Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets have worked out top Guard Mike Iupati.

Jets Insider VIP
    The way the Jets approached the offseason filling holes they have the option to take an OLineman in the 1st.

But considering where 1st round contracts are, it's tough to draft a player and not have him start early (especially Oline). So I agree with Buzz in that respect.

Yes, Iupati is good value at 29, but I prefer to address DLine, DB, or OLB. The DLine is much older than the Oline so taking a DLineman there is more important and better value.

unless the guy can be a top notch RT there's no real reason to consider him in this strong draft class. ryan needs legitimate pass rushers.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3532048]If Iupati were there at 29 he'd be great value... could also possibly kick out to RT and play after Woody is gone... but he's a natural Left guard.[/QUOTE]

Though I am strongly in favor of us taking a DL or OLB to rush the passer in RD 1, I would have no remorse about taking a great OLman like Iupati. Our bread & butter is running the ball. This guy is top of the ladder as far as that goes. Faneca is getting older and can mentor him. IMO: GREAT PICK at 29. Truly BAP if he is there at 29. He is virtually a can't miss player. This draft is deep with DL and OLB. We could move up in rd 2 and secure a quality DLman.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SMC;3532403]Yes, Iupati is good value at 29, but I prefer to address DLine, DB, or OLB. The DLine is much older than the Oline so taking a DLineman there is more important and better value.[/QUOTE]

So much will depend on who else is on the board at the spot we pick - there could be two or three "value / steal" guys available, in which case taking an OL would be more of a luxury pick, if there's value to be had in the front 7.

And besides, I'll be surprised if Iupati is still on the board at 29. And if he is - why not give Indy a call and see what they'd offer to move up to our spot? I'm sure they'd love him as an immediate starter now they let Lilja go (esp. given the GM's comments about the OL following the SB loss).

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JamesR;3532420]So much will depend on who else is on the board at the spot we pick - there could be two or three "value / steal" guys available, in which case taking an OL would be more of a luxury pick, if there's value to be had in the front 7.

And besides, I'll be surprised if Iupati is still on the board at 29. And if he is - why not give Indy a call and see what they'd offer to move up to our spot? I'm sure they'd love him as an immediate starter now they let Lilja go (esp. given the GM's comments about the OL following the SB loss).[/QUOTE]

My gut says that if Iupati is there and a lesser DL or OLB or DB prospect is also there (meaning, good value but not as good as Iupati) the Jets will draft that DL/OLB/DB.

I know the Jets have set themselves up for BAP, but I think they'd go BAP at a position they need rather than pure BAP.

[QUOTE=SMC;3532471]My gut says that if Iupati is there and a lesser DL or OLB or DB prospect is also there (meaning, good value but not as good as Iupati) the Jets will draft that DL/OLB/DB.

I know the Jets have set themselves up for BAP, but I think they'd go BAP at a position they need rather than pure BAP.[/QUOTE]

and if the disparity in value is so great the jets may look to trade back. but most likely, after devoting an entire draft in 2009 to the offense, one huge priority this draft will look to get ellis' successor. whether that happens in round 1 or 2 i don't know.

[QUOTE=SMC;3532471]My gut says that if Iupati is there and a lesser DL or OLB or DB prospect is also there (meaning, good value but not as good as Iupati) the Jets will draft that DL/OLB/DB.

I know the Jets have set themselves up for BAP, but I think they'd go BAP at a position they need rather than pure BAP.[/QUOTE]

My thinking is that Iupati at 29 is that much better than pretty much anyone else I can see being on the board. There's too much value there to go elsewhere to attack other perceived needs.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-20-2010 at 12:25 PM.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3532528]My thinking is that Iupati at 29 is that much better than pretty much anyone else I can see being on the board. There's too much value there to go elsewhere to attack other perceived needs.[/QUOTE]

Bingo Mr. Cat :yes:

Iupati or Anthony Davis have to big a upside to reach for a need.

If we look at the threads over the past few day, here are the first round choices:
    DE - at least 2 different favorites
    OLB - 3 different guys
    WR - 3 guys liked by JI posters
    CB - maybe 4 guys
    S - 2 guys
    RB -
    Cody and other interior DL

And now a guard
    Surprisingly no TE.

If a guy is a good OL he can start right away. Day 1. See Mangold and Brick. Get him the year you need him.
    BTW, as far as late rounds, it must be pointed out that the Jets have not been historically good at develeoping late round OL talent. I have no idea why as other teams have.

I still prefer a DE but will listen to posters here on an OLB without being contrary. I will still be contrary on a WR. LOL.

All Pro
    i'd take Gresham

[QUOTE=Paradis;3532550]i'd take Gresham[/QUOTE]

Most of the time you're reasonable. I think you're looking to create an dispute.
    Now we just need a poster to call for an ILB in the first. It would be too much to hope someone will suggest a QB. LOL

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;3532568]Most of the time you're reasonable. I think you're looking to create an dispute.
    Now we just need a poster to call for an ILB in the first. It would be too much to hope someone will suggest a QB. LOL[/QUOTE]

Only McClain would give me pause for an ILB, that would be epic value at 29.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3532270]HUH? If you didn't notice we lead the league in rushing last year with FOUR of our five guys being 1st round picks. Other teams find o-lineman anywhere in the draft.

I take it you would rather have Adriene Clarke between the two than Faneca? Sheesh how soon they forget.

If the grand plan is to only use a 1st rounder on a player that will start this season you have A) eliminated over half of the positions you can pick for and B) might be leaving a very good player on the board. Woody and Faneca are getting up their in age, if you want to replace them with JAGS or rookies by all mean.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, let me re-state my argument again. Iupati can not beat out any of our current starters, and you don't rotate offensive linemen.

The only two positions where a rookie wouldn't even see the field in 2010 would be OL and QB (we're obviously not taking a QB).

Every other position the rookie can at least get some experience and contribute to the team, and that's IF he doesn't start. A CB can get on the field in nickel and dime packages, a DL/OLB or RB can as part of a rotation, a receiver in multiple sets, etc.
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 03-21-2010 at 12:14 AM.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3532880]Wow, let me re-state my argument again. Iupati can not beat out any of our current starters, and you don't rotate offensive linemen.

The only two positions where a rookie wouldn't even see the field in 2010 would be OL and QB (we're obviously not taking a QB).

Every other position the rookie can at least get some experience and contribute to the team, and that's IF he doesn't start. A CB can get on the field in nickel and dime packages, a DL/OLB or RB can as part of a rotation, a receiver in multiple sets, etc.[/QUOTE]

One year from today, the Jets have cut Faneca and or Woody due to salary concerns or one of them gets hurt. If you pick the player you have a young guy with a taste of the NFL ready to step in rather than a raw rookie. If you don't pick the player you watch some other team have a dominant o-lineman for 10 years. If you are narrowing down your choices to only those who will get a decent amount of playing time of a team that has a lot of their spots filled your choices are going to be pretty narrow.

As I said, I would be surprised if they took this player because there will be a number of really good players there for them at 29 but it's better in my mind to take the better player who will be with you longer term than to take a lesser player just because you are worried about a guy not starting in his 1st year.

If we drafted him he'd see the field. A DE/OLB probably wouldn't see the field. A DL will get rotated heavily. A corner would have to beat out Lowery. A first round safety would probably start, but probably he rotates in to get coached up a year (or 2 with 2011).

Grab the best talent because we're looking to build depth. At least a few of our starters are going to retire soon, and having an Iupati would leave us with no reason to panic.

[QUOTE=SMC;3532471]
    I think they'd go BAP at a position they need rather than pure BAP.[/QUOTE]

LOL...Thats not really BAP...thats really the opposite of BAP. Its filling specific needs and/or holes, which is (I agree) exactly what the Jets WILL do...not BAP.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3532880]Wow, let me re-state my argument again. Iupati can not beat out any of our current starters, and you don't rotate offensive linemen.

[/QUOTE]

An OL would get some playing time in our jumbo package. OK, that might not translate to a whole lot of snaps, but he'd still see the field. (More than VG has done so far :D)

Banned
    Too much value to pass up at 29.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3532262]This is one of my two favorite picks in the first. The other would be Cody. Would be the lock BPA when we pick unless someone even better falls obviously. I think he's the best G prospect since Davin Joseph.[/QUOTE]

I have to say, I agree with Gato on this. Cody, Iupati, Odrick, Tate, K.Wilson, E.Thomas...its all about which BPA falls into our lap. If it's not, then you can bet your arse we are moving up.

With the age of Faneca, I wouldn't mind it. He could learn behind Alan in 2010 and take over in 2011.