Thread: The "Zomg we got Iupati draft!"

The "Zomg we got Iupati draft!"

2010 5th for Anthony Montgomery
    Tye Hill
    Cromartie
    LT
    Folk

Draft:

1: Mike Iupati - F*ck yeah a top talent.

2: D'Anthony Smith - Don't be surprised on draft day to hear him drafted higher than expected. Could go as high as the second on the realz. Can remind some 3-4 teams of Luis Castillo, though Castillo ran a 4.75 at the combine at 295. I'd also accept "Corey Wootton." Yes, Corey Wootton of Northwestern. Go Wildcats ahah!

4: Carlton Mitchell - 6'3 215 with 4.4 speed. Willing run blocker.

5: Kendrick Lewis - I'm not original alot of the time.

6: Adrian Tracy - Good athlete for Rex to work on after Gholston. DE/OLB.

7: Zoltan Mesko - Last 3 picks were on auto, but good auto.

I think we grab some UDFA CBs and a RB.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-21-2010 at 01:47 AM.

I'm sorry but drafting an o-linemen with any of our first three picks would be powerfully stupid. Our five o-line starters for next season are set, so a rookie is only going to play in the event of an injury. You draft backups later in the draft or sign cheap FAs, you don't use a first round pick on one. If you want to draft Faneca's or Woody's replacement, do it next season.

I don't care if Iupati is the highest rated player on the board, we have other needs that outweigh the supposed value. The first three picks need to be some combo of defensive and offensive playmakers. End rant.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanmack View Post
    I'm sorry but drafting an o-linemen with any of our first three picks would be powerfully stupid. Our five o-line starters for next season are set, so a rookie is only going to play in the event of an injury. You draft backups later in the draft or sign cheap FAs, you don't use a first round pick on one. If you want to draft Faneca's or Woody's replacement, do it next season.

I don't care if Iupati is the highest rated player on the board, we have other needs that outweigh the supposed value. The first three picks need to be some combo of defensive and offensive playmakers. End rant.
    What position besides S do you think a rookie can come right in and take?

I think EVERY player we take this draft starts as a b/u this season. There is NOTHING wrong with drafting a guy who can back up every position on the oline this year, and eventually start in a year or two.... especially giving Faneca and Woody's age.... and contracts.
    Last edited by Starkweather; 03-21-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post

I think EVERY player we take this draft starts as a b/u this season. There is NOTHING wrong with drafting a guy who can back up every position on the oline this year, and eventually start in a year or two.... especially giving Faneca and Woody's age.
    The idea of drafting Iupati is growing on me. The Jets are setting up to be contenders for SEVERAL years to come...not just this season, so getting a stud G for depth now and replacement for Faneca later. This draft is stupid deep on defense as well. Tanny can get great value in the later rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by zonajetfan View Post
    The idea of drafting Iupati is growing on me. The Jets are setting up to be contenders for SEVERAL years to come...not just this season, so getting a stud G for depth now and replacement for Faneca later. This draft is stupid deep on defense as well. Tanny can get great value in the later rounds.

From the Jets perspective. Mangold and Brick started day 1. You can get a OL guy to start any year in the first round. Get him when you need him.
    As far as starters on the Jets, it is not far fetched to see a round 1 rookie DE start day 1. Safety? Jets look pretty good at S. Need more depth at CB. Round 5.

Let us assume that there will be a CAP next year.There are many fans that believe in this no cap year, the time is now to lock up Mangold , Brick, Revis and possibly Edwards. In 2011 it will cost you an additional 20 million in cap space (5 million each). As you know in 2009 we were maxxed out in our CAP There are a lot of factors , but Tanny need to make up that 20 million. Faneca had a good season , but he is not an 8 million dollar player, its time to move on . Gholston is as good as cut at the end of the year, thats another 5 million Woody has been threatening retirement if he goes its another 5, Tanny is made whole. I am play fast and loose with the numbers, but the point is The Jets need to prepare for the departure of Faneca and Woody or both. Iupati is the most dominant guard in this years draft, and many believe he can play RT. If Iupati falls grab him.
    Smith is a huge reach, I would gamble on Wooton. I have always felt that obtaining Montgomery with a fifth would be a great move, but the Skins , with very few draft picks , are not going to let it happen. If you like WR Demaryious Thomas, Carlton Mitchell is a cheap (4th round) alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post

I think EVERY player we take this draft starts as a b/u this season. There is NOTHING wrong with drafting a guy who can back up every position on the oline this year, and eventually start in a year or two.... especially giving Faneca and Woody's age.... and contracts.
    DE over DeVito and Douglas if he comes back. OLB over Gholston and Thomas.
    A WR wouldn't start but would see the field plenty in 3WR sets. A CB or RB drafted would play more than an o-linemen

Even if a S, DE, or OLB doesn't start, he'll still play. O-linemen play every snap so a rookie wouldn't play unless of an injury.

I don't care if Iupati is the highest rated player on the board, we have other needs that outweigh the supposed value.
    Praise Jah that you're not GM.

What needs do we have that are that serious that we absolutely MUST pass on a consensus top talent for someone else? The Jets would be lucky if Iupati were to fall to 29, to pass on him would be stupid unless we got more back in a trade.

Orange, why would the 'Skins turn down more draft picks?
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-21-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zonajetfan View Post
    +1

Iupati looks real solid. Would it be a luxury pick? Yes but like you said it's with the future in mind and better to get a sure thing like Iupati then take a risk on a possible Gholston who supposedly fills a void.

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post

My apologies, I misspoke. The Skins have the newly acquired veteren Kemoatua at NT in their new 3-4. Montgomery is the only backup at the nose, and will used in their rotation. The draft choice the Skins would get is the last pick in the fifth round, no way they can get a decent backup NT with that pick. So Montgomerys value to the Skins has changed from a fourth DT in a a 4-3 to a backup NT in the newly created 3-4.
    Montgomery would be a typical Tannebaum pickup, low risk, getting a 335 lb expieranced DT. only 26, for a fifth round pick, very nice...

All League
    Praise Jah that you're not GM.

What needs do we have that are that serious that we absolutely MUST pass on a consensus top talent for someone else? The Jets would be lucky if Iupati were to fall to 29, to pass on him would be stupid unless we got more back in a trade.

I haven't gone out on a limb since saying we're NOT drafting Pettigrew last year. I'll do it again and say we definitely are NOT drafting an OL at 29 and keeping him. Draft and trade, small chance.
    Last edited by NYJCAP2; 03-21-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    I haven't gone out on a limb since saying we're NOT drafting Pettigrew last year. I'll do it again and say we definitely are NOT drafting an OL at 29 and keeping him. Draft and trade, small chance.
    You're probably right but Pettigrew was an overrated prospect and Tanny seemed to know that. Iupati is going to be a better Guard than Pettigrew a tight end.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    +1

Iupati looks real solid. Would it be a luxury pick? Yes but like you said it's with the future in mind and better to get a sure thing like Iupati then take a risk on a possible Gholston who supposedly fills a void.
    LMAO- you whined like a little girl about how horrible Alan Faneca is but now claim Iupati is a "luxury" pick???

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    One of the 5 best OL in this class, and one of the G prospects in a long time? Yeah, OK. Maybe if we were talking about John Jerry in the first or something, not one of the best talents available in this draft, period.

I don't get how everyone's desperate for a guy like Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham, guys who aren't the clear cut top players at their positions or even clear cut first rounders, but Iupati is controversial.

The most likely reason we don't draft Iupati is because he doesn't reach us. He's much more likely to reach his upside than a DE/OLB we'd be developing behind Pace, Thomas, Gholston, and Westerman. He's also more likely to take a starting spot in 2012 after retirements and lockout. Also, believe it or not, it's possible that we'll get a good pass rusher outside of the first round.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-21-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

The most likely reason we don't draft Iupati is because he doesn't reach us.
    Pittsburgh...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Pittsburgh...
    Yep. He's the exact player they'd be looking for, and their 16 pick is right around where a top G prospect would be valued in a good draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    If we are to have a great Ol for the long haul, Iaupati will help in that process. he is rock solid. If he is there at 29 id take him. In rd 2 we can get a pass rusher. Pleanty are available.

I'm sorry but drafting an o-linemen with any of our first three picks would be powerfully stupid.
    I disagree. You can make a case that O-line depth is our biggest need. And we've seen in the past what happens when our front office ignores the position.
    Last edited by RichardTodd27; 03-22-2010 at 09:00 AM.

All League
    One of the 5 best OL in this class, and one of the G prospects in a long time? Yeah, OK. Maybe if we were talking about John Jerry in the first or something, not one of the best talents available in this draft, period.

I don't get how everyone's desperate for a guy like Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham, guys who aren't the clear cut top players at their positions or even clear cut first rounders, but Iupati is controversial.

The most likely reason we don't draft Iupati is because he doesn't reach us. He's much more likely to reach his upside than a DE/OLB we'd be developing behind Pace, Thomas, Gholston, and Westerman. He's also more likely to take a starting spot in 2012 after retirements and lockout. Also, believe it or not, it's possible that we'll get a good pass rusher outside of the first round.
    The Jets think they can win the SB this year. Why on earth would they spend the 29th pick on a player that will not help that cause? We have the best line in football. Good lineman come out every year.

Someone that will give them the best chance to win this year is a player that will score TD's, cover WR's, rush the passer, stuff the run.

The Jets think they can win the SB this year. Why on earth would they spend the 29th pick on a player that will not help that cause?
    Because drafts are done with more than one year in mind.

Because it's highly unlikely anyone from the draft starts.