[QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3533080]... you are way too extreme pulling up a name like ryan leaf on the low end ... as well as making neil odonnell your high end in trying to point towards consistency ... let's ask any steeler fan how consistently he performed when it mattered most ...

... on the low end sanchez played like a rookie in his 1st year at qb in the nfl ...

... nothing wrong with that ... peyton manning did the same thing ...

... the coaching staff went ultra conservative in the middle of the season when the mistakes started piling up ... we were in a lot of games and they came down to the last possession or two playing this way ... some going in our favor, some not ...

... as the season wound down they began opening it up a little bit more and for the most part sanchez rewarded that decision ...

... in the playoffs they opened it up even more ... sanchez played better & better as the pressure got bigger and bigger ... THAT ... more than anything else is what truly has me excited ...

... pressure impacts everyone ... many people tighten up ... get ultra conservative ... alter what they do & perform poorly due to fear of failure ... sanchez stepped up a level when the pressure hit him ... it was quite impressive for a rookie ...

... long story short, i believe the wait and see has already happened at the mid-point last year ... and the kid's growth towards learning, reacting, and performing better is already well on its way! ... thank God for the miracle scenario that worked us into the playoffs ... going through all that ... AND playing as well as he did when it mattered the most is a GIANT building block in sanchez's development! ...

... we'll see soon enough ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

I agree. The playoff experience will become an invaluable tool for his future development.

However, I do not believe the names I mentioned are poorly reflective of Sanchez' understanding of the game. The GOAL for Sanchez in his rookie season was to be Neil O'Donnell. A classic example of a QB who knew how to take what the defense gave him. He made very little mistakes. He would never win games for you, but he would properly lean on the running game and take advantage of any easy passing opportunities.

That was the goal for Sanchez last season. It wasn't for him to be Joe Montana in his first year in the league. It was for Sanchez to learn as much as he could while leaning on our number 1 running game and defense.

And when he was bad?? He was so far worse than Neil O'Donnell EVER was, it was sickening. Do you recall the first Buffalo game? What about NO, Atlanta, NE?? All of those games could be compared with Ryan Leaf.

Objectively, taking into account what he did in the playoffs, I'd have to say an all around C for his rookie year. Nothing better, nothing worse....