Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets have worked out top Guard Mike Iupati.

Jets have worked out top Guard Mike Iupati.

National Football Post is reporting.. Iupati (6-5, 331) Idaho, is considered the best Guard in the draft by many.

The young lineman wowed scouts and coaches at the Senior Bowl and Combine, and is projected to be a top 20 pick.

While there’s some disagreement on where he’d fit best (Tackle or Guard), he’s likely better suited to the inside game. Drafting a Guard above the 20th pick would seem like a stretch, so that might very well be why the Jets are paying attention to the player as he might slip if he’s a true Guard. The Jets could use some more depth for 2010 on their line, and a new projected starters going forward as some of their pieces (Moore, Faneca, Woody) are aging. Other than the Jets, Iupati has been scheduled for at least nine official visits.

Posted on March 19th, 2010 by Bassett

Never here me complain about investing upfront. I'd be all for it. Like said above, we'll need to replace Faneca next year, etc, & as a philosophy, need to ensure the o line remains a dominant strength. Flexibility though is always a beautiful thing come this time of year. And that's obviously the goal, not to mention the job done in preparation year round and all the work the scouts do.. Can't wait for the draft!!

If Iupati were there at 29 he'd be great value... could also possibly kick out to RT and play after Woody is gone... but he's a natural Left guard.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3532048]If Iupati were there at 29 he'd be great value... could also possibly kick out to RT and play after Woody is gone... but he's a natural Left guard.[/QUOTE]

+1 the lines must be addressed this year. this is how the great teams continue to be hold up. it's thinking years in advance and we finally have that thought process. Woody's replacement in 2011?

Exactly.

& this guy has great versatility, as said above, etc. -Could replace Faneca or Woody.

if he can play RT then he's a possibility there. i'd rather them take a RT than a wr.

Any offensive linemen drafted in the first two rounds would be an awful pick, and I would even go so far as to say that drafting one in round 4 and 5 would be a waste as well.

The Jets' five starters for next season are set in stone, they just need backups for next season and you don't draft backup o-linemen in the first two rounds. If they feel the need to replace Fancea or Woody in 2011, that's when you take an o-linemen high. It's easy enough to slot a rookie into the lineup, especially when he'd be surronded by a veteran group.

All Pro
    I'd absolutely support taking Iupati. He can be tacked in all over to cover for injuries and be groomed for the future.

I doubt he makes it past the DAL-PHI-GB part of the mid twenties, but it's a no brainer if he is there.

All Pro
    I'd be all for this pick at 29, I think he'd be a steal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Using a 1st round pick on someone who's not going to start in 2010 would be ridiculous. And why do we need to continue using 1st round picks on offensive linemen? Other teams find good linemen in the middle to late rounds. And you don't need to put an elite player between Mangold and D'Brick anyways.

Get a defensive stud or an offensive playmaker.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=jetsfanmack;3532091]Any offensive linemen drafted in the first two rounds would be an awful pick, and I would even go so far as to say that drafting one in round 4 and 5 would be a waste as well.

The Jets' five starters for next season are set in stone, they just need backups for next season and you don't draft backup o-linemen in the first two rounds. If they feel the need to replace Fancea or Woody in 2011, that's when you take an o-linemen high. It's easy enough to slot a rookie into the lineup, especially when he'd be surronded by a veteran group.[/QUOTE]

Oh, should've read all the posts I guess...THIS :)

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    I wouldn't complain at all if Iupati was our pick @ 29... the man can be a b/u for every position on the Oline, and could start in a year or two when Faneca or Woody get to old.
    Last edited by Starkweather; 03-19-2010 at 06:06 PM.

All Pro
    Can't ever take the offensive line for granted. I'd be happy to take him and cut Faneca saving a boatload of loot and having the next Hutchinson for the next 10 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Iupati is about as close to a can't miss prospect as I have ever seen

With that in mind, isn't that the goal for your 1st round selection...get a can't miss player

Iupati if there is a no brainer

All League
    I don't think ANYONE we take at 29 is going to start this year without an injury issue. We have no holes. Even if we get the offensive playmaker you speak of, doesn't mean he is going to start at all. By takig Iupati or Pouncey, they could immediately upgrade the backup at every single OL position. Plus, look at all the playing time that Hunter got last year as the 6th lineman, its not like he is going to rot on the bench.

Plus, I think we have been tremendously fortunate that we have basically been injury free on the OL for the past couple of seasons and with Woody's back, I think we should have a plan in case we are not so fortunate this season.

[QUOTE=pcola;3532233]I don't think ANYONE we take at 29 is going to start this year without an injury issue. We have no holes. Even if we get the offensive playmaker you speak of, doesn't mean he is going to start at all. By takig Iupati or Pouncey, they could immediately upgrade the backup at every single OL position. Plus, look at all the playing time that Hunter got last year as the 6th lineman, its not like he is going to rot on the bench.

Plus, I think we have been tremendously fortunate that we have basically been injury free on the OL for the past couple of seasons and with Woody's back, I think we should have a plan in case we are not so fortunate this season.[/QUOTE]

Kindle or Earl Thomas could..maybe Dunlap

This is one of my two favorite picks in the first. The other would be Cody. Would be the lock BPA when we pick unless someone even better falls obviously. I think he's the best G prospect since Davin Joseph.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-19-2010 at 09:18 PM.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3532116]Using a 1st round pick on someone who's not going to start in 2010 would be ridiculous. And why do we need to continue using 1st round picks on offensive linemen? Other teams find good linemen in the middle to late rounds. And you don't need to put an elite player between Mangold and D'Brick anyways.

Get a defensive stud or an offensive playmaker.[/QUOTE]

HUH? If you didn't notice we lead the league in rushing last year with FOUR of our five guys being 1st round picks. Other teams find o-lineman anywhere in the draft.

I take it you would rather have Adriene Clarke between the two than Faneca? Sheesh how soon they forget.

If the grand plan is to only use a 1st rounder on a player that will start this season you have A) eliminated over half of the positions you can pick for and B) might be leaving a very good player on the board. Woody and Faneca are getting up their in age, if you want to replace them with JAGS or rookies by all mean.

I'm not totally endorsing drafting this guy because there will be plenty of other good players there for us at 29 but these lame arguments that you can find such and such a player anywhere in the draft is plain goofy.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3532270]HUH? If you didn't notice we lead the league in rushing last year with FOUR of our five guys being 1st round picks. Other teams find o-lineman anywhere in the draft.

I take it you would rather have Adriene Clarke between the two than Faneca? Sheesh how soon they forget.

If the grand plan is to only use a 1st rounder on a player that will start this season you have A) eliminated over half of the positions you can pick for and B) might be leaving a very good player on the board. Woody and Faneca are getting up their in age, if you want to replace them with JAGS or rookies by all mean.

I'm not totally endorsing drafting this guy because there will be plenty of other good players there for us at 29 but these lame arguments that you can find such and such a player anywhere in the draft is plain goofy.[/QUOTE]

I somewhat agree with Buzz in the sense that the 1st round OL tend to be guys you can plug in and move forward with. However, in the middle rounds you can find guys who wouldn't be great to put in right away, but with some grooming can be just as awesome in the long run. For the other positions you tend not to get this opportunity in the mid rounds, so if you want an excellent starter down the road you need to take them early. Just my take.

All Pro
    You have to bear in mind that at some point we will stop (maybe have already stopped?) having to draft for need, and go for BAP to build for the future. If a stud player is there and you leave him on the board to pick a guy on need who's not as good value, you can start to go backwards not forwards.

If this team goes to the playoffs / Superbowl this year, it won't be because of our 1st round draft pick this year. It'll be because we already have a strong core and a good supporting cast of role players, who are well coached in effective schemes.

But looking beyond this year, we have a lot of guys getting up there in age - most notably OL and DL. Drafting a guy there a year early is much better than drafting him a year too late, after someone has got injured or broken down. Who's to say that Iupati won't beat out Faneca / Woody for the starter's job anyway?

To look at this another way ... what if Rolando McClain was somehow still on the board when we pick? Do we pass him up because we already have Scott & Harris? BAP should win all the time.

Maybe its a strategy to make teams picking at the top of the second round anxious to the point of believing the Jets are really interested in this player. They would trade picks with the Jets to get back into the first round ala the D. Keller trade in reverse.