Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets re-sign WR David Clowney

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does he finally catch more passes in the regular season than the pre-season this year?

::fingers crossed::

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uh guys...

The Jets did not draft Clowney.

But carry on.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;3532634]He had 191 Yds with a TD as 4th String reciever, including a 53 yarder. Seems pretty good to me.[/QUOTE]

He lit the Raiders up last year. lol!!! He needs to BULK-UP if he expets to contribute more this year. I hope he show's up at camp close to 200 lbs. He will be a force to stop if he could just gain alittle weight.:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;3532634]He had 191 Yds with a TD as 4th String reciever, including a 53 yarder. Seems pretty good to me.[/QUOTE]

It's not good at all considering some expected him to be a #3. And those numbers are even lousy by #4 standards.

Hopefully he has more of an impact this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clowney has to feel good that an additional roster spot opened up when Wallace Wright went to Carolina. Allison will challenge him coming off IR as the speed guy, then there is the "little Danny Woodhead " experiment at WR, an experiment that I think that Rex want see succeed. Marcus henry is still hanging around trying for a spot. Then of course there is the draft, Golden Tate, possibly Demaryius Thomas could make Clowney an ex-Jet.
    I would feel better about David's chances if he could play special Teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CV 40;3532642]Uh guys...

The Jets did not draft Clowney.

But carry on.[/QUOTE]

Signed...drafted...either way he sucks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetOrange;3532650]Clowney has to feel good that an additional roster spot opened up when Wallace Wright went to Carolina. Allison will challenge him coming off IR as the speed guy, then there is the "little Danny Woodhead " experiment at WR, an experiment that I think that Rex want see succeed. Marcus henry is still hanging around trying for a spot. Then of course there is the draft, Golden Tate, possibly Demaryius Thomas could make Clowney an ex-Jet.
    [B]I would feel better about David's chances if he could play special Teams[/B].[/QUOTE]

He doesn't even return kicks. A 4th WR who doesn't catch many passes and doesn't play specials in any capacity has no place on an NFL roster.

Unless something clicks for DC, he's a goner because Allison can do nothing in the passing game just as well -- at least he can return kicks.

I also hope the Paperboy Project is over. Woodhead just doesn't belong here and he's taking up a roster spot that can be used by someone who does belong, maybe Chauncey Washington.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3532647]It's not good at all considering some expected him to be a #3. And those numbers are even lousy by #4 standards.

Hopefully he has more of an impact this year.[/QUOTE]

i'm not a Clowney advocate by any means, but when looking at his numbers you have to consider that:

A) he didn't get many looks on offense, even when JCo was hurt,

B) we had a rookie QB,

C) as a result of B, we ran the ball a whole lot.

and again, i'm not one of those "Unleash the Clownz11!!!!1" fanboys. to me, he hasn't proven jack ****, but it'd be stupid for the Jets to let him go in light of our current WR depth/talent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need someone to make our 3rd string QB's look like bombs away playmakers in preseason.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3532665]i'm not a Clowney advocate by any means, but when looking at his numbers you have to consider that:

A) he didn't get many looks on offense, even when JCo was hurt,

B) we had a rookie QB,

C) as a result of B, we ran the ball a whole lot.

and again, i'm not one of those "Unleash the Clownz11!!!!1" fanboys. to me, he hasn't proven jack ****, but it'd be stupid for the Jets to let him go in light of our current WR depth/talent.[/QUOTE]

Clowney is part of the problem when it comes to the current depth concerns at the WR position. Would it really matter if he were cut and Tannenbaum said, "we're confident in the ability of the other players we have."

Even if they're not, it doesn't really matter. Clowney's production won't be missed and he's not even average for a #4 in the NFL. He is so easily replaced, it's not even worth talking about.

Maybe this is his year to break out like so many of us have hoped for. But I'm done with the hope. I'd rather just move in another direction and give someone else a chance to do slightly more than nothing.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its a depth signing. I like it. Clowney has been given limited chances and although I am not a huge supporter I think he gets a little too much heat around here. We need the depth and lets see if he can play specials. Hopefully we're in good enough position at WR that Clowney is expendable later in the year but at this point we are not. I still think this kid can play. Maybe it all comes together for him this year. Maybe not.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3532569]I'm surprised the Jets are bringing him back as he hasn't been able to produce on the field. He has the speed but hasn't been able to show it when it counts.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of that is actually on Sanchez tbh. Clowney got open quie a bit when he played, but Sanchez didn't look to him and he needs to improve on getting to his 3rd and checkdown reads.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever :zzz:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=johnnysd;3532691]I think a lot of that is actually on Sanchez tbh. Clowney got open quie a bit when he played, but Sanchez didn't look to him and he needs to improve on getting to his 3rd and checkdown reads.[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!!! Give that man a cigar!! There were several games where I noticed Clowney open but Sanchez either didn't see him or was focused on other receivers. Don't get me wrong, I think Clowney's biggest weakness is route running. He is plenty big enough, certainly fast enough and has adequate enough hands to be able to contribute if he gets more opportunities. It is up to him to get stronger (to disengage at the LOS) and become a better route runner. I do agree with many that because he doesn't play special teams his days may be numbered.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clowney played starters snaps in only 3 weeks, and put up 70+ recieving yards twice in that span.

No, he's not a slot WR, but he makes for good depth.

Jets Insider VIP
    JI Staff Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Clowney deserves a shot to make the team

He had very few opportunities last season. What harm is there in having him compete for a spot on the team this summer?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I donít understand what all the David Clowney hate is about. The guy looks like he is going to be a pretty good receiver.

He has had very few chances, but when he has he has made good use of the opportunity. The Raiders game was the only game he had started this year. Sanchez only completed 9 passes for 143 yards. Clowney had 4 catches for 80 yards and a TD Not to bad.

Here is a video of every Sanchez pass that game. Watch it then tell us why Clowney sucks.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02FX_o3yu2k[/url]

Clowney has blazing speed, and very good hands. His main problem, like 90% of young WRís has been his route running. WRís usually take 3 years to develop into anything. This is his third year.

Iím of course not talking about Jerry Rice, but he just might develop into a very nice receiver. Keep in mind the Jets ran the ball over 600 times last season

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    REALLY hope he gets his ish together this year and makes some standout plays.
    He'd get a lot more love if he'd come down with that catch in the playoffs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Preseason Championship is locked!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't cover the clown.