Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good for Ty Warren

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for Ty Warren

Another story about a Pat skipping workouts - but this one's all positive:

[QUOTE][URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nwe"]New England Patriots[/URL] defensive end [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4471"]Ty Warren[/URL] is forfeiting a $250,000 offseason workout bonus to complete his Texas A&M degree.

Warren told ESPN "First Take" host Dana Jacobson he made the decision to be prepared for the looming lockout and to set an example for his children. Warren has three daughters and another child on the way.

"I've got to be a leader of my household as well as a leader on that team," Warren said. "I earned my bones as being a guy that shows up to work on a daily basis with the Patriots organization to do what I'm doing now. It's as sacrifice that I chose to make. I've got to live with it, right, wrong or indifferent."

ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss wrote about Warren's academic pursuit and noted this is the [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4999283"]first time since Warren entered the league[/URL] as a 2003 first-round draft choice he will miss significant chunks of the offseason program.

Warren, who recorded 57 tackles and one sack last year, told Reiss he would attend mandatory workouts.

Warren is on track to complete his agriculture development and leadership degree in the spring of 2011.

"I hate to say my career may end tomorrow," Warren said, "but in reality that could happen, and you've got to be prepared for that." [/QUOTE]

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11738/why-ty-warren-turned-down-250000[/url]

Warren's got his head on straight. Good for him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its good that the guys is going back to school and all but I think the coverage is a bit much.

The man has millions and they are making a big deal about him passing up 250,000? Give me a break.

Good for him and being smart about going back to school but give it a rest. With the way the economy is now do they really expect middle America to pat this guy on that back?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets31;3532856]Its good that the guys is going back to school and all but I think the coverage is a bit much.

The man has millions and they are making a big deal about him passing up 250,000? Give me a break.

Good for him and being smart about going back to school but give it a rest. With the way the economy is now do they really expect middle America to pat this guy on that back?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, $250K is still a large amount of money, even to a guy like Ty whose contract guaranteed him $18M. A DL's career can be pretty short so I wouldn't just dismiss it. In today's sports culture, so many kids in college leave for the pros without any intention of ever completing their education, I think it sends a terrific message.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He doesn't eat, breathe, and live football. Not a Rex guy.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not show your kids how smart you are by taking the $250K, and then completing your degree in a couple years when you retire. Degree will always be there there for the taking, $250K won't be.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sheptr;3532864]Why not show your kids how smart you are by taking the $250K, and then completing your degree in a couple years when you retire. Degree will always be there there for the taking, $250K won't be.[/QUOTE]

Somehow, with his rookie contract and the new deal he has signed since, I don't think $250K is going to break the bank for him. If he is smart enough to do something like this, then he isn't dumb enough to be the "typical" athlete who buys 7 houses, 16 cars, 2 boats, and all kinds of other dumb ****.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for Warren. This might show his kids that education is more important than money, but a degree in [B]agriculture development and leadership[/B] ... WTF?!
    Last edited by JetBidi; 03-21-2010 at 12:07 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for him. But that being said, I saw him interviewed on ESPN a couple days ago about this topic, and he is probably the most boring interview I've ever seen in my life.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3532863]He doesn't eat, breathe, and live football. Not a Rex guy.[/QUOTE]

+1 LOL :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    good for Warren.

but you just know that the Psycho is crazy, angry, pissed about this and, who knows when you are dealing with a loon, could possibly dump him to the Rams or the Chiefs for a draft choice he won't even see for two full years as he did with his best Defensive Lineman, Seymour last year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sheptr;3532864]Why not show your kids how smart you are by taking the $250K, and then completing your degree in a couple years when you retire. Degree will always be there there for the taking, $250K won't be.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!!!

Why does everyone keep saying good for him?

I don't care what he's getting a degree in but he'd end up with more money in the bank if he took that quarter mil and worried about his degree later. To me it sounds like he's lazy and doesn't want to workout.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsVille51;3532933]Thank you!!!!

I don't care what he's getting a degree in but he'd end up with more money in the bank if he took that quarter mil and worried about his degree later. To me it sounds like he's lazy and doesn't want to workout.[/QUOTE]

Because he - unlike you and Shep - seems to realize that education is a value in and of itself, and (particularly when you already have plenty in the bank) is actually worth more than money.

Which means he has more sound priorities than a good portion of the population.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3532915]good for Warren.

but you just know that the Psycho is crazy, angry, pissed about this and, who knows when you are dealing with a loon, could possibly dump him to the Rams or the Chiefs for a draft choice he won't even see for two full years as he did with his best Defensive Lineman, Seymour last year[/QUOTE]

SG tries too hard.

WHIFF :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FauxJet07;3532947]SG tries too hard.

WHIFF :yes:[/QUOTE]

boyntonbeach is right

you are a moron

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetBidi;3532879]Good for Warren. This might show his kids that education is more important than money, but a degree in [B]agriculture development and leadership[/B] ... WTF?![/QUOTE]

I heard that following advice of his coach he switched to cinematography and sound recording.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;3532942]Because he - unlike you and Shep - seems to realize that education is a value in and of itself, and (particularly when you already have plenty in the bank) is actually worth more than money.

Which means he has more sound priorities than a good portion of the population.[/QUOTE]

thanks doggin, I was basically going to say the same thing.

And he has earned the right to miss the practices, and is showing his kids that while he is going to lose money, he is showing his children that an education is more important, and that is MORE valuable than the 250K in the bank.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3532950]boyntonbeach is right

you are a moron[/QUOTE].

[QUOTE=RussianGreen;3532983]I smell personal attack. Mods, please ban SG3 ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real reason? He didn't want to see Beluga Brady with his shirt off.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsVille51;3532933]Thank you!!!!

I don't care what he's getting a degree in but he'd end up with more money in the bank if he took that quarter mil and worried about his degree later. To me it sounds like he's lazy and doesn't want to workout.[/QUOTE]

Umm...what?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's good because he will be missing offseason conditioning like Tommi (boxing and figure skating practice) and Randi (lockpicking, carjacking and domestic abuse practice)