Thread: Can Dekoda Watson play OLB in 3-4?

All Pro

Can Dekoda Watson play OLB in 3-4?

He's obviously undersized at 6'1 240. And we generally see smallish DEs make the transition to OLB, but can a guy like Watson make that switch?

Much better in coverage than a converted DE and has shown the ability to get after the QB and make plays behind the LOS. Solidly build, strong and fast as hell.

Maybe he's strictly a 4-3 guy. But he can play. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Green and White.

I could see him bulking up to 245-250 in the pros. He is going to be working in the NFL.

He'd probably play inside, but if he's a better pass rusher than predicted he could definitely play OLB. I think he's a good mid-late round pick for any system.

All Pro
    I do think that he'll add 10 pounds also, which would put him right in that ideal 3-4 OLB range. And he's a little different than most because he can actually cover a little bit.

As for pass-rush technique, I'm not really sure how polished that part of his game is. 6.5 sacks and 16 TFL are both very solid for a 4-3 OLB. So maybe he's a little better in that area than we know of.

I really wish I knew what Rex thought of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I do think that he'll add 10 pounds also, which would put him right in that ideal 3-4 OLB range. And he's a little different than most because he can actually cover a little bit.

As for pass-rush technique, I'm not really sure how polished that part of his game is. 6.5 sacks and 16 TFL are both very solid for a 4-3 OLB. So maybe he's a little better in that area than we know of.

I really wish I knew what Rex thought of his game.
    He's like a watered down Clint Sintim, because he's not as big. He's a better natural athlete.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    He's like a watered down Clint Sintim, because he's not as big. He's a better natural athlete.
    Except Sintim played in a 3-4 and was probably better suited to take on that role at the next level.

Watson is a MUCH better natural athlete. It's not even close.

I don't really know who to compare Watson to in the NFL right now. He's sort of a rare player. Not that he's special, but I just can't think of anyone else who to compare him to... maybe you've got something in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Except Sintim played in a 3-4 and was probably better suited to take on that role at the next level.

Watson is a MUCH better natural athlete. It's not even close.

I don't really know who to compare Watson to in the NFL right now. He's sort of a rare player. Not that he's special, but I just can't think of anyone else who to compare him to... maybe you've got something in mind.
    Meh...Virginia's college 3-4 doesn't really factor into anything for me. Sintim was a good 4-3 OLB prospect too.

Watson's just a good athlete who can develop if he's coached up. I just like his chances better than most guys his size to try out with Rex's D, and because his size stands out he stands out. Plus, 3-4 teams have been taking developmental guys like him and finding uses for them.

All League
    Watson weighed 226 at FSU pro day a few days ago

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Ohh I didn't know he dropped that much weight from the combine.

So there goes that.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    I'll take your word on the 226lbs, did not hear that but he ran in the mid 4.4's....

Watson's game has been going south since his junior season- straight south...physically he runs a 4.5 but mentally he plays a 4.9...too bad- he looked like such a terrific prospect in '07...