they do, alla Mike Greenberg. Then you have Golic, who was not a star, but knows how it works. That's why they're the best.[/QUOTE]

That is a bunch of garbage. Most ex athletes, whether they know the "ins and outs" of the game, have a hard time articulating it over the air. There are exceptions - Dave Jennings is the best I've ever heard (and typical of the Jets that they fired him). But let's not act like sports such as football are rocket science. You can have a great understanding having played it as a kid or in high school, even if you never sniffed the NFL. And if you have a gift for communicating, that is far more valuable to a fan than hearing some ex-player making no sense and criticizing no one because he's in the fraternity of players (or coaches).

I didn't hear the debate with King being discussed here, so not sure exactly what happened. And I am with most of you in absolutely hating Peter King. But I'd rather listen to him talking about the NFL than Carl Banks any day.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=mcsully;3531663]I enjoy his weekly column..

THis is someting I just didn't think with him today.. But now i know ;)[/QUOTE]

The thing is, there are "football people" and everyone else. I'm pretty sure that I know more than the "average fan" about all things football....but, I am also pretty sure that if I am in the company of "football people" talking football, I will probably struggle to comprehend what the hell they are talking about. They speak in a different jargon that we may understand some of, but don't really have the fluency to really participate in.

I think journalists, in general, lean more towards the fan side than the "football people" side.

It's funny, because I thought King was owning Banks - at least in the beginning. I couldn't take listening to Banks, so I turned to the hockey station.

I like that King did his research: like only 7 teams in the history of 440+ overtimes elected to go with defense first. He also said that in recent years (since all the changes to the rule book plus better efficiency of kickers), the team that wins the coin flip wins 60% of the time. Banks didn't have a rebuttal other than "and", "so". Banks did say that teams should make the stop on defense. King was trying to say that the offense has the advantage over the defense thanks to the rule changes (and moving the kick-off back to the 30) and that the coin flip was too much of a factor on winning game. Plus, Banks isn't exactly the most eloquent of speakers. It's not like I'm a big fan of King either.

The debate sounded forced for radio to me. Just two guys picking opposite sides for a radio bit.
    Last edited by NYRAGE; 03-19-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I love Carl Banks, he knows the game and isnt afraid to speak his mind.

He regularly straightens out Benigno and Roberts on their FAN show.

I have no doubt he bufuddled the fat chowdophile.

:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    with the internet, facebook, twitter, and all other forms of social media messaging in the present and the future; the "reporter" position is pretty much obsolete. They are fans who simply enjoy writing more than we do and obviously, more direct access..that's it...whatever Peter King, or Don Banks, or whomever else has an opinion it's no more different than what you may hear from one of us.

[QUOTE=32green;3531767]I love Carl Banks, he knows the game and isnt afraid to speak his mind.

[B]He regularly straightens out Benigno and Roberts on their FAN show.[/B]

I have no doubt he bufuddled the fat chowdophile.

:yes:[/QUOTE]

Not difficult to do...

But I also like Banks. He knows his stuff.

[QUOTE=32green;3531767]I love Carlton Banks :yes:[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/allie_90/thCarlton.gif[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    [QUOTE=TheMo;3531744]Lol well played, hats off to you my lady :D[/QUOTE]
    thank you ... i just couldnt resist.:D