Thread: Can Dekoda Watson play OLB in 3-4?

All Pro

Can Dekoda Watson play OLB in 3-4?

He's obviously undersized at 6'1 240. And we generally see smallish DEs make the transition to OLB, but can a guy like Watson make that switch?

Much better in coverage than a converted DE and has shown the ability to get after the QB and make plays behind the LOS. Solidly build, strong and fast as hell.

Maybe he's strictly a 4-3 guy. But he can play. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Green and White.

I could see him bulking up to 245-250 in the pros. He is going to be working in the NFL.

He'd probably play inside, but if he's a better pass rusher than predicted he could definitely play OLB. I think he's a good mid-late round pick for any system.

All Pro
    I do think that he'll add 10 pounds also, which would put him right in that ideal 3-4 OLB range. And he's a little different than most because he can actually cover a little bit.

As for pass-rush technique, I'm not really sure how polished that part of his game is. 6.5 sacks and 16 TFL are both very solid for a 4-3 OLB. So maybe he's a little better in that area than we know of.

I really wish I knew what Rex thought of his game.

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3532330]I do think that he'll add 10 pounds also, which would put him right in that ideal 3-4 OLB range. And he's a little different than most because he can actually cover a little bit.

As for pass-rush technique, I'm not really sure how polished that part of his game is. 6.5 sacks and 16 TFL are both very solid for a 4-3 OLB. So maybe he's a little better in that area than we know of.

I really wish I knew what Rex thought of his game.[/QUOTE]

He's like a watered down Clint Sintim, because he's not as big. He's a better natural athlete.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3532332]He's like a watered down Clint Sintim, because he's not as big. He's a better natural athlete.[/QUOTE]

Except Sintim played in a 3-4 and was probably better suited to take on that role at the next level.

Watson is a MUCH better natural athlete. It's not even close.

I don't really know who to compare Watson to in the NFL right now. He's sort of a rare player. Not that he's special, but I just can't think of anyone else who to compare him to... maybe you've got something in mind.

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3532338]Except Sintim played in a 3-4 and was probably better suited to take on that role at the next level.

Watson is a MUCH better natural athlete. It's not even close.

I don't really know who to compare Watson to in the NFL right now. He's sort of a rare player. Not that he's special, but I just can't think of anyone else who to compare him to... maybe you've got something in mind.[/QUOTE]

Meh...Virginia's college 3-4 doesn't really factor into anything for me. Sintim was a good 4-3 OLB prospect too.

Watson's just a good athlete who can develop if he's coached up. I just like his chances better than most guys his size to try out with Rex's D, and because his size stands out he stands out. Plus, 3-4 teams have been taking developmental guys like him and finding uses for them.

All League
    Watson weighed 226 at FSU pro day a few days ago

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Woody56;3532421]Watson weighed 226 at FSU pro day a few days ago[/QUOTE]

Ohh I didn't know he dropped that much weight from the combine.

So there goes that.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Woody56;3532421]Watson weighed 226 at FSU pro day a few days ago[/QUOTE]

I'll take your word on the 226lbs, did not hear that but he ran in the mid 4.4's....

Watson's game has been going south since his junior season- straight south...physically he runs a 4.5 but mentally he plays a 4.9...too bad- he looked like such a terrific prospect in '07...