names that could make sense to the Jets at 29

Carlos Dunlap Florida
    Dan Williams Tennessee
    Jared Odrick Penn St
    Brian Price UCLA
    Terrence Cody Alabama

some might be off the board

some might be considered "reaches"

but do any of these names appeal to people?

All Pro
    All of them.

I think it's a testament to how deep this draft is for D-lineman. Thinnk back to 2007 draft when Adam Carriker went #13 overall. Where would he go this year?

Most of the players have question marks, Dunlap with motivation, Cody with eating babies etc but that's why they may be available at 29.

I'd be very happy taking a d-lineman because frankly trying to fill current holes with the draft is a poor strateg, rookies often aren't that good for 2-3 years.

Taking players to groom for soon-to-be needs is what makes great teams great, one guy gets old or goes down you plug him in. Look at the Steelers with Woodley and Ziggy Hood, drafted and groomed.

Ellis is 33, Jenks is coming off injury and Douglas is a FA. WE need a slot WR badly and a nickel CB but that D-line is a year away from being an emergency.

All League
    Williams would be an unbelievable pick at 29. Odrick would be a heck of a haul as well. Not too sure if Price is a fit for what we do defensively, but I am not sold that Cody is committed to football so I think that is an ultra bust or boom pick at a position that we are set at starter and backup.

So if Cody is actually the highest rated player when we are on the clock, we should get the hell out of the spot.

The guy I don't know about is Price. Seems to be strickly a 4-3 tackle, a little short, but gives you some Pass Rush, good value at 29 but how does he fit in with Rex?

Williams, Cody, Dunlap, and probably Price will be gone.

Odrick can be had past the first, IMO.

I would take them all but Odrick in the first, though Price probably isn't being looked at as a 3-4 DL.

Carlos Dunlap Florida
    - Too much upside to pass up possibly. Should be gone by the time we pick. Not a fan of Dunlap. Get a bad feeling about him. Kinda hope we are not faced with him being there at 29.

Dan Williams Tennessee
    - I like Williams. Also should be gone by our pick. Seems to have put it all together last year. A good NT prospect for 3-4 teams. Would be shocked if he fell to us.

Jared Odrick Penn St
    - Could be on the board when we pick. Is a somewhat safe pick. I could get behind drafting Odrick if that is what Rex and company felt was the best player on the board.

Brian Price UCLA
    - Might be strictly a 4-3 guy. I would shy away from a player that might be scheme specific. Reminds me of Sedrick Ellis. Keep him in a 4-3.

Terrence Cody Alabama
    - A one trick pony. 2nd round guy. This would be a reach but he wouldn't hurt your team. I could live with it since the idea of Cody and Jenkins on the field at the same time gets me excited. But it would be a reach in my opinion.

was just in a mock draft with Scott Wright and Matt McGuire where all of these players were possibilities around 29 pick

27. DAL - WR Golden Tate, Notre Dame (MB)
    28. SD - DT Dan Williams, Tennessee (MM)
    29. NYJ - DL Jared Odrick, Penn State (SW)
    30. MIN - DT Terrence Cody, Alabama (GD)
    31. IND - DE Jerry Hughes, TCU (MB)

no one took Carlos Dunlap or Brian Price in the first round

(Brandon Graham, Kyle Wilson, Earl Thomas were gone as well)

im not saying it was the world's best mock but there is shaping to be alot of good DL value around that spot

Question

Matt,

Cory Wooten...DL...Northwestern
    Size...injury issue from last year

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    Matt,

What do you think?
    i dont like him... for injury reasons... maybe at 61? maybe not at all.

what about carrington?

Rookie
    I wish we go DL with our first pick,

I agree this will become a team need in the not too distant future,

We also need to improve the pass rush, not only using schemes to put pressure

the jets are fortunate that their need for a de is a strength of the draft and that someone should fall to them. this is the perfect year to draft ellis' replacement in the first round, and then go either cb/s/wr in round 2.

if the jets take a guy like tate in round 1, it would put pressure on them to get a quality dl in round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    Matt,

What do you think?
    Wootton has more upside than any other late round defensive lineman.

at 6-7 275 if he reverts to 2008 form he would totally be a steal .

he holds up better than jared odrick against double teams in the run game

being 25 too 30 pounds lighter. ive seen jared odrick get ragdolled a few times in the run game.

not the case with Wootton.

Dunlap is scary too worry about football dedication and charcter concerns.

Wootoon is impeccable with his character.

All Pro
    consensus i've read and believe seem to be:

Dunlap has slipped into team's rnd 2 stock (rightfully so)
    SD will stands a good chance to take Cody or Odrick (who mayock praised as fit for the jets) leaving us to decided on whichever we're left with
    Dan Williams might not even see #20
    Price isn't for us.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    Wootton has more upside than any other late round defensive lineman.

at 6-7 275 if he reverts to 2008 form he would totally be a steal .

he holds up better than jared odrick against double teams in the run game

being 25 too 30 pounds lighter. ive seen jared odrick get ragdolled a few times in the run game.

not the case with Wootton.

Dunlap is scary too worry about football dedication and charcter concerns.

Wootoon is impeccable with his character.
    What, i suggest anyone waving the Wootton flag do some scouting research. I don't want the Jets to draft him with guys like Cam Thomas, Houston, and Alualu still kicking around. No way.

You can get DL later in the draft......

If the Jets stay put it is going to be very interesting to see who they go with. There is probably one of those guys that the Jets like a lot better than the rest.

Out of that group I like Williams the best.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    what about carrington?
    i love Carrington as a 2nd or 4th rounder instead of the first round DL option. he can pass rush and is really underrated.

Carrington's got short arms.

No really...he's a carbon copy of Shaun Ellis...minus long arms. Very stout player though...seems like a 3rd-4th round pick to me, but I'm running with the "everyone's either a 1st/2nd rounder" theme of pre-draft season.

So...Corey Wootton's the player of the week to underrate? He's also probably a 3rd rounder, but his talent could warrant a 2nd round pick. Moves like a LB for a man his size, yet he's stout and has a big frame to throw some NFL weight on. He'd make an excellent Ellis replacement.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-23-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i love Carrington as a 2nd or 4th rounder instead of the first round DL option. he can pass rush and is really underrated.
    i've seen a bunch of mocks that have the jets taking tate in round 1, and i must admit i'm warming to the idea, b/c i think the talent is there and he'd really make it tough to cover those wrs and play the run. however, there's a need for a pass rush, as well as a guy to groom to eventually replace ellis, and if the jets take tate in round 1, it puts more pressure on them to get a DE they like in the 2nd. in this draft, there's just no excuse not to come away with at least 1 DE prospect in the first 2 rounds, esp. after the cromartie adn poole acquisitions. so for this reason i wonder if the safe play is to take a DE in the first round, even if it's a hybrid like hughes, who i think would really work for them, and then target either a cb or wr in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    What, i suggest anyone waving the Wootton flag do some scouting research. I don't want the Jets to draft him with guys like Cam Thomas, Houston, and Alualu still kicking around. No way.
    Defintely no one knows if the injury slowed him down from the season before.

Or he was protecting himself from ruining his football career.

he did have a decent campaign in 2009.

if it's the latter only suh and mccoy and morgan are better.