Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we open up the offense or rely on running? (article)

Jets Insider VIP

Do we open up the offense or rely on running? (article)

Mark Sanchez: Do the N.Y. Jets Open Up the Offense or Rely On Running Game?
    by Danielle Correa Contributor Written on March 19, 2010 Last spring on June 10, 2009, coach Rex Ryan and the New York Jets signed their first round draft choice Mark Sanchez, a then 22-year old quarterback from Southern California. This five-year, $50 million contract was the largest one that the Jets have ever signed with a player in franchise history.

The deal could amount to as much as $60 million with incentives (letís not forget, Sanchez was guaranteed to receive $28 million regardless of whether or not he choked). Do the math and youíll find that Sanchez will be earning just under $6.5 million during the 2010 season.

Donít we all wish we could be Sanchez for a day?

During the 2009 NFL Draft, the Jets originally had the 17th pick overall, but traded their first and second round picks for Clevelandís fifth pick, marking the biggest draft-day trade in Jets history. This trade allowed the Jets to acquire Mr. Sanchez.

So why did the Jets break franchise records for this guy?

It comes as no surprise that Sanchez is a great athlete. In the 2009 draft, he was ranked as one of the top two quarterbacks, behind quarterback Matthew Stafford, a fellow junior, of the University of Georgia.

Since the announcement that other NFL-caliber quarterbacks such as Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy had decided to stay in school for their junior and senior seasons, rumors surfaced that Sanchez used this opportunity to claim his rank and enter the draft a year early.

We all know that the 2009 Jets with Sanchez as QB relied on their running game more than anything else. The franchise and fans want to see improvements this season, but can Sanchez lead the Jets to a winning season by opening up the offense and passing rather than running the ball?

Letís face it Rex, you have the No. 1 rushing offense in the league, but your boys arenít getting the job entirely done by solely running the ball. There needs to be a consistent balance between the rushing and receiving offenses. Something needs to be done here!

Sanchez needs to become a great quarterback on all fronts and take over his game. Why would the Jets draft him and pay him all this money so that he doesnít deliver and lead a team to victory, his primary responsibility?

Will Sanchez earn every one of his dollars and then some? He better for the Jetsí sake. I believe that the Jets made the right choice to draft their rookie QB and if given the opportunity, he is the right man to turn this upcoming season around.

Letís look at the positives and negatives of Sanchezís history as quarterbackónegatives first.

Sanchez entered the 2009 NFL Draft during his junior year at USC. It can be argued that he wasnít ready and didnít have enough experience to go pro just yet. Former USC Trojan coach Pete Carroll wanted Sanchez to stay with the team.

The 2008-2009 academic year was the first that he played as a starting college quarterback. It is believed by many that Sanchez couldíve acquired a national championship with the Trojans had he stayed his senior year.

Yes, he has a great arm and extraordinary talent (the best since fellow former Trojan, Carson Palmer according to Carroll), but more training and preparation for the NFL couldíve been gained.

Now letís talk interceptionsóSanchezís weakness.

In the 27 games that he did play during his USC Trojan days, he had thrown 16 interceptions. Sanchez finished up his rookie regular season with 20 interceptions.

Remember that Jetsí home game against Buffalo in October? Sanchez threw five interceptions that day. These led to 13 of Buffaloís 16 points. Ouch!

But letís not be too hasty. Sanchez has performed positively for both the Trojans and the Jets, too.

At the Rose Bowl Game on January 1, 2009, Mark Sanchez and the USC Trojans beat Penn State 38-24. Itís a shame that the Trojans werenít playing for the national title because they did put on a championship performance. Sanchez threw five touchdowns, one by rushing and four by passing.

If any game can prove Sanchez's ability to pass the ball if the offense is opened up, this is it.

Sanchez passed for 413 yards that dayóthe highest since Palmerís 425 thrown against Notre Dame in 2002.

The team did finish the 2009 season with a 9-7 regular season record. Not bad for the rookie.

Sanchez became the second rookie quarterback ever to acquire two consecutive postseason wins (after Joe Flacco), defeating the Cincinnati Bengals and the San Diego Chargers in January 2010.

In that game against Cincy, Sanchez was 12 of 15 in passing and threw for 182 yards. The rookie threw no interceptions that day.

(Fun Fact: Mark Sanchez has acquired more career playoff wins than Dallas Cowboys quarterback, Tony Romo. As a rookie! Iím just saying, kind of embarrassing, is it not?)

Although they did lose to the Indianapolis Colts, Sanchez led the Jets to their third ever AFC Championship game. The last time the NY Jets saw such a game was 11 years ago during the 1998-'99 season against the Denver Broncos. They lost this one as well.

Given that the Jets have the best defense in the league, itís time to show fans everywhere that they can do just as good on the offensive end. With great receivers like Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery and help from running backs Shonn Greene, newcomer LaDainian Tomlinson, and the return of Leon Washington back from his injury hiatus, the Jetsí coaching staff has an excellent chance to open up the playbook for Sanchez.

With a year of NFL experience, amazing talents, and an incredible roster of both veteran and new additions to the team, I predict an outstanding season for Mark Sanchez and the Jets in 2010. Let's open up that offense!

What do all of you think?

Jets Insider VIP
    I think we need to run first, but change the balance depending on the game situation. So yeah - more passing.

You still need to make teams pay for over playing the run or for single covering a dangerous WR (See the 80 yard Bomb to Braylon Edwards) People used to view it that you run to set up the pass but you can in effect do the opposite. Get a score early to soften teams up just a little bit then run it down their throats.

Needs to be a bit more of a mix but not going overboard. I think we ran and passed a reasonable ratio last year, with a year of experience our QB should turn some of those mistakes into successful plays. I also think we will throw to our backs more this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Now is the time to open it up a little and take our lumps, it is part of the growth process.
    Last edited by Apache 51; 03-19-2010 at 04:24 PM.

All League
    "Something Needs to be done here."

Ahhhh, weren't we two CB injuries away from the SB?? Honestly, nothing needs to be done here. Last year we ran the ball when teams KNEW we were going to run the ball. No trickery, no gimmicks, we just lined up and hit people. If you can do that, no one can stop it.

While I agree to a point with the article, lets not go try to re-invent the wheel. Sure we don't need to run on every 1st and 2nd down, but to think we are going to be less than 57/43 running team would be just foolish. Our defense is not going to let a team get such a lead on us that we need to abandon the run so I honestly doubt Sanchez is going to get more than 3200 yards passing.

All Pro
    rex has already said they plan to make the offense a lot more balanced next year. they were roughly a 60:40 ratio last year, so i see it going a little more 50:50, slightly leaning towards rushing. so 51:49. :)

EDIT: it's all going to depend on sanchez's growth. if sanchez is lights out, they'll use that. if he struggles, they'll rely on the running game.
    Last edited by Megalomaniac; 03-19-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    53.9:D

[QUOTE=pcola;3532082]"Something Needs to be done here."

Ahhhh, weren't we two CB injuries away from the SB?? Honestly, nothing needs to be done here. Last year we ran the ball when teams KNEW we were going to run the ball. No trickery, no gimmicks, we just lined up and hit people. If you can do that, no one can stop it.

While I agree to a point with the article, lets not go try to re-invent the wheel. Sure we don't need to run on every 1st and 2nd down, but to think we are going to be less than 57/43 running team would be just foolish. Our defense is not going to let a team get such a lead on us that we need to abandon the run so I honestly doubt Sanchez is going to get more than 3200 yards passing.[/QUOTE]

And which is exactly why we needed LT. I hope he has something in the tank because all of our RBs were pretty much broken down by the end of the AFC Championship Game. We probably should carry 4 RBs this year IMO. Draft one mid round.

But, in response to the OP... I'd like to see Sanchez throw it more, but I also don't want to abandon our ground and pound philosophy. Basically how the Steelers won with Ben at QB in year two. We should emulate that.

All Pro
    Game by game basis.

I'd like if the team had the ability to win a shootout, and it would be nice to see Sanchez develop into a Roethlisberger type of QB who can drive downfield through the air if he has to. But the ground and pound is just fine with me as long as it's working and the Jets are winning.

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3532096]Game by game basis.

I'd like if the team had the ability to win a shootout, and it would be nice to see Sanchez develop into a Roethlisberger type of QB who can drive downfield through the air if he has to. But the ground and pound is just fine with me as long as it's working and the Jets are winning.[/QUOTE]

I still think you win in this league by being more physical than the other team. I agree, so long as we're winning I say why change? More balance, sure but I don't see a shift in philosophy really.

Jets Insider VIP
    You might have to lose to win....

All League
    [QUOTE=southside;3532092]And which is exactly why we needed LT. I hope he has something in the tank because all of our RBs were pretty much broken down by the end of the AFC Championship Game. We probably should carry 4 RBs this year IMO. Draft one mid round.

But, in response to the OP... I'd like to see Sanchez throw it more, but I also don't want to abandon our ground and pound philosophy. Basically how the Steelers won with Ben at QB in year two. We should emulate that.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't think with our philosophy that you can have too many backs.

With that said, it would be nice to see Sanchez open it up early in the season so that as the weather deteriorates teams will be preparing to stop our passing game and Rex will be hitting them in the face with a brick by running it down their throats. This prolongs the health of our backs and could assure that Greene, LT and co. are in mid season form come January.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pcola;3532105]Agreed. I don't think with our philosophy that you can have too many backs.

With that said, it would be nice to see Sanchez open it up early in the season so that as the weather deteriorates teams will be preparing to stop our passing game and Rex will be hitting them in the face with a brick by running it down their throats. This prolongs the health of our backs and could assure that Greene, LT and co. are in mid season form come January.[/QUOTE]

That makes great sense to me. I surely agree with you.

[QUOTE=pcola;3532105]Agreed. I don't think with our philosophy that you can have too many backs.

With that said, it would be nice to see Sanchez open it up early in the season so that as the weather deteriorates teams will be preparing to stop our passing game and Rex will be hitting them in the face with a brick by running it down their throats. This prolongs the health of our backs and could assure that Greene, LT and co. are in mid season form come January.[/QUOTE]

The only problem I see with that is like what happened to SD. They stopped running the ball and then when they needed to run it they couldn't because they just weren't doing it enough to get it done. It's a slippery slope but I think that we could obviously be more of a passing team than we were last season. We really ran the ball heavily and we can at least give Sanchez 100-150 more plays to throw from to even it out. Realistically I'd like to see Schotty and Sanchez get better production out of the passing game as opposed to just throwing it more. I didn't like the routes our WR's were running and I didn't like how Sanchez missed open WRs with over throws or just not seeing the open guy.

I don't know if I'm scared to see this offense or not next year haha. It could definitely be a horror show but the way Sanchez came on in the clutch I'd say it's more plausible that he's going to play well.

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3532088]53.9:D[/QUOTE]

is that how much money you have in your pocket? :cool:
    Last edited by revisjets; 03-19-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    That is a response to the prior post. Still don't get your comment.

All League
    [QUOTE=pcola;3532082]"Something Needs to be done here."

While I agree to a point with the article, lets not go try to re-invent the wheel. Sure we don't need to run on every 1st and 2nd down, but to think we are going to be less than 57/43 running team would be just foolish. Our defense is not going to let a team get such a lead on us that we need to abandon the run so I honestly doubt Sanchez is going to get more than 3200 yards passing.[/QUOTE]

+1 Good Post

We have the number one rushing attack in the NFL for a reason. We have probably the best O-Line in the league as far as run blocking goes and a triple threat of talented backs.

I don't think the pass/run ratio will change much however I believe we will be more effective in the passing game as Sanchez improves and becomes more efficent.

A combination of a dominant running game and an efficent passing game to go along with our defense will lead to many wins this year IMO.
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 03-19-2010 at 10:01 PM.

You dont draft a QB as high as the Jets did to be "Ground and Pound". At some point the QB becomes the focal point of the offense until he proves he simply can not do it. That is exactly what happened with Flacco this year. He threw 60 more passes than he did in 2008 and was on pace for much more than that except he was not ready to handle the responsibility so they ran more at the end of the year. Matt Ryan would have been about plus 80 had he not been injured.

I think the question for this season is if the Jets kind of go opposite what those two teams did and lean on the run early and then pass late in the year or if they try to throw more like they did early in 2009 until Sanchez just totally melted down. By year 3 I dont think you will ever head the phrase "Ground and Pound offense". If you do its a bad sign.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3532325]Both.[/QUOTE]

+1
    The Colts did it with an elite passing attack back when they had that ridiculous offense.